Notices

Advice on fueling / remap - STi Type R

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2012, 11:05 AM
Kozzy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on fueling / remap - STi Type R

I have a 98 Version 4 STi Type R and a small contingient of money to spend initially to get things started. Car had a major fluid service just before I bought it (engine, gearbox, diffs) but cambelt was done around 3 years ago so for peice of mind will want to get this done. How much on average will this cost for a 'full' cambelt change?

The car was put on the rolling road 2 weeks ago and made 289.3 bhp with a decat pipe and aftermarket exhaust (which is currently blowing in the centre section). The dyno operator stated the car was starting to run slightly lean on full boost so the ECU was cutting back on boost, peaking at 1.2 then running between 1 and 1.1 after about 4000 rpm I think (I do have a graph if anyone cares to see).

I was told an uprated fuel pump, probably a Walbro 255, a fuel pressure regulator and uprated boost control solenoid/valve? will sort the leaning out.

I have planned on getting an aftermarket ECU solution in a month's time, will it be safe to get these done without before the remap or should it definitely be done at the same time?

I have been recommended SimTek (and another variation of SimTek) by a couple of places but have read up on the cheaper ESL option. Is this any good? The medium plans for the car wil probably only see it to around 330-350 realistically.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan.
Old 01 May 2012, 11:24 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Get a pic up mate of your car..
Mine is simtek all sorted by andrew carr. I guess at the end of the day simtek will have a good re-sale value when and if you decided to sell and return it to standard spec. Unsure what motherboard will be worth, not lots at a guess.

As far as the mods and ecu go, "safest" to get all done at the same time. Do speak to who will map the car and take all his advice "before wasting money on bits you might not need"

Last edited by craigo; 01 May 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01 May 2012, 11:26 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

My car runs 480 odd bhp on ESL. If you go the Simtek route you will lose knock control, OEM idle quality, diagnostic fault codes, etc and spend more. There have been some extremely good results on stock V3/4 Stis with ESL.
Old 01 May 2012, 11:27 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigo
Get a pic up mate of your car..
Mine is simtek all sorted by andrew carr. I guess at the end of the day simtek will have a good re-sale value when and if you decided to sell and return it to standard spec. Unsure what motherboard will be worth, not lots at a guess.

As far as the mods and ecu go, "safest" to get all done at the same time. Do speak to who will map the car and take all his advice.
How much did you pay for your simtek and how much do you think it would be worth now in a secondhand sale?
Old 01 May 2012, 11:39 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
How much did you pay for your simtek and how much do you think it would be worth now in a secondhand sale?
No idea mate what it would be worth. Ive never came across a second hand one for sale. What is a used motherboard worth ?
Old 01 May 2012, 11:44 AM
Kozzy
Scooby Newbie

Pics to come shortly (just reformatting them).

It would be interesting to see a mapper's point of view on this as I have read only good things about both SimTek and ESL. I haven't even considered the resale value to be honest, I have planned on keeping the car as an everyday car until I move to a bigger home where it will be my number 2 car/toy.

Any known negatives of the ESL?
Old 01 May 2012, 12:37 PM
Kozzy
Scooby Newbie

Some pics:

Trending Topics

Old 01 May 2012, 01:21 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

In the fastest colour also
Old 01 May 2012, 01:33 PM
Kozzy
Scooby Newbie

lol yeah that is a fact! (yours is a really nice car BTW mate ) I love the look of the 2 door, shame mine is a version 4 though as I hate the front end. So much so I bought a facelift front bumper (in white too!) with the intention of doing a front end 'swap'.

I've read conflicting things concerning the facelift though. Some say you need to swap everything others say you can fit the facelift bumper onto the version 4 front end without changing anything, is this true? I do intend on getting the fresher looking lights, grill and bonnet later this year. My bonnet is Aluminium are version 5+ Aluminium bonnets hard to come by?
Old 01 May 2012, 08:40 PM
Blayde-2002
Scooby Regular

Great type r. I'm picking my version 5 up tomorrow it's been a long few weeks whilst getting it registered etc . They look so fresh in white.
Old 01 May 2012, 09:53 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Is that on the dyno at Motorworx?
Old 02 May 2012, 08:39 AM
Kozzy
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Blade, she is a lovely car that is about to get pampered for the next couple of years. I will create a blog site too and keep note of all costs, work and such. I do love the version 5 and 2 doors in white look properly nice. Someone should start a white 2 door owner's club :P

The dyno was at Thwaites Developments (TDRacing) in Warwick.
Old 02 May 2012, 11:30 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

No idea mate what it would be worth. Ive never came across a second hand one for sale. What is a used motherboard worth ?
The prices of the Simtek range were adversely affected when the supply chain was removed and an improved successor announced, casting into doubt if the fabled knock/idle upgrades would ever be released.

So I would say that your theory on resale value is about 180 degrees out.
Old 02 May 2012, 11:40 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

The prices of the Simtek range were adversely affected when the supply chain was removed and an improved successor announced, casting into doubt if the fabled knock/idle upgrades would ever be released.

So I would say that your theory on resale value is about 180 degrees out.
Unless you can say/prove what a motherboard is worth, your argument against against holds zero.....
Old 02 May 2012, 11:41 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kozzy
Pics to come shortly (just reformatting them).

It would be interesting to see a mapper's point of view on this as I have read only good things about both SimTek and ESL. I haven't even considered the resale value to be honest, I have planned on keeping the car as an everyday car until I move to a bigger home where it will be my number 2 car/toy.

Any known negatives of the ESL?
Not heard of any unsatisfied customers with the new system, there's loads out there now in a short space of time. Also fits Legacies and Forresters.

Search is your friend (small selection):

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...yesterday.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...otorsport.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...on-v4-esl.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...97-98-car.html

http://www.type-ra.co.uk/vB/showthre...6550#post76550
Old 02 May 2012, 12:33 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Unless you can say/prove what a motherboard is worth, your argument against against holds zero.....
Oh the irony!

It was your assertion in the first place, so the burden of proof is with you.

You immediately nullified your own assertion by admitting you had no idea what your own ECU was worth.
Old 02 May 2012, 12:40 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Oh the irony!

It was your assertion in the first place, so the burden of proof is with you.

You immediately nullified your own assertion by admitting you had no idea what your own ECU was worth.
What is the whole point of debate my good fellow ?
Fact, simtek will have a value, motherboard will have a value. where are you trying to go here....
I have started a thread, please post there. sorry to the op ...
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ed-ecu-be.html

Last edited by craigo; 02 May 2012 at 12:43 PM.