Notices

Fuel leaks - common on classics?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2012, 08:01 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel leaks - common on classics?

Noticed today (and had a strong whiff for a while) that my 99 uk wagon seems to be weeping fuel from somewhere. I've not had the opportunity to jack her up so just asking on here to put my mind at rest. It's got damp patches on the bottom of the tank nearish the drivers side rear wheel. I think it's leaked into the road when parked up but gonna double check in the morning for fresh drippage. Also gonna check round the fuel pump at the top as this was changed not long back for a walbro and hoping the pipes not been cut. Assume it has metal fuel rails which may be prone to rot?

Thanks in advance and will get under her early tomorrow.

Andy
Old 05 April 2012, 09:42 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar issue with my uk 2000 a while back. It ended up being the seal on top of the fuel pump cover.

I also noticed the dampness on my fuel tank but that was always there. Fuel wouldnt stay damp for that long.
Old 05 April 2012, 10:24 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kas Spec C
I had a similar issue with my uk 2000 a while back. It ended up being the seal on top of the fuel pump cover.

I also noticed the dampness on my fuel tank but that was always there. Fuel wouldnt stay damp for that long.
Hi Kas, yeah I noticed the stain on the road where I parked and checked it against the dampness on the tank. I'll check the seal but I remember you can't do up the 8 bolts too tight otherwise they'll snap. Would this seal let it weep round the underside as you can't see much from the top (well when fitting the walbro anyway).

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 05 April 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05 April 2012, 11:23 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Fuel would dry up quick and doubt it would leave a stain. I noticed the smell after i upgraded the fuel pump & found the seal to be the culprit. New seal with silicone should do the trick.

Fuel rail on the bugeyes are pretty common but not on classics. Obviously all depending on mileage. However if it's the rail then you will notice the smell straight away whilst the bonnet is open. Mainly from a cold start.

Just brake cleaner the fuel tank and keep a eye on it. If it gets damp again then its more likely to be a leak instead of the smell.

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 05 April 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05 April 2012, 11:47 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

just a thought -- have u filled it to the 'brim' following the fuel shortages ????

I had a strong smell of fuel when i filled mine to the 'brim' - with 1/2 a tank = no smell!
Old 05 April 2012, 11:55 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Aye, brim it every week. But the smell seems to be there every time I get out the car. More pops and bangs recently too since the remap. The poor fuel economy and now visual dampness got my attention you see.
Old 06 April 2012, 12:29 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

it could be your fuel filler neck has started weaping, i have just had to replace mine it constantly smelt of fuel but only leaked just after filling up, they usually go on the bottom bend where dirt is trapped by the plastic gaurd.
Old 06 April 2012, 01:03 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my94wrx
it could be your fuel filler neck has started weaping, i have just had to replace mine it constantly smelt of fuel but only leaked just after filling up, they usually go on the bottom bend where dirt is trapped by the plastic gaurd.

I googled classic fuel leaks and this came up. Dirts trapped round the plastic, gets soaked in weeping fuel from insuing rot and the vicious circle continues?

Least I've got a couple ideas now, replacement filler neck is a PITA job though
Old 06 April 2012, 08:32 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Least I've got a couple ideas now, replacement filler neck is a PITA job though
Finding a decent second hand one is a PITA also, Andy.

I'm fairly sure that they are quite pricey new.
Old 06 April 2012, 09:24 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I'd forgotten about this thread. I jacked the Scoob up this morning and had a good feel about (ooh err).

Lots of dry mud and a couple of damp fuel stains but nothing drips wise. It does look corroded though so I'm gonna look for patches on the road over the weekend.

I called Sheffield Subaru Service and although they were shut for Easter the chap said if it is leaking to take it through on Tuesday after work. Also said to check the seal on the fuel pump lid, which I did, and in which off one of the rubber pipes I managed to get Tescos finest splashed in my eyes and up my nose Ouch!!!

But the seal was checked just incase and above, keeping an eye on it.

Fuel filler necks are £160 at ICP, more at dealers! S/h may be less, I fücking hope so