Notices

Mods to keep top mount cool while stationary?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2012, 10:47 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods to keep top mount cool while stationary?

I was wondering what's mods people had tried to keep a top mount cool while waiting?

I'm thinking of hill events, so any tips for drag strips etc appreciated!

Cheers

Grant
Old 20 February 2012, 10:56 PM
Bez300
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Grant,
I do sprints and I am still running a top mount.
All I use is one of the pump up water spray containers you get from garden centres.
Just keep your bonnet up and spray as much as you can,
It does work.
I also have water sprays onto the intercooler when I am driving,

Bez
Old 20 February 2012, 11:01 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

ive changed the water spray nozzles and added and timer to fire the nozzles at intervals variable from constant to every 5ish mins.
Old 20 February 2012, 11:03 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

mostly people using dry ice or second option can be used is
DEI CryO2 Intercooler Sprayer Kit or intercooler spray kit,which can lower temps

Or technically you can crate own fan setup for TMIC,which can be more expensive like going for FMIC

Here is something which peoples looking on this TMIC fan setup

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...oler-fans.html

Jura
Old 21 February 2012, 07:28 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

I currently have 2 jets connected to the intercooler, which are connected to my rear wash/wipe. I run a real weak mix of water and screen wash and spray the intercooler regularly when I am stuck in traffic for long periods of time.
Old 21 February 2012, 07:36 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen people run a couple of large computer fans under top mounts before now.
It can be quite effective if done right.
The DEI cryo kit is obviously far more effective, but of course it costs lot more too and I'm not sure you'd be able to run it on a hillclimb car, you'd have to check with a scrutineer.
Old 21 February 2012, 08:25 AM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

I can see the veto kit causing issues, and had water spray in my head, but a hand sprayer is a brilliant idea, as are the fans.

I have water jets to go on, but felt they would be limited while stationary.

Thanks for the replies guys- much appreciated
Old 21 February 2012, 08:26 AM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

That should say dei dry ice kit in first line- autocorrect madness
Old 21 February 2012, 09:06 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Motorcycle radiator fans work a treat
Old 21 February 2012, 02:55 PM
iandc
Scooby Newbie

ice cubes on top of i/c ?
Old 21 February 2012, 05:13 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 5 nozzle waterspray boom which I was using prior to the start at santapod, the problem is water hangs around in the nooks and crannies of the engine bay and I was putting water down on the startline which I was immediatley warned about.
Trev
Old 21 February 2012, 07:13 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

The issue I have with ice cubes, and spray to an extent, is as mentioned, they will get emotional about any fluid coming out of the car and onto the floor.

The car is still in standard production class, so I have to be a little sensible, hence the DEi option being ideal, but perhaps not realistic in this class.

Motorbike fans sound like an ingenious idea!

On my MR2 I used to use plumber pipe freeze spray, but would need to be applied manually as its flammable lol.

I have a Hybrid FMIC already- its not a cost driven thing (although have limited budget of course)- its about the least possible lag. I read a thread with Andy F on here, where he reckoned 0.3 second difference between TMIC and FMIC- thats massive to me- I have 5 changes up the box over the course, and a total of 2 seconds to find....

It was the thread on here talking about people using TMIC's on drag strips that made me post, and very glad I did.

Some excellent ideas, and what forums should be about.
Old 21 February 2012, 07:43 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

You would be much more suited to a well thought out chargecooler set up in my oppinion.
Old 21 February 2012, 08:09 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

It is a thought, but I can just remove two of my fmic pipes to make it run on the tmic, and then back again.

I want the better cooling of the fmic for tracks etc, but less lag for hill events- our hill is very tight on corners so it does count.

If I ran a charge cooler would want to run that full time given the hassle, and ultimately it will heat up on track due to the water thermal properties.

If I has kept my mr2 would have gone that route and it is a good thought, and I do value your input
Old 21 February 2012, 08:10 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Sorry for some of the grammar and spelling- autotext and itouch!
Old 21 February 2012, 08:13 PM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

Heat shields can be made that just fit under the intercooler.

"powertape" is a reflective foil that has a reflective backing on it, can be applied to the sides of intercoolers to prevent a small amount of heatsoak.

Ducts can be fitted leading under the car that drags hot air out but only on the move, and would need quite abit of design but could be made to work by redesigning where the engine mount is to make enough space.

Just some food for thought...
Old 21 February 2012, 09:14 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Turbo has a heatshield 'beanie' on it
Thermal barrier mat will go under the intake, to reduce heat rising from the block
Air filter is heat shielded (or will be in a day or two) with a cold air feed from the foglight

I may also make a metal heat shield to block off the turbo, and keep that heat out of the engine bay.

Simtek is tuned to give a little extra fuel to cyl 3 to account for the heat.

But you are right, more work still to do....

I need to think about an appropriate shroud for a fan.

Given all the WRC boys run fans on the back of their IC's, as long as its an effectively sealed air system with the proper air tray the positive air flow should overcome any 'blowback' caused by a shroud/ fan under the IC
Old 21 February 2012, 09:20 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Grant74
It is a thought, but I can just remove two of my fmic pipes to make it run on the tmic, and then back again.

