Notices

coolant change help

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2012, 10:42 PM
bomber75
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant change help

hello guys, new owner of a 1998 uk turbo! needs a bit tlc and im gonna start with a coolant flush, took bottom rad pipe off and plug but coolant is hardy coming out. sucked it out of the header tank with a wet vac and re filled with about 6 litres with the bottom pipe and plug off! no water dropping out unless i suck it with the vac! am i doing something wrong here??

cheers guys

gary
Old 17 June 2012, 10:24 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It takes a while to come out, there should be a tiny plastic tap sticking out at the opposite side of the rad to the bottom hose, that's where I drain mine and drained Andys when we did his. Remove the plug completely and walk away for half an hour.
It's also a good idea to remove and back-flush the rad.

Then refill using a funnel stuffed down the rearmost of the pipes off the metal header tank on top of the engibne. Refill slowly to avoid glugging, or it will airlock and there is NO way to bleed it.

Do it with the heaters in the car set to hot. Refill until it brims, replace pipe, start engine and watch until it runs hot and fans cut in, mopping, or topping, up as appropriate.

Then replace cap, and still with heaters on hot, drive round the block.

Allow to cool, remove top and top up if needed.
That's it.
Don't forget 50% mix of DECENT anti-freeze.
Old 13 December 2012, 07:32 PM
StevieL81
Scooby Regular

Good info that ^^^

Mines a 98 WRX Import, I take it I top up at the coolant reservoir? How much do I fill it, to the top or....?

I've looked on here and a few online places but can't find the proper info I need
Old 13 December 2012, 08:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you drained it?

if so, refill by pouring collant into a funnel, stuffed down the rearmost pipe taken off the header tank on the top of the engine. Go SLOW and don't let it glug, or gurgle.

Make sure the heater is set to HOT.

Once liquid is seen to fill the header tank, stop filling, replace pipe, and with heater still set to hot, cap still off header tank, styart engine and aloow to come to temperature.

Mop up or top up as needed. Once the fan(s) cut in, stop engine, replace cap and go for a drive round the block. Allow to cool, check level in header tank, adjust as necessary and job's a good'un.
Old 13 December 2012, 08:41 PM
StevieL81
Scooby Regular

Not drained it yet, its got low, going to drive home tomorrow (about 100 miles) and fault find from there to see where its going, I'm away, got no tools, been finishing late all week so not had a chance to look here.
Old 13 December 2012, 08:45 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

top it up b4 u drive home tomorrow, when u want to drain it, pull off the bottom hose and then remove the thermostat. take a look and check it in hot water. best way to drain is to remove the stat. refit and refill as stated by alcazar, best way to do it.
Old 13 December 2012, 08:50 PM
StevieL81
Scooby Regular

Cool, cheers. Anyone recommend a coolant? I've got about 4l of Halfrauds pre-mixed red stuff kicking around. The car isn't anything special so not wanting to be spending a fortune on it.