mods:
1. 02 and up coilpacks
2. sti injectors walbro fuel pump
3. Tomei unequal turbo manifold & up pipe heat wrapped
4. act fly wheel and exceedy organic clutch kit
5. front mount intercooler & HKS BOV
6. sti turbo back side turbo
7. new o2 sensor bosch
8. 3 inch bellmouth down pipe matted with 3 1/2 inch exhaust all the way back with 31/2 resonator & muffler

initial problems:
1. stalling/bad/rough idling
2. fuel cutting out WOT around 5k to 6k rpm from 2nd to 4th gear (didn't try 5th)

story:
so recently i start noticing something weird while im doing a pull from 2nd gear. I would start doing the pull around 4k rpm in 2nd gear.... i would feel like a complete shut off/jerked and then split seconds later the speed would catch back up whenever i enter 5k to 6k rpm. but if i was to be smooth with the throttle, it would go up to redline no problem. with the initial problem of the idling, i changed out my pcv valve, spark plugs, fuel filter. (but the fuel cutting problem was already experienced once prior to changing these) i did my research on all the forums, just could not find the ACTUAL problem to this.... took my car to a subaru mechanic, he did a pressure test, said that the wastegate is stuck closed... but then i've heard from other people's opinion that if it was my turbo would have been smoked. i haven't check out the wastegate myself yet. because i heard if i was over boosting, the fuel defender would kick it, and would shut the engine off until i restart. but in my situation i didn't have to restart m car.. sooo this is where i'm confused on.. anyway i just want to get more people's opinion before i dig really deep into it. soo do you guys think that could be that problem? or is there something else that im missing? please helpp, this is driving me crazy
Old 02 February 2012, 10:46 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has the car been mapped for the mods ?
Old 02 February 2012, 10:49 AM
waydizzle13
Scooby Newbie

you mean tuned? yes it has. sorry i forgot to mention, it's tuned at 15 psi right now.
Old 02 February 2012, 03:01 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

on my 98my when you hit the stock ecu fuel cut it cut off the fuel somehow so the car jerked and lost drive for a split second, then I think due to momentum and the fuel coming back on it would bumpstart back again. All this happens very fast. Basically you didn't have to restart the car using the key after it happens, you just kept driving. I don't know what a fuel defender is but a 'fuel cut defender' electronically raises the point at which fuelcut occurs. As far as I know it doesn't actually 'defend' from damage or anything in fact it allows the car to overboost past the ecu's safe limit. If a mechanic says the wastegate is stuck it probably is, certainly sounds like it.
Old 02 February 2012, 03:33 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it is over boosting and hitting the fuel cut.

You tried cleaning the boost solenoid?
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...ontrolSolenoid
Old 02 February 2012, 04:41 PM
waydizzle13
Scooby Newbie

right, that's what i thought as well. but the thing is, i have a boost gauge hooked up in my car ( i know they are not 100% accurate but good to a certain point) anyway. if i was over boosting, wouldn't it past 15 psi on my gauge when it happens?? and i also heard, for overboosting, the psi would spike up really fast. as for my case, it seem like normal. im just really confused... ill check on the wastegate this weekend and go from there.