Notices

no breaks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2012, 02:03 PM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no breaks!!!!

i have changed my front springs over but on doin so i had to disconnect the break hoes as its fitted to the strut on a bracket stupid idea! on completion i have noticed that i have no breaks if i pump them they are there for a second as soon as i stop my foot just goes straight to the floor iv tryed bleedin them just cracked the nut and fluid squerted out both sides but still the same now iam stuck
Old 29 January 2012, 02:18 PM
wazlee
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I changed the shocks yesterday on my year 2000 & had a similar issue.

Did you un-attach the brake hose from caliper ?
If so, there are sealing washers that you need to make sure are sealer properly or ideally replace.

I put all mine back together to find one was leaking so have to get some new ones tomorrow.
Old 29 January 2012, 02:18 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richscoobylove84
i have changed my front springs over but on doin so i had to disconnect the break hoes as its fitted to the strut on a bracket stupid idea! on completion i have noticed that i have no breaks if i pump them they are there for a second as soon as i stop my foot just goes straight to the floor iv tryed bleedin them just cracked the nut and fluid squerted out both sides but still the same now iam stuck
Dont try driving the car again. Go on youtube and search how to bleed brakes. Make sure you have plenty of Dot 4 brake fluid and bleed both front calipers.
Old 29 January 2012, 02:23 PM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wazlee
Hi,

I changed the shocks yesterday on my year 2000 & had a similar issue.

Did you un-attach the brake hose from caliper ?
If so, there are sealing washers that you need to make sure are sealer properly or ideally replace.

I put all mine back together to find one was leaking so have to get some new ones tomorrow.
yes i did it was either that or cut the bracket off didnt really want to do that yes the washers are fine theres no leaks iv just had a brain wave iv only bleed the front maybe il have to bleed all 4 ?
Old 29 January 2012, 02:24 PM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madmarx
Dont try driving the car again. Go on youtube and search how to bleed brakes. Make sure you have plenty of Dot 4 brake fluid and bleed both front calipers.
ok thanks mate i have bleed both front am thinking i might have to do all 4 ?
Old 29 January 2012, 02:26 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

yes i did it was either that or cut the bracket off didnt really want to do that yes the washers are fine theres no leaks iv just had a brain wave iv only bleed the front maybe il have to bleed all 4 ?
No, dont touch the rear ones. Re bleed both front calipers. How are you bleeding the brakes ? with an assistant or one man method ?
Old 29 January 2012, 02:29 PM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

on my own which is my problem my mates on his way now so he can do the pedel for me cause think when iam lettin the pedel up with the screw undone its just sucking air back in ?
Old 29 January 2012, 02:33 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

on my own which is my problem my mates on his way now so he can do the pedel for me cause think when iam lettin the pedel up with the screw undone its just sucking air back in ?
You are doing exactly that. Wait for your mate to come. You will need to pass quite a bit of fluid through each caliper, make sure you have enough to top it up. Remember never release the brake pedal from the floor unless you have nipped the bleeder up.
Old 29 January 2012, 02:38 PM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

You are doing exactly that. Wait for your mate to come. You will need to pass quite a bit of fluid through each caliper, make sure you have enough to top it up. Remember never release the brake pedal from the floor unless you have nipped the bleeder up.
thanks alot mate will do
Old 29 January 2012, 02:42 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Buy yourself one these one day

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/brake-blee...item2c5f3d829a
Old 29 January 2012, 03:06 PM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

its still not working iv tryed both sides now on there own and 1 by 1 at least 4 times
Old 29 January 2012, 03:16 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

To bleed them correctly you would need a length of clear tubing a glass or plastic container and the spanner. Fill the glass up with a couple of inches of brake fluid and put the end of the tube in it. Dont let it come out above the fluid in the glass. With the other end on the bleed nipple, have an assistant press the brake pedal slowly to floor several times, finishing with the pedal on the floor. You lock off the bleeder with the pedal on the floor.
Or do 1 pump at a time and lock the bleeder briefly to let him release the pedal.
Old 29 January 2012, 03:20 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

To bleed them correctly you would need a length of clear tubing a glass or plastic container and the spanner. Fill the glass up with a couple of inches of brake fluid and put the end of the tube in it. Dont let it come out above the fluid in the glass. With the other end on the bleed nipple, have an assistant press the brake pedal slowly to floor several times, finishing with the pedal on the floor. You lock off the bleeder with the pedal on the floor.
Or do