Few wire tuck questions..

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2012, 02:04 PM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few wire tuck questions..

Hey guys,

first time getting 'in and about' my engine bay today. And realised the Scooby bay looks good for a bit of a 'tuck and hide. Nothing extreme, but I notice the battery could be moved to the boot, the window washer pump/bottle replaced with a smaller one and moved inside, the fuse box should easily fit under the dash. And on the other side of the engine the intake piping and boost piping could be tidied up a bit.. would make working on it a little easier.

I have a question about the cooling system though - is there a reason subaru opted for a capless radiator and run a header tank above the rad? Could you run with a normal rad w/rad cap to reduce coolant piping etc. It's a bit of a pain that you can't see the level of water in the header tank.

Air con is already removed - don't really fancy running an FMIC setup as the pipework is hell of a messy without running a twisted turbo and reversed inlet - which seems to cost a ruddy fortune for no performance benefit unless running a big-boy - so might just clean and paint my STI 'cooler.

Any advice or writeup's would be braw
Old 04 April 2012, 02:35 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you check the "Lets see your One off modification" thread (too lazy to link), You'll see someone has done some tucking, and put the fusebox in the inner wing, with a cover plate. Looks great.
Old 04 April 2012, 02:36 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That thread included burying the washer bottle in the arch so all you saw was the lid from inside the car
Old 04 April 2012, 02:48 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

did i read a while ago you had a problem with a type r you bought. what was the outcome ?
Old 04 April 2012, 03:25 PM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

^ was running WRX engine, but main problem was boost, intercooler hose wasnt tightened up, 2 port boost sol was sticking at 2-3psi and boost hosing wasn't done right. Replaced for 3-port and rerouted hosing correctly and it's now boosting stock 13psi. Still running wrong ECU, going to get AF to chuck in a chipped 6S and tune it for me. There was a missfire in 5th recently but *hopefully* thats been sorted with the new plugs/leads I've fitted. Heater matrix was also narfed but that's been taken out of the coolant loop (regretful on some cold days/nights though )
Old 04 April 2012, 03:43 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Some years of Impreza do have rad cap
Old 04 April 2012, 03:58 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s13silvia
^ was running WRX engine, but main problem was boost, intercooler hose wasnt tightened up, 2 port boost sol was sticking at 2-3psi and boost hosing wasn't done right. Replaced for 3-port and rerouted hosing correctly and it's now boosting stock 13psi. Still running wrong ECU, going to get AF to chuck in a chipped 6S and tune it for me. There was a missfire in 5th recently but *hopefully* thats been sorted with the new plugs/leads I've fitted. Heater matrix was also narfed but that's been taken out of the coolant loop (regretful on some cold days/nights though )
and the garage you bought it from, what happened there ?
Old 04 April 2012, 04:08 PM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

Got £800 return from them. Which covered what I needed to sort short of tuning with AF but that's more my choice than a necessity.

As for the coolant query, can I revert to a Radiator with Cap and remove the headertank setup etc. ? That wiretucked impreza is very very nice, and I'd be happy with that engine bay - just a pity it too is running a twisted turbo setup (which I'd love but couldn't justify). The air intake tract is just too damn ugly lol
Old 04 April 2012, 05:13 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

I would think the header tank is where it is as its the highest place to fill from for air lock reasons. Also what are you going to do with the 4 coolant pipes attatched to it? Some models do have a rad cap, these models still use a header tank, there must br a dam good reason its there
Old 04 April 2012, 07:10 PM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

I figured its the highest place - but from what I can see the radiator top is higher than the block/heads? Anyhoo it's not a major concern - just an idea. They still look alright, I just need to take it off and give it a clean/paint.
Old 04 April 2012, 07:23 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s13silvia
I figured its the highest place - but from what I can see the radiator top is higher than the block/heads? Anyhoo it's not a major concern - just an idea. They still look alright, I just need to take it off and give it a clean/paint.
yup agree. but possibly not higher than the coolant feed to the turbo which is is where id guess the coolant is most likely to boil after a hot switch off