Notices

ESL

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2012, 09:01 PM
martin.nicoll
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESL

Am I right in thinking that I read somewhere that with an ESL daughterboard you can now run maffless, or was I dreaming that up?
Old 02 March 2012, 09:19 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

MAFless or MAF based, switchable in software (unique), twin maps, full knock control (ignition, fuelling and boost), OEM quality closed loop idle and fueling, full diagnostic control codes, hardware sub £300 ex vat.
Old 02 March 2012, 09:24 PM
martin.nicoll
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
MAFless or MAF based, switchable in software (unique), twin maps, full knock control (ignition, fuelling and boost), OEM quality closed loop idle and fueling, full diagnostic control codes, hardware sub £300 ex vat.
:-) that's all good then!
Old 02 March 2012, 09:45 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

If ever there was a no-brainer, this is it. My ESL powered car just ran 471bhp at a miserly 1.5bar on an ATP GT30 (ran out of dyno time so it is still on the stock wastegate duty), next step 2bar and a push over 500bhp. It still idles like a stock motor on 780cc injectors.
Old 02 March 2012, 09:51 PM
martin.nicoll
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
If ever there was a no-brainer, this is it. My ESL powered car just ran 471bhp at a miserly 1.5bar on an ATP GT30 (ran out of dyno time so it is still on the stock wastegate duty), next step 2bar and a push over 500bhp. It still idles like a stock motor on 780cc injectors.
Well you've given me something to spend all my cash on for the next few years!!

Out of interest, what sort of mpg do you get now? :-s
Old 02 March 2012, 10:25 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

It's not currently road legal so I'm not sure. I used to use it on the road and it was as economical as a stock car off boost, but not on-boost! I had a car with the specification you propose a good few years back and the fuel consumption was better than standard (stock Subaru maps are quite rich).

It was still quicker than most exotica of a similar vintage at 330bhp. Don't get me wrong, nearly 500bhp in a 1200kg car is mental, but 330bhp was more manageable and made for a more 'rounded' driving experience. Going above that puts the gearbox on danger money anyway, its a good level to get to without having to go forged, invest in a six speed, etc.
Old 04 March 2012, 09:30 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by martin.nicoll
Am I right in thinking that I read somewhere that with an ESL daughterboard you can now run maffless, or was I dreaming that up?

Been fitting and mapping the mafless boards for ages - the new esl boards are twin maps too so opens up lots of possibilities for 92-96 cars and also 97-98 cars that were previously unmappable.

Yours worked well Andy - more dyno time will def see over 500 - see you at RCM in a couple of weeks
Old 04 March 2012, 10:09 AM
martin.nicoll
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
Been fitting and mapping the mafless boards for ages - the new esl boards are twin maps too so opens up lots of possibilities for 92-96 cars and also 97-98 cars that were previously unmappable.

Yours worked well Andy - more dyno time will def see over 500 - see you at RCM in a couple of weeks
How does the switching between the two maps work? In theory you could have a 'normal' map and a 'track day' map? Would be interested as this opens up potential to keep using the car daily whilst having a toy for weekends!
Old 04 March 2012, 10:13 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Lol yea a broken speedo wire and loose boost hose and we ran out of time. Never mind-pretty good result on just 1.5bar. Roll on 2 bar!
Old 04 March 2012, 10:14 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

then you just need a squirt of nos to get that spooling
Old 04 March 2012, 10:22 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

How does the switching between the two maps work? In theory you could have a 'normal' map and a 'track day' map? Would be interested as this opens up potential to keep using the car daily whilst having a toy for weekends!
Switch the ignition on with the throttle down and the ECU will switch maps and blink the CEL once or twice to indicate which map you are on. This means no extra wiring, no extra cost, the mapper can get on mapping rather than installign switches.

You can have absolutely whatever you want on the two maps. 95/99RON, 99RON/Meth, economy/trackday, valet mode/fast road, high boost/low boost, towing map/crusing map, quarter mile/autotest, the choice is yours to discuss with your mapper.

Important to note you get two complete calibrations with ESL (its like having two completely independent ECUs at your disposal), not just offsets or a subset of a full map like some other ECUs.
Old 04 March 2012, 10:29 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

then you just need a squirt of nos to get that spooling
100% full throttle max WG duty up to peak torque FTW . Its a laggy old turbo but still used to see about 2 bar at 4000rpm in top on the road. Compared to my S2000 that seems like a powerband of biblical proportion.

Rich compared it to a 321V and said it felt much the same just 500rpm laggier. With the LC and Flat Shift I guess it won't matter much. GT35R?
Old 04 March 2012, 12:39 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

As Andy says - really easy to sort and can have two completely separate maps - could even do one mafless and one maf based if you wanted ... Obviously if the maps are massively different then it will increase the mapping time/costs but most stick with a high boost low boost option which works pretty well for controlling the urge to nail it in daily driver mode lol