Notices

Turbo Changing Guide For MY00 Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2012, 11:56 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Turbo Changing Guide For MY00 Classic?

Hi guys, I've recently got hold of a VF35 turbo which I'm going to put onto my MY00 uk classic in place of the standard td04. I understand it's pretty much a direct swap and that's fine, but I've been trying to look for an actual fitting guide online (and failing miserably!) so at least I've got some instructions to follow. Anyway......I've found more than 2 websites now that say you could do with either an inspection pit, a vehicle lift, or at least a jack? I'm quite confused. What exactly do you need to get to from underneath the car? I thought everything to do with the turbo etc was easily accessible from the top? Is access from underneath just to make the job easier but not actually essential? Or is it a load of rubbish and you can just do it all from the top? Also I've seen in a thread on here listing the parts you need to do a turbo swap over, and the cone gasket that goes on the bottom of the downpipe to the centre section was one of them!? Why on earth would you need to change that? It's miles away from the turbo?!

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Old 11 February 2012, 12:18 AM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack car up. AXCEL STAND

Remove the 2 Bolts for the downpipe to centre section. and the 14mm that holds the downipe to the bracket, and one that holds it to the gearbox.

Now go to the top, Remove intercooler

Remove heatshild if it even has one 10mm bolts

Now remove the 5 14mm nuts from the downpipe once these are removed remove the downpipe from the car.

loosen the inlet pipe.

Remove the oil feed pipe and carfuly putt it to one side

Remove 3 x 14mm nuts that hold the turbo onto the up pipe.

Once this is done, wiggle it up and off.

Fitting is the reverse mate, but make sure you get the oil return pipe in

Sorry its brief but its bed time
Old 11 February 2012, 12:52 AM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate! Brief indeed, but all sounds pretty good to me!

I gotta admit tho, I still have no idea why the downpipe has to come off the car? Maybe it will be obvious if I actually go and look at it, but in my head I don't see a reason why you couldn't do it with it still in situ and just unbolt it from the turbo? Seems like a lot of extra work?
Old 11 February 2012, 06:11 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

You will have a job trying to wiggle the turbo off the uppipe with the downpipe attached . Also the downpipe bolts have been on your car for 12 yrs so they may well be very tight to remove. I would recommend that you follow the advice above but remove the turbo heatshield 1st as this can be a right pita, and you may have to cut it off.once you have done this , start the engine up and leave running for 10 mins to generate some heat into the turbo. You will hear people say soak the downpipe nuts in wd40, but heat is the best thing for removing stubborn nuts IMHO as wd is a water displacement fluid. Also make sure you use decent sockets for taking the nuts off to save rounding them off. Lastly a extra long pair of long nosed pliers will ensure that you can secure the bottom oil return pipe spring clip when you fit your new turbo. Also worth sticking a bowl under the car for when you remove the water hoses off your turbo to catch your coolant.
I like you found it a bit daunting at 1st , but have now changed 8 turbos in the last 3 yrs and its easy once you take your time.
Old 11 February 2012, 09:12 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Um beacause the down pipe is bolted to the turbo. So it needs to be remove. One of the down pipe bolts is only accessable from underneath the car.
Old 11 February 2012, 09:39 AM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
You will have a job trying to wiggle the turbo off the uppipe with the downpipe attached . Also the downpipe bolts have been on your car for 12 yrs so they may well be very tight to remove. I would recommend that you follow the advice above but remove the turbo heatshield 1st as this can be a right pita, and you may have to cut it off.once you have done this , start the engine up and leave running for 10 mins to generate some heat into the turbo. You will hear people say soak the downpipe nuts in wd40, but heat is the best thing for removing stubborn nuts IMHO as wd is a water displacement fluid. Also make sure you use decent sockets for taking the nuts off to save rounding them off. Lastly a extra long pair of long nosed pliers will ensure that you can secure the bottom oil return pipe spring clip when you fit your new turbo. Also worth sticking a bowl under the car for when you remove the water hoses off your turbo to catch your coolant.
I like you found it a bit daunting at 1st , but have now changed 8 turbos in the last 3 yrs and its easy once you take your time.

How did i forget abt the Plus gas or wd40 LOL its the first thing to do Hahaha.

Oh and you need to remove both water pipes, use a 3/8 extension to block them off to save the water going all over
Old 11 February 2012, 11:24 AM
coo003
BANNED

Thanks for that mate! Brief indeed, but all sounds pretty good to me!
------------------------------------------------------------------
cheap wedding dresses

Trending Topics

Old 11 February 2012, 02:34 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Um beacause the down pipe is bolted to the turbo. So it needs to be remove. One of the down pipe bolts is only accessable from underneath the car.
I know the downpipe is bolted to the turbo (not quiitteee that stupid lol), but I didn't understand why the downpipe actually needed to be removed rather than just unbolted and left in situ. I mean my backbox is bolted to my centre section, but I wouldn't take the centre section off if I wanted to change the backbox would I? Just didn't make sense to me having not done it before, that's all. Sounds like the turbo change will be easier with it out of the way tho, just hadn't thought of that before

Also didn't realise you needed to get at part of it from underneath the car either, so cheers for that, otherwise I'd have got a bit stuck doing it!

Cheers for all your replies so far
Old 16 February 2012, 12:04 AM
neil@rockvale
Scooby Regular

You can leave the downpipe on as thats how i done it last week , would have been much easier tho if it was out of the way but i managed ok . Also i done it with car on the floor and didnt need to get underneath . Worst part was trying to get the oil pipe in underneath the turbo when refitting , it was a proper ballache for me but again just take your time . It was first time i done one also and it was pretty straightfoward.