My05 JDM STi Help and advice on Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2012, 01:06 PM
dibbleyuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My05 JDM STi Help and advice on Mods

Hi Guys,

I have been reading and reading the forum for months, spent hours on google and now want the help from experts and pros on here.

I brought my JDM STi last July and wow what a car I love it wanted one since the day they came out and after selling my supra TT that I had to start my own business and struggling for over 2 years finally the hard work had paid off and for the first time I could buy a car without a Loan or finance and I could buy the car I always wanted.

Since buying it I have fitted Vlimited from splitter and the standard exhaust was fairly rotten so I managed to find a Toyosport cat back system on ebay for £90 not the greatest system but it done the job for now, It turned out it was off a classic or UK spec and was 4" too short but my stepdad owns his own garage and made a spacer up and we managed to get it fitted.

Anyway I am now after you advice as I am soon to be nearly £1000 a month better off and its time to start modding properly

So I will start with the questions:

The plan is to get her mapped with basic mods so...

Ideally I would like to fit a Nur Spec R happy to buy new but do they do one for the Twinscroll JDM I have seen they list a longer one for JDM models but this is listed 01-04? Any traders able to advise on this?

Would also like to fit a sports cat so technically replace the whole system maybe someone can recommend a better full system for mine or able to offer advice on what to match up to a Nur Spec R.

Which air filter would people recommend I was going to go for a K&N panel filter?

Who to map and what else is worth doing before mapping?
Different Plugs?
I read about Perrin 3port Is this necessary on mine?
Anything else...?
I want to achive the most I can out of it without Rebuild or changing the Turbo but anything else that will make a difference happy to do..

I was going to speak to jollygreenmonster as he is fairly local and read good things so his advice would be great.

Also due a service and cambelt soon,
What engine oil do you recommend for fast road / Track use?
What cambelt kit to buy?

Brakes.
I am happy with them for general road use but when I brought the car it had cheap mintex pads just fitted and as soon as they are hot they are dangerous!!
So what brake pads are recommend for fast road/track use with the brembos I want something that I can trust and isnt going to fade to0 much and might be worth me changing the fluid so i am guessing a good DOT5.1?
Also is it worth fitting braided lines?

Suspension wise..

I have ordered a set of tein s techs for it from Ryan@indigoGT they should be here next week hopefully, alot of people said I should go for coilovers but for now I wanted to drop it without the hard ride from coilovers.

What else can I fit to improve the handling? Whiteline ARB's, anti lift kit etc?? Any advice on this topic?

Sorry for the long post but I just cant find the answers and I know the forum is full of people with far more knowledge.

One last things is my car the same engine,turbo,running gear etc as a Spec C? If so would it be easier to look for Spec C parts as I can never find anything listed for 05JDM STi.

Thanks I hope people will take the time to read this and reply.

Duane

Last edited by dibbleyuk; 03 April 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03 April 2012, 01:20 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

RCM do a stunning zorst rated up to 700hp & designed by Bob Rawle afaik which I put on my old Spec C ... cost c£1200 new though + install. Might find one 2nd hand ...

TX.

PS My car was running c375hp on same turbo - mods were zorst, fuel pump, induction kit, some wizardry with the actuator, 3 port + B Rawle remap.

Last edited by Terminator X; 03 April 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03 April 2012, 01:22 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

PM sent
Old 03 April 2012, 01:45 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Nur spec is still just cat back,you hardly buy full turbo back(turbo back means this system including the Downpipe) and if you want fitting on yours Nur Spec you will need just yours decatted Twin scroll downpipe(or you can buy from Hayward and scott),about the exhaust,we are running HKS Ti Limited and have amazing sound,but i've heard Nur Spec R on Twin scroll and on full chat has been like superbike,great sound,but loud

K&N air filter will be OK for you or you can go with Green Cotton panel filter

Plugs i would go with PFR7b which are mostly used,Perrin 3port not sure,for less you can buy proper Prodrive or you can use Classic 3port,which are known as best

About the turbo,you are running VF37 and Spec C running VF36 and you should be making around 350bhp with good mapper.

For brakes i would go everytime with PF(Performance Friction) pads and if its possible too with PF discs(expensive but worth matey eevry penny),yes is worth buying the braided lines(Hel or Goodridge are mostly used)

Suspension wise,i would stick with what you have,if you want little bit drop,i would suggest Tein or Eibach springs(I've run before Pi springs and they has been amazing)

Whiteline front 22mm,rear 24mm should be OK on yours(personally we are running Eibach after few months are still like new,which i can't say about the Whiteline),Whiteline ALK(Antilift kit) not sure if its worth,but you are planning some track days etc.?

No your car using different turbo(as i said before you are running TS VF37 and Spec c running VF36),engine wise is same i think

Jura
Old 04 April 2012, 11:35 AM
dibbleyuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B4D HK
PM sent
Thanks for your message as soon as I get the ball rolling I will give you a call if you dont mind and hopefully you can point me in the right direction