Notices

Power steering pump bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2012, 03:07 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power steering pump bleeding

When I changed my engine and turbo etc last year I had to change my power steering pump (due to front entry turbo) and since then I've been experiencing intermittent power steering with a notchy feeling through the steering wheel that cleared by going from lock to lock.

We put this down to a faulty power steering pump so last night I changed the pump again and bled the system but every time I bleed the system through and turn the car off I lose power steering next time I start the engine

The car was on the flat in my garage when I bled the system and I went from lock to lock several times until the steering was normal and I held the revs up.

Have I done something wrong or have I managed to pick up another faulty pump? The car hasn't been driven yet, I just moved it out of my garage today and I'd lost all assistance again.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 13 June 2012, 03:31 PM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulo P
When I changed my engine and turbo etc last year I had to change my power steering pump (due to front entry turbo) and since then I've been experiencing intermittent power steering with a notchy feeling through the steering wheel that cleared by going from lock to lock.

We put this down to a faulty power steering pump so last night I changed the pump again and bled the system but every time I bleed the system through and turn the car off I lose power steering next time I start the engine

The car was on the flat in my garage when I bled the system and I went from lock to lock several times until the steering was normal and I held the revs up.

Have I done something wrong or have I managed to pick up another faulty pump? The car hasn't been driven yet, I just moved it out of my garage today and I'd lost all assistance again.

Thanks,

Paul

More than likely a faulty pump, they are self bleeding after a few lock to lock of the steering
Old 13 June 2012, 06:37 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that must be the case because I've just bled it again and been for a drive and whilst driving I lost power steering towards the ends of the rack again
Old 14 June 2012, 06:51 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my pump off this year stripped it down thoroughly cleaned it put it back topped up with power steering fluid lock to lock job done , sounds like you have a faulty pump again .