Notices

headgasket and 2.5ltr questions..

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2012, 06:06 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headgasket and 2.5ltr questions..

i have a MY07 hawkeye STI done around 33k miles. around 340/375

i do drive it hard but not all the time.

ive read all about the dreaded HK failure and ringlands and its not good!!

(im tempting fate alot here)

mines ok at the moment (not sure i should have said that)

is it 100% likely to let go??

is it something worth doing the HK now/soon??

whats the average price to have it replaced. just the HK parts and labour??

what else could/should be done around the same time? parts and labour?

i think i know the answers, i just want it in black and white

thanks

mm
Old 26 April 2012, 06:13 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just dont over rev the 2.5
Old 26 April 2012, 06:38 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Yes as above , i would set your limiter at 6000 tops on standard internals , use V power , & warm it up gentle
It's not a case of how or when
Subaru are supposed to have claimed it was 2% of EU cars that will let go , either head , or ringland / the public percentage is more like 9% & stateside cars as much as 15%
but it's anyones guess on the real figure .
The build will vary ,
Don't worry yourself on something that hasn't happened
Old 26 April 2012, 06:51 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Im in the same position with my 06 STi

Im just going to make sure mine runs det free, has safe boost limits and gets treated with respect. Not much more you can do than that really. If the HG's do go then I will build myself a forged bottom end, but until then I plan to enjoy the car.
Old 26 April 2012, 07:00 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

thanks.

it only uses V-power. and tbf i dont rev it past or close to 6k.

maybe i was looking for an excuse to mod it!!

i honestly (after reading threads on SN) thought it was more % than that.

i will keep an eye on it.

thanks again
Old 26 April 2012, 07:04 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
Im in the same position with my 06 STi

Im just going to make sure mine runs det free, has safe boost limits and gets treated with respect. Not much more you can do than that really. If the HG's do go then I will build myself a forged bottom end, but until then I plan to enjoy the car.

det free?? i keep seeing this.. detonation i assume?? meaning running lean??

just to add ive had a sports cat back system upgraded fuel pump and mapped. incase anyone is wondering
Old 26 April 2012, 07:16 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

I just want to add before this thread turns from head gasket to ringland failure
In my opinion ( you may disagree )
With the 2.5 this all stems from a regulation issue , tolerances have become way to tight , the reason been ( emissions ) I'm sure subaru would love to gap these to a safe value , but they simply can't . /
Old 26 April 2012, 07:33 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickeymouse
det free?? i keep seeing this.. detonation i assume?? meaning running lean??

just to add ive had a sports cat back system upgraded fuel pump and mapped. incase anyone is wondering

Yeah det is detonation, not always from running lean though, its more likely to be from running lower octane fuel than the engine needs and/or too aggressive ignition advance.

If you have had it mapped then it should be OK, all depends on the skills of the mapper.
Old 26 April 2012, 07:39 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze
I just want to add before this thread turns from head gasket to ringland failure
In my opinion ( you may disagree )
With the 2.5 this all stems from a regulation issue , tolerances have become way to tight , the reason been ( emissions ) I'm sure subaru would love to gap these to a safe value , but they simply can't . /
ive had mine coming up 2 years, ive done alot of my own servicing parts renewal etc but i wont touch this one

you guys are far to technical for me so tend to go with the majority.
im still learning all the same...

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
Yeah det is detonation, not always from running lean though, its more likely to be from running lower octane fuel than the engine needs and/or too aggressive ignition advance.

If you have had it mapped then it should be OK, all depends on the skills of the mapper.

its ok i have every faith in the mapper.

as above, its all new to me and still learning
Old 26 April 2012, 08:07 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

07 2.5 are not so prone to hg issues due to revised gaskets (not unheard of though). As for pistons you should be ok at your power levels as long as you don't suffer detonation. If you can afford it forged pistons and HD cylinder studs are the way forward.
Old 26 April 2012, 08:23 PM
toyney83
Scooby Regular

i've been running mine at 380 on standard internals for coming up to 4 years now. Has got arp head studs and uprated gaskets though and never missed a beat.
Old 26 April 2012, 10:44 PM
Dan_STI
Scooby Regular

This has crossed my mind too, and my car runs beautifully.

My theory is that if it does break i will fix it (forged/bigger studs), and i plan to enjoy it and not let the worry ruin the enjoyment.

We are talking about a small number of a lot of cars produced, often which may be thrashed in a whole manor of situations, and if looked after chances are it will be fine....which can be said for any car really.

