Notices

knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2012, 04:22 PM
redace
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking noise

Hi, I have an old GC8 classic with a built 2.35L engine. I was out a few days ago and after a 2nd 3rd and 4th gear pull I had a check engine light flashing on and off. I came out the throttle straight away and heard a knocking noise so I looked over at my PFC commander. It had a peak knock of 92. straight away I **** my pants and thought I had killed my engine off.
I slowed down and put my clutch in and the engine stalled out. I was right at the end of a motorway so I coasted to the lights and was in every ones way so I tried to start it up. She fired straight up and apart from the knocking ran perfect.
I was only 2 minuets from home and had no way to get it back so I drove it. This noise came from nowhere and did not get any worse. I have heard Subarus with big end knock and im 90% certain this is not the problem.

I have left the car for a few days until I spoke to a friend of mine about what to do. I started it up today and she fired straight up and ran perfect but the knocking noise is still there. The noise is a lot lighter than a big end knock and also to fast at idle.
It sounds like taping 2 teaspoons together. The noise is coming from the centre of the engine at the back. I thought it may have been little end knock from number 4 but im not convinced.
The engine stalled out while idling and I just thought it had cut out so I tried to restart it. When I cranked it over it seemed slow but I put it down to the fact the car had been stud for a few days and the batt was not 100%.
It cranked and cranked but did not fire. Now this is where it gets interesting, I always start my car out of gear but with the clutch in but half way though cranking it I let the clutch out and it cranked over much faster. I have moved the car to a friend garage and while he was towing me I put it in gear and let the clutch out and the engine sprang to life but as soon as I put the clutch in and it tried to idle it died.

I wanted to know if any one had had this problem or had any ideas. All I can think is the is a problem with my Hyper twin or the is now that much end float in my crank putting the clutch in is pulling the crank backwards in the block and causing it to drag on something.

I can not pull the box out for a week or 2 but in the mean time its driving me crazy.

Regards

Craig
Old 10 March 2012, 06:03 PM
redace
Scooby Regular

any ideas?
Old 11 March 2012, 12:20 AM
redace
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 12 March 2012, 04:52 PM
redace
Scooby Regular

Old 12 March 2012, 08:59 PM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

I would be looking at the clutch before thinking about anything else tbh.