1993 jdm Wrx Won't boost over 0.5 bar

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2012, 08:58 PM
ZigUk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 jdm Wrx Won't boost over 0.5 bar

Hi all
Just bought my 1st scooby had Soarer tt, legnum vr4, Clio sport etc so not new to performance cars, and pretty handy when in comes to maintenance etc, but this one has got me stunned.
Got this car for a steal and on 1st test drive was popping stuttering etc when accelerating hard, was told by seller this was due to poor petrol, anyway I thought I would take a chance and bought always loved the sound of a scooby and this one has had some proper work done to her before it was imported and by motormaxd! She was in some of there shows!, when I picked her up,I put half a can of octane booster and some proper shell petrol, let her warm up and drove off she pulled like a train in all gears, after a few days I noticed that if I drive her cold then put foot down there would be huge bangs , stutters etc some of them nearly snap ya neck because you might accelerate hard and as you get around 4000 revs it would splutter and feel like you hit a tree, at 1st I though maybe its over boosting when cold, so I fitted boost gauge and tried her, all I could get from her was 0.5 bar max, I checked for leaks, pipes the wrong way etc, couldn't fathom it, anyway to cut long story it turns out that the bad behaviour when cold was down to coolant temp sensor, I replaced this and this cured the mis-firing etc.
I decide to put mbc in to see if I could raise the boost, I bought the ball and spring type as they have decent reviews, started full anti clockwise, went for run , turned clockwise watched the gauge, and did this until it was screwed in probably half way in, it did absolutely nothing!, so I took it back off,
I also noticed during all this that I could disconnect the 2 pin connection from the top of the boost controller solenoid and nothing seemed to change.
Head is now cabbaged.
This car accelerates like non I have ever had, very fast and aggressive yet it looks like it is only boosting at 0.5bar?
How does it do this at 0.5bar and why can't I turn the boost up.
Spec is
1993 jam wrx, ej20 closed deck
Decat, 3" pipe all the way to a massive fujisubo box 4" exit
Lightened balanced fly wheel 5lb I believe
Fully adjustable coil overs all round
Vented disks all round
17 inch alloys
Performance air filter
Blitz dump valve
Turbo looks like td05 16g possibly referencing some numbers,
Ecu is W6 so std boost would be about 11.47 ps
Apparently motormaxd also tried to find out why the car performs as it does but couldn't read ecu, but stated that there was some strangeness in the wiring at the ecu.
I took feed to boost gauge from end of blitz dump valve inserted in pipe that goes to middle nipple on inlet manifold,

Sorry for the long post hopefully someone might have a clue to how she has been tuned.
Ps. I haven't took het to rolling road yet as I 'm trying to fix as much as possible before hand
Thanks
Zig
Old 16 May 2012, 09:03 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Search on here for boost problems and boost solenoid problems. It sounds like you are only boosting actuator pressure.
Old 16 May 2012, 09:20 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

go into diagnotsitc and see if any codes flash up. http://www.jollygreenmonster.com/error_codes.asp.htm
Old 16 May 2012, 09:23 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

When you disconnected the BS did it throw a CEL?...Sounds like its only making actuator pressure.
Old 16 May 2012, 09:31 PM
ZigUk
Scooby Newbie

I put into diag mode but no light on dash tbh I don't think the light works, the solenoid, does tick, fan on then off etc, noticed when I put mbc on the solenoid was ticking like mad, it's a 3 port type
Old 16 May 2012, 09:35 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

So you have a manual boost controller and the BS is not plumbed in?
Old 16 May 2012, 10:19 PM
ZigUk
Scooby Newbie

No I tried a mbc to see if I could get boost up but this didn't have any affect so I plugged solenoid back in, I just check pipes the bottom one from solenoid is going to 1 of the 3 vacuum nipples on top of inlet manifold , I have just disconnected this and blocked the nipple, because I have just read that usually this goes to resonator, tested still no difference
Old 16 May 2012, 10:28 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

The bottom outlet on the BS should either go back into the turbo intake or vent to atmosphere.....The top outlet goes to the turbo and the middle one to the actuator.
Old 16 May 2012, 10:35 PM
ZigUk
Scooby Newbie

I do have bottom one going to atmosphere I will check other 2 in the morning
Thanks