Things worth noting are, set the rev warning to 6k (it revs out quick anyway so this gives you good warning to change at safe revs, and the 2.5 doesnt have much after then anyway)

and secondly, my mapper (renowned) mentioned that before it was mapped and running PPP software, it was running much leaner than he would have liked to see. This was suspected to be due to a viper induction kit fitted to the car (also had full tsl system). So thats another thing to look out for if it has got mods, even a simple IK, you should get the map checked to avoid potential DET which could contribute to HG/ring land failures.
Old 28 April 2012, 09:24 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

ok guys, maybe im just being ott. the map and supporting mods are about 1 year in, and i have no concerns over either.

was just thinking that EVERYONE seems to have problems with these engines so was thinking out loud..

thanks
Old 28 April 2012, 09:33 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

thats the thing on here sometimes, people go on and on about the hg and ringland issues on the 2.5's, this then makes everyone think everyone with a 2.5 has hd the problem, they havent though and the numbers are far lower than what you would believe, just enjoy the car and deal with it if it happens. I set my limit to 5500 and this is way fast enough, i have a full tsl exhaust and map so ive got around 340-350hp.
Old 28 April 2012, 09:41 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
thats the thing on here sometimes, people go on and on about the hg and ringland issues on the 2.5's, this then makes everyone think everyone with a 2.5 has hd the problem, they havent though and the numbers are far lower than what you would believe, just enjoy the car and deal with it if it happens. I set my limit to 5500 and this is way fast enough, i have a full tsl exhaust and map so ive got around 340-350hp.
yeah thats how it seemed, they was blowing all over the place!!

i do enjoy it, in fact i probably love it a little to much

i know you only hear about the bad ones and not the good ones..

mine to is around the 340/375 mark so will make sure i keep the revs down.

thanks all
Old 28 April 2012, 09:43 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

bad news spreads on the net faster than good news, i was always panicking about my engine giving up (06 STi). It ran 370 fine ( not saying every engine will ).
Enjoy the car its alot stronger than it gets credit for unless youre on the rev limit all the time.
Ive since had mine forged and cosworth gaskets so i can forget about this and pursue more power which is what will happen to you eventually
Old 28 April 2012, 10:16 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a trouble free 90K out of my mapped PPP STI MY06, including loads of track days.
HG went first, closely followed by ringland failure
Old 28 April 2012, 10:44 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pramas
bad news spreads on the net faster than good news, i was always panicking about my engine giving up (06 STi). It ran 370 fine ( not saying every engine will ).
Enjoy the car its alot stronger than it gets credit for unless youre on the rev limit all the time.
Ive since had mine forged and cosworth gaskets so i can forget about this and pursue more power which is what will happen to you eventually

Thanks, would you care to say how much you paid for the forged parts and labour??

Or PM. I may go down this route in the future..

Originally Posted by cster
Got a trouble free 90K out of my mapped PPP STI MY06, including loads of track days.
HG went first, closely followed by ringland failure

Now stop it
Old 29 April 2012, 01:12 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

drew built the short motor cost around 2k but by the time u get it fitted with proper gaskets and arp head studs u talking another 1k

spec was : 2.5 Short motor with Pinned,Decked and rebored Casings with 2.5 nitrat Crank, Manley Rods, Cp pistons, Rcm 10mm modified Pump

hes a top guy up north way
Old 29 April 2012, 03:39 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mickeymouse

Now stop it
You still have another 60K trouble free.
I got a forged rebuild with studs for about 3K from API - so far, so good.

Last edited by cster; 29 April 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01 May 2012, 01:42 AM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pramas
drew built the short motor cost around 2k but by the time u get it fitted with proper gaskets and arp head studs u talking another 1k

spec was : 2.5 Short motor with Pinned,Decked and rebored Casings with 2.5 nitrat Crank, Manley Rods, Cp pistons, Rcm 10mm modified Pump

hes a top guy up north way
Originally Posted by cster
You still have another 60K trouble free.
I got a forged rebuild with studs for about 3K from API - so far, so good.

cheers guys
Old 01 May 2012, 12:00 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They seem to suffer when used hard and / or remapped above 1.35 bar. the pistons just won't take it. The head gaskets blow at any time, for no apparent reason than ' they just do ' and new, later model 08 hatch gaskets and ARP studs fixes that stone dead.. The busted ring lands seems to affect cylinders 2 & 4 more than 1 & 3 and 4 is usually the worst. Sometimes to the point of large vertical scoring of the cylinder which is VERY bad.

They also crack across the wastegate face of the turbo on the VF43 which renders it scrap. Interestingly we have seen many cracked turbo's as have our local dealer and in many cases, the customer / owner is not aware and has not reported any loss of performance. But a crack once seen cannot be fogotten.............

At that point there is a dilemma, because there is no point fitting a turbo [ best part of £1800 + VAT for a new standard one ] that will crack again, so an upgraded turbo which is cheaper, will give better performance and is more reliable is the order of the day. One of the smaller billet types is a sensible recommendation. BUT of course that involves a remap.

But: head studs, forged pistons ACL bearings. proper head gaskets a good turbo and a remap will bring up to a solid, reliable 450 hp, on a 6 speed car. Not everyone wants that of course, but many get tempted.............

Call me to talk it through if you like guys, we have done several this year. Including Cster who is delighted with the result.

David APi 01926 614333
Old 03 May 2012, 12:16 AM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

thank you very helpful!
Old 03 May 2012, 01:14 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I would say normally, that it's impossible to polish a turd - a few like APi seem to have found the right solutions though!

The 2.5 is the biggest turd to come out of FHI!