Notices

Decent quality headers and up-pipe for TD05?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2012, 04:43 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent quality headers and up-pipe for TD05?

Hello guys can anyone recommend a decent set of headers and up-pipe to suit my V1 WRX with TD05? I currently have a cheap fleabay set fitted but the flanges are cr*p and they keep blowing gaskets, had the car mapped today with decent brand new gaskets and they did't even last the session. Ideally I would like to spend no more than £200 but I realise I may have to look at second hand for this money.
Old 01 June 2012, 05:05 PM
GezP
Scooby Regular

To be honest mate I'd pay almost double that for second hand decent headers.

IMHO they're are only three decent headers, Harvey's, rcm and lateral. All of these are proven and not cheap crap
Old 01 June 2012, 05:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Drop Harvey an e-mail or PM: he will advise, free, then, if you decide you want to go ahead, sell you both the right headers and a decent trick up-pipe to match your turbo, your aspirations and your pocket.
Old 01 June 2012, 05:09 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above Harvey ported headers with his up pipe and you should be OK.

About the RCM/Lateral GT Spec headers not sure if this will be for your needs overkill

Jura
Old 01 June 2012, 05:12 PM
GezP
Scooby Regular

I thought he was after some tubular headers as he changed his standard headers, but if not as above about the ported headers will be great
Old 01 June 2012, 05:19 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, I had read that harvey was the man to speak to but wasn't sure wether he was back working again after his accident. I was looking at the japspeed ones @ £229 but they don't look any better than the ones I've got, think I was kinda hoping there would be a middle of the road supplier. I just want reliability as my driving manner tends to make cars fall apart around me lol
Will give him a PM
Old 01 June 2012, 05:22 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GezP
I thought he was after some tubular headers as he changed his standard headers, but if not as above about the ported headers will be great
Yeah tubular headers ideally buddy, didn't realise my standard headers could have been ported otherwise I wouldn't of thrown them away!!
Old 01 June 2012, 06:32 PM
GezP
Scooby Regular

Everyone rants and raves about Harvey's ported headers. I've got one of his turbos which is brill. Stick with his ported ones until uve got the power need and cash for proper (not cheap ones, there's a reason why a good set will cost over £500) tubular headers.
Old 01 June 2012, 06:38 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I'm running ported at 440 they are a bit limiting at that level but spool is amazing!
Old 01 June 2012, 06:44 PM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

you can get for kakumei headers which are very good qualty for about £340 deliverd (as long as you don't get import tax)

http://www.kakumei-motorsports.com/p...me=IM-HDR-02G2
Old 02 June 2012, 02:59 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

The choice of headers and uppipe is critical to the performance you can achieve.
A lot will depend on your future plans. If you have a TD05 16G then ported headers and matched uppipe are your best option and the uppipe which is stainless is also slip jointed to relieve strain on the header set itself.
Tubular headers of good quality are £445 from me, the same as sold by RCMS, Lateral etc. £105 for DEI heat wrapping and £149 for the trick 3 bolt uppipe, slip jointed, DEI heat wrapped along with five new Subaru studs.
Unless you have plans to go further the ported headers are what you want but if you plan to exceed around 400 bhp you might want to think about tubular now which are less than ideal for your spec.
The Kakumei headers pictured above look the same as Japspeed. This velocity stack in the uppipe is a pure load of baloney which is why I brought out the trick uppipe. Also note that solid uppipes add greater stress/tension to the tubular header set which results in cracking in many cases.
Old 02 June 2012, 06:01 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
The choice of headers and uppipe is critical to the performance you can achieve.
A lot will depend on your future plans. If you have a TD05 16G then ported headers and matched uppipe are your best option and the uppipe which is stainless is also slip jointed to relieve strain on the header set itself.
Tubular headers of good quality are £445 from me, the same as sold by RCMS, Lateral etc. £105 for DEI heat wrapping and £149 for the trick 3 bolt uppipe, slip jointed, DEI heat wrapped along with five new Subaru studs.
Unless you have plans to go further the ported headers are what you want but if you plan to exceed around 400 bhp you might want to think about tubular now which are less than ideal for your spec.
The Kakumei headers pictured above look the same as Japspeed. This velocity stack in the uppipe is a pure load of baloney which is why I brought out the trick uppipe. Also note that solid uppipes add greater stress/tension to the tubular header set which results in cracking in many cases.
Cheers harvey, I'm not looking at any more than 350 tops so sounds like your standard ported headers with matched up-pipe will be ideal. Can I have some pricing please and expected lead time, I take it you will want an exchange unit? Will have a dig around as I did have a couple sets but fear I may have binned them. Thanks
Old 03 June 2012, 12:21 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Hi Big Chief : What clan are you ?
The info you require is here at post 15. Ported are definately the best choice for a TD05 16G and I can ship next day as a rule as I keep several sets in stock.
Yes I need your old headers back but you can keep or junk the uppipe.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-required.html