I want the better cooling of the fmic for tracks etc, but less lag for hill events- our hill is very tight on corners so it does count.

If I ran a charge cooler would want to run that full time given the hassle, and ultimately it will heat up on track due to the water thermal properties.

If I has kept my mr2 would have gone that route and it is a good thought, and I do value your input
I would consider water/meth injection, a good system is expensive to buy and fit but with the spray nozzle placed in the intercooler outlet it would have a direct impact on knocking down air charge temps and give you some safety on launch.
Trev

Last edited by trevsjwood; 21 February 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 21 February 2012, 10:10 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Its a good point- I will have a look in the blue book, as Im pretty close to the edge of production already.
Old 21 February 2012, 10:23 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

As above good Methanol injection will help,something like AEM methanol injection and second thought is if you have spare money contact Chevron about the his TMIC,but be aware its expensive

Jura
Old 21 February 2012, 10:36 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

id save the hassle and fit a front mount, why beat around the bush trying to cool something sat on top of constantly hot engine??

if your still running a top mount your hardly going to notice intake temps making a difference to your performance really...
Old 21 February 2012, 10:40 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

with my top mount set up i have phenolic spacers, the usual water spray and the bottom and turbo side of the ic is wrapped in reflect a gold, also got a turbo blanket.

when ive done a couple of sprints, i filla petrol can full of water and put it in the freezer and take a flask of freezing cold water, by the time ive used the flask enough water as melted in the petrol can to put back in the flask and then use that, does work well.

i did want to run meth/water injection myself but alot of tuners have warned me off it because of if something goes wrong engine goes bang, i know there are failsafes but there not 100% and the kits with the best failsafes dont come cheap as in flow sensors rather than measuring the current going to the motor
Old 21 February 2012, 11:56 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

As in you pour the water on to the intercooler, or that's for the spray?

Weighty- I have a front mount already- I'm trying to cut the lag and I'm pretty OCD about it lol
Old 22 February 2012, 12:13 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

For the spray, I don't put too much in cos it will warm up, you could wrap the spray bottle I suppose. I've got a charge temp gauge so I know it works well.
Old 22 February 2012, 04:43 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stedee
with my top mount set up i have phenolic spacers, the usual water spray and the bottom and turbo side of the ic is wrapped in reflect a gold, also got a turbo blanket.

when ive done a couple of sprints, i filla petrol can full of water and put it in the freezer and take a flask of freezing cold water, by the time ive used the flask enough water as melted in the petrol can to put back in the flask and then use that, does work well.

i did want to run meth/water injection myself but alot of tuners have warned me off it because of if something goes wrong engine goes bang, i know there are failsafes but there not 100% and the kits with the best failsafes dont come cheap as in flow sensors rather than measuring the current going to the motor
I only have experience of Aquamist, this for over 3years but they are at the top end of the market. The failsafes are, low flow for whatever reason, low tank level, not switched on, any of these and the controller won't allow the car to run more than 1bar of boost. The tuners I have used have never expressed any concerns on the reliability of the unit and always sought to map the car to it's full potential.
Trev
Old 22 February 2012, 08:19 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Any ideas if an oil/ water temp sensor will work? I like the idea of the threaded sensor, so you can seal the hole properly

Charge temp sensors seem to go for crazy money in some cases, or like the one I bought, it just has a probe, so I would have to insert it through a silicone pipe, and then try and reseal, which I dont fancy.
Old 22 February 2012, 09:36 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Grant74
Any ideas if an oil/ water temp sensor will work? I like the idea of the threaded sensor, so you can seal the hole properly

Charge temp sensors seem to go for crazy money in some cases, or like the one I bought, it just has a probe, so I would have to insert it through a silicone pipe, and then try and reseal, which I dont fancy.
A thermocouple wire/sensor laid under the throttlebody/intercooler join pipe/jubilee clip directly in the aircharge flow and run it to a thermocouple thermometer is the simplest and cheapest way. Spa do a range of gauges which can be used but are expensive.
The alternative is to drill and tap into the side of the intercooler.
Wouldn't have thought an oil /water sensor would be fast response enough,
it needs to refresh 2 or 3 times a second.
Trev
Old 22 February 2012, 09:47 PM
Bez300
Scooby Regular

This is the Hyperflow top mount, I'v reversed the strut brace, welded a wind deflector to it and added 2 water sprays to it, water tank in boot to keep cool.

Then Made a larger bonnet scoop with ribs in side it to keep it steady.

I do get heat soak when stood, but when I spray down with a hand held bottle when I in the que for the sprint,

These are the results with the top mount and other supporting mods.

No Lag

Bez

Last edited by Bez300; 22 February 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 22 February 2012, 09:54 PM
Bez300
Scooby Regular

The position Subaru use for there charge temp probe is just after the throttle body on the inlet manifold, this is on spec C's, this is where mine is fitted.

Bez
Old 22 February 2012, 10:59 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

I will have a play at the weekend- I dont think this sensor will work, but will have a look at some others.

Thats an amazing graph by the way! My Sc36 doesnt spool far off that lol

Quick Reply: Mods to keep top mount cool while stationary?