Notices

Green Test mode connector - now cel wont go out

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2012, 06:52 PM
coogi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Green Test mode connector - now cel wont go out

I was having some issues with the immobilizer and was checking around the back of the key pad area where all the wiring lives. 'oh look, thats not connected!' I plug the two green ends together and turn the car on. I see the Check Engine Light flashes at a constant smooth rate and could hear the fans going a bit weird. Disconnected and turned off car.

Having read what it's for on a few forums, I guess I should have left well alone. Doh!

Now I cant get the CEL light to go out. The car runs fine so I wanted to ask:

1. If I disconnected the green plugs too early whilst it was checking all its various sensors, would that throw an error?
  2. If I run it again and there are no faults, will the light go out in theory?
  3. I'm guessing that there is no way of clearing the code without a ODB reader? If so, will my local garage probably be able to do it or is it an annoying trip to Subaru at the cost of a limb?

Any help would be great, just so I know what I should do next. It's booked in with Subaru but due to work commitments it'll be 3 weeks time, so if I can just get it cleared myself or locally it would save me so much grief as the dealer is miles from me.
Old 03 May 2012, 07:07 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coogi
I was having some issues with the immobilizer and was checking around the back of the key pad area where all the wiring lives. 'oh look, thats not connected!' I plug the two green ends together and turn the car on. I see the Check Engine Light flashes at a constant smooth rate and could hear the fans going a bit weird. Disconnected and turned off car.

Having read what it's for on a few forums, I guess I should have left well alone. Doh!

Now I cant get the CEL light to go out. The car runs fine so I wanted to ask:

1. If I disconnected the green plugs too early whilst it was checking all its various sensors, would that throw an error?
  2. If I run it again and there are no faults, will the light go out in theory?
  3. I'm guessing that there is no way of clearing the code without a ODB reader? If so, will my local garage probably be able to do it or is it an annoying trip to Subaru at the cost of a limb?

Any help would be great, just so I know what I should do next. It's booked in with Subaru but due to work commitments it'll be 3 weeks time, so if I can just get it cleared myself or locally it would save me so much grief as the dealer is miles from me.

should be easy to sort out disconnect green and black connectors and disconnect battery for 20-30 mins (ecu reset) cel should go out
Old 03 May 2012, 07:16 PM
coogi
Scooby Newbie

Ah, sorry! I forgot to mention that this is an 02 bug eye... I think (I may be wrong) that that technique only works on classics. I don't think the new age ones have the black plug.
I think it also stores the codes on EPROM meaning a disconnect wont clear it. Hopefully someone will tell me otherwise!

The other alternative is to buy a cheap OBDii port reader and see if I can reset it myself using:
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...UCodesViaOBDII

If this is my only option, could anyone recommend a good OBD reader that'll allow me to reset it.