Notices

Stage 1 - how safe before remap?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2012, 02:28 PM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 - how safe before remap?

Hi guys,
I've bought all the bits I'll need to create my very own PPP: Scorpion Prodrive Backbox, Link Pipe, Samco Intercooler hoses and Pro R Pipercross air filter. I will be getting it all fitted in a few months when I can afford the remap...how safe is it to drive with the supporting mods on BEFORE a remap.
Planning on calling up Duncan at Racedynamix to map it for me so would like to have the mods put on and remapped as soon as possible...
Cheers,
Andy
Old 22 March 2012, 02:38 PM
LewisL
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

I currently am running without a remap I have not driven car I anger I am going to get the afr's check next week and a remap at same time as I am curious to see if it is safe to drive with mods and no rwmap.

However the big problem is by fitting all these bits and no remap you make the car slow lol while i've stayed away from top end of revs and speedo I have had lil blips and its Shocking how guttless the car feels and laggy lol I would fit the bits just before you got for a map if you like giving it death everwhere lol can't wait to have power back
Old 22 March 2012, 02:39 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Without decatting it I would say you would be ok but to be safe keep an eye on boost levels.....Someone a lot more knowledgable will be along in a bit (or before ) to correct me probably!

Last edited by Bristol98; 22 March 2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: slooooooooooooow typing.
Old 22 March 2012, 03:16 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

ive got a 97 uk turbo and had it 3 years now, it came with an sti v3 intercooler and cat back s/s 2.5" exhaust and i added a blitz sus induction kit and blitz bov. i know the car has a standard ecu setup because ive checked the ecu and i know 97/98's cant be remapped and require a daughter board for mapping but it seems to runs fine with no problems but now im wondering should it be mapped now its has these few small mods done...
Old 22 March 2012, 08:38 PM
MarkC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy.downes
Hi guys,
I've bought all the bits I'll need to create my very own PPP: Scorpion Prodrive Backbox, Link Pipe, Samco Intercooler hoses and Pro R Pipercross air filter. I will be getting it all fitted in a few months when I can afford the remap...how safe is it to drive with the supporting mods on BEFORE a remap.
Planning on calling up Duncan at Racedynamix to map it for me so would like to have the mods put on and remapped as soon as possible...
Cheers,
Andy
It will be fine as long as you stay off boost, if you have a boost gauge keep an eye on it during journey to make sure it does not start to build boost

Last edited by MarkC; 22 March 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 22 March 2012, 08:46 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

With decat etc best bet is to drive to map straight after mods, anything else you risk detonating the engine!

TX.
Old 22 March 2012, 08:59 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

its fine IMO, the link pipe only removes the centre cat....you still have the up pipe and downpipe cats in place which are the ones which can cause overboost issues without a map. Changing that centre cat doesnt actually really change a great deal in terms of performance tbh, but changing the up pipe and down pipe for decat/sports cat then id stay off boost til mapped.

Last edited by djandyg; 22 March 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 22 March 2012, 09:02 PM
MarkC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by goujon
ive got a 97 uk turbo and had it 3 years now, it came with an sti v3 intercooler and cat back s/s 2.5" exhaust and i added a blitz sus induction kit and blitz bov. i know the car has a standard ecu setup because ive checked the ecu and i know 97/98's cant be remapped and require a daughter board for mapping but it seems to runs fine with no problems but now im wondering should it be mapped now its has these few small mods done...
It might need to be mapped, the maf sensor would give different readings from the induction kit and with the blitz bov it will run a bit rich. Get it checked on a dyno they can look at afr etc and see if its okay.
Old 22 March 2012, 09:35 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

the pro-r filter is a panel filter as opposed to open cone IIRC. but yeh, if it was a cone filter induction kit then yes would deffo warrant mapping.
Old 23 March 2012, 09:58 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djandyg
its fine IMO, the link pipe only removes the centre cat....you still have the up pipe and downpipe cats in place which are the ones which can cause overboost issues without a map. Changing that centre cat doesnt actually really change a great deal in terms of performance tbh, but changing the up pipe and down pipe for decat/sports cat then id stay off boost til mapped.
Thanks guys.
The link pipe doesn't replace the centre cat on a 2006 I don't think? Just the chamber pipe.
Ta