Let me know if you need more information.
Old 04 June 2012, 12:31 AM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Hi Big Chief : What clan are you ?
The info you require is here at post 15. Ported are definately the best choice for a TD05 16G and I can ship next day as a rule as I keep several sets in stock.
Yes I need your old headers back but you can keep or junk the uppipe.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-required.html

Let me know if you need more information.
lol bit of a nickname from my younger days buddy, kinda stuck!
Excellent mate, will go for the ported headers with matched up pipe, I can lay my hands on a set of standard headers to exchange so all good.
How do I go about paying you mate? you got paypal?
Cheers
Old 05 June 2012, 04:30 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GezP
To be honest mate I'd pay almost double that for second hand decent headers.

IMHO they're are only three decent headers, Harvey's, rcm and lateral. All of these are proven and not cheap crap

Not to sure about paying double £200 for a set of used ported headers,I got a set of Harvey ported headers with uppipe for a td05 16g for £100 posted off here ,I just needed to rewrap them.They made a amazing difference to the way the car drove as well,with the turbo spooling up not to far from what my td04 use to start.

Last edited by midnight; 05 June 2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05 June 2012, 04:58 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Also worth noting, after i bought these, a mate asked me to get him a set if some should come up, and a couple of weeks later I bought a set of used *** headers for £100 off a breaker on here.These were extremelly well wrapped with good quality steel ties.However once the headers were taken apart, due to the new headers not having a plug for the lambda sensor.It was discovered that they had only been ported on the outside only ,all the internal pipes were std ,as was the upipe. So make sure if you do buy a used set they are of Harvey,RCM,or Lateral,which are proven .
Old 05 June 2012, 10:29 AM
GezP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight

Not to sure about paying double £200 for a set of used ported headers,I got a set of Harvey ported headers with uppipe for a td05 16g for £100 posted off here ,I just needed to rewrap them.They made a amazing difference to the way the car drove as well,with the turbo spooling up not to far from what my td04 use to start.

As mentioned above mate, I originally thought he was talking about tubular headers not just standard ported headers.

If a set of tubular headers came up second hand that were made by Harvey, RCM etc would of thought they would be worth at least £350 if in good condition.
Old 05 June 2012, 10:56 AM
Gaz7612
Scooby Regular

I've got a set of 3bolt gt spec headers you could have for £250. I've removed the heat wrap to check for cracks ( of which there are non).
Old 05 June 2012, 12:04 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

On a TD05 16G you are taking a step backwards if you fit tubular headers compared with properly ported OE Subaru headers and matched uppipe.
Old 05 June 2012, 12:30 PM
5cooby1
Scooby Regular

Off topic but what would you recommend for a classic running a vf35.

Thanks
Old 06 June 2012, 08:35 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

340 bhp turbo. Best with ported headers and matched uppipe and this is considerably cheaper than the next best alternative, GT2 Spec type, heat wrapped, with trick uppipe.