Notices

car hesatating badly

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2012, 06:04 AM
astraab
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car hesatating badly

hi guiys , my 93 wrx import started playing up last night .. now it seems if i want to give it some beans , it sound like the turbo is spooling but it hasatats massivly then without warning at about 5k rpm just boosts and full power is there , at low rpm somtimes if i pull away it missfires and almost cuts out but never has yet , now i read the codes , came up with 32 , had a look under the bonnet and the 02 sensor on the turbo elbow the conections have been cut off , now could an 02 sensor cause all this?????? no cel light comes on when driving as this happens ....

oh also sometise as well after some heavy driving on idle i get a really wierd sound from the inlet almost like a whistling or whining , the car seems down on power , but if i quickly turn off engine and back on again this solves that problem , didnt know if the wastegat could get stuck or not as my first thought was turbo but theres no play and it turns very freely ,, its annoying , i dont wanna kill my car any help would be great
Old 28 May 2012, 08:14 AM
P4UL
Scooby Regular

If the original ECU is still in place I would have thought that the O2 sensor was required as this is required to tell the ECU if the correct amount of fuel has been added from the measured air flow, i.e part of the closed loop control system. Might be wrong though, but does not explain no cel light, have you checked the bulb isn't duff.
Old 28 May 2012, 03:58 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A few pieces of advice:
1. Check the turbo inlet hose is connected and secure with no holes
2. Check your spark plugs and coil packs (does the 93 have coil packs too?); I had what felt like massive lag midway through the rev range - all it was was an old spark plug that hadn't been replaced - changed all 4, car ran like new!
3. If the O2 sensor is faulty it won't cause that sort of behaviour; you just get a CEL and IIRC the ECU overfuels to compensate.
Old 28 May 2012, 09:33 PM
astraab
Scooby Newbie

i think its individual coil packs . what spark plugs do thet take and what shout they be gapped at? also what kind of uprated coil packs are out there for these ?
Old 29 May 2012, 07:03 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Standard UK cars take NGK PFR6 plugs.
Think it might be 6B derivative but check it in a manual.
Gap advice depends on modded level of the car.
For standard, 0.8mm, but for modded you can go 0.7 or even 0.65mm for a little more return.
Old 30 May 2012, 07:37 PM
astraab
Scooby Newbie

ok well i fopund a loose pipe and reconnected but it didnt help so these are things i have noticed 3 conections that i cant see hwere they go too , im hoping that 1 is a lamda 1 but can some 1 tell me what plug is what please
Old 31 May 2012, 06:11 AM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

go the easiest and simple way first and check wat code 32 is then change plugs,wat ever code 32 is rectify and do a ecu reset then try again.and the obvious but you have already stated this find out were the wires go.
Old 31 May 2012, 07:26 PM
astraab
Scooby Newbie

ok cheers but what 1 is the lambda plug???