Notices

JDM MY97 STi Missfire/Backfire Unsure!?!

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2012, 08:22 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM MY97 STi Missfire/Backfire Unsure!?!

Got this car about a month ago and thought that there was a bit of boost leak coming from the HKS SSQV.

Managed to find some time today in this lovely weather to take a look. Now, there was an issue with the SSQV, the front has a plastic round thing that looks like it supposed to seal the BOV. This had come adrift from its seating so there was indeed a fair amount of boost leaking from here.

I have reseated this plastic part and no more boost leak is apparent, the BOV sounds much more like it should and there is a noticeable difference in boost.

However, now with the boost running as it should, there seems to be what feels like a missfire,or even backfire as the exhaust makes a few loud bangs. This happens mostly in 3rd gear after 5krpm.

I am also seeing odd idle problems when starting the car. It is very rough for a few seconds but then sorts itself out. This has been happening before I fixed the BOV.

The car is running a Simtek so I cant check for codes. Other mods include a 3" exhaust, and thats about it. I was sold the car as having a de-cat pipe and also a upgraded up-pipe, but after closer inspection it seems that this is not the case!

So, where do I start with troubleshooting the running problem?

Thanks
Old 23 May 2012, 11:31 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Well, after doing some more reading, I think its the plugs, a similar thread on here describes the exhaust as making a fast bap bap bap!!!!! noise, which is what is happening here also.

So, I will be getting new HT leads and a new coilpack and some new plugs gapped to 0.65 I reckon.
Old 23 May 2012, 08:30 PM
ramboscooby
Scooby Regular

have a look here sounds like the same thing

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...limp-mode.html