Notices

Remap after different brand of induction kit fitted?

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2012, 09:07 PM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remap after different brand of induction kit fitted?

I currently have a Tegiwa Induction kit fitted to my Blob Sti. It was remapped when the kit was installed.

Under inspection it looks pretty dirty and needs replacing.

Was looking at a pipercross foam filter as i have had a few before and love the noise they give off!

Would the car need to be mapped again with a different brand/larger filter? I.e would a different brand be sucking in more air and mess up the original map?

Cheers
Old 08 February 2012, 09:47 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would personally steer clear of the oiled foam filters like that as they completely mess up with the maf sensor.

Any changes like that would need the map at least checking to make sure all good IMHO though
Old 09 February 2012, 07:52 AM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dynamix i know you do remaps and stuff so i'll ask you, why does the map need to be tweaked let alone even checked when changing a filter?
Now don't get me wrong i'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, i bow down to your superior knowledge but is the ECU really not clever enough to adjust fuelling for that bit of extra air? ECU's don't need re mapping for summer and winter so what's the difference?
Old 09 February 2012, 08:01 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

The issue isn't just the filter the main issue is the cross section area of the tube containing the maf sensor. Any variance in the size of that compared to what the ecu is calibrated for affects how much air the ecu thinks is going into the engine. The ecu has a certain range that it can correct within (over time) to get it to what it thinks is right within the closed loop area but relying on this correction and hoping that the correction is proportional to air flow for when in open loop is too much of a risk IMO.

I have many calls about cars running lean when putting on induction kits as perhaps they are correcting to the full extent on this and can't correct any more. I had one last night in fact and they were enquiring about getting the CEL for lean running removed. Easy - take the induction kit off.
Old 09 February 2012, 11:29 AM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

That's explained it pretty well perfectly thanks.
Old 09 February 2012, 12:58 PM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

Thanks for clearing that up for me, i think i will just stick to the same brand of induction kit then, save myself messing around with remaps

Also, is performance directly related to the size of the induction kit? The one i have on the car now is pretty small...would i benefit from a much larger induction kit and remap to suit?

cheers
Old 09 February 2012, 01:06 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Let's be slightly more precise about this....

Not many induction kits offer bigger MAF pipe diameters, so assuming that, any increased airflow due to filter type is going to be marginal... again assuming you are changing from one induction kit to another.

The other thing is your MAF scale and based on your current mods, I can't see a different cone causing you any problems in that area.

So.....

Assuming the above and taking note that you measure the Internal Diameter of the new Induction Kit MAF pipe, against your own. If they are the same you will realistically be fine swapping to a new cone.
Old 09 February 2012, 01:07 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

to be fair you standard air box witha good panel filter is all you need really unless you heading into big horse power
Old 09 February 2012, 01:43 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Duncan or other mappers...

Would it be okay to run one of those - much maligned for Scoobs - HKS mushroom jobbies on a MAFless/Simtek equipped car?
Old 09 February 2012, 02:39 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

The 'rock-stopper' filter. Lol
Old 09 February 2012, 02:58 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

lol

I take it by that comment, the foam's holes are a bit 'too large' to safely employ it on car engines then?!

Last edited by joz8968; 09 February 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09 February 2012, 07:31 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by happydude303
to be fair you standard air box witha good panel filter is all you need really unless you heading into big horse power
There is an element of truth in that, although I have seen mid and peak increases (even at or around the 350bhp level) when changing to an induction kit. IMO though I don't think it's worth the expense on a Newage if running up to 400bhp, as the OEM system is good enough.
Old 09 February 2012, 07:33 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by joz8968
lol

I take it by that comment, the foam's holes are a bit 'too large' to safely employ it on car engines then?!
It depends which one you're referring to. I was running one of these (if you're referring to the green one) for a couple of years on a 95 WRX JDM, back in 2000!! No issues what so ever!

Don't take what some say, as absolute fact!
Old 09 February 2012, 08:02 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Can your air filter be cleaned and re-oiled??? Saves any hassle then.I am sure K&N say you don't need to clean theirs even when looking really grotty. I think they even comment about it improving the filteration, could be worth checking their site.
Old 09 February 2012, 11:40 PM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
Can your air filter be cleaned and re-oiled??? Saves any hassle then.I am sure K&N say you don't need to clean theirs even when looking really grotty. I think they even comment about it improving the filteration, could be worth checking their site.
Hi, yes after a good think im going to just clean the original induction kit... seems like a complete waste of money getting a different brand anyway..

Cheers
Old 14 April 2012, 08:13 PM
Scooby5tu
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by lewisdj
I currently have a Tegiwa Induction kit fitted to my Blob Sti. It was remapped when the kit was installed.

Under inspection it looks pretty dirty and needs replacing.

Was looking at a pipercross foam filter as i have had a few before and love the noise they give off!

Would the car need to be mapped again with a different brand/larger filter? I.e would a different brand be sucking in more air and mess up the original map?

Cheers
Sorry for bumping an old(ish) thread but I'm looking at getting the same induction kit as you (Tegiwa) and was wondering what they are like? What's the induction noise like, noisy, noisier than standard, quiet?
Old 25 April 2012, 09:21 PM
Scooby5tu
Scooby Newbie

Anyone??? Please?? :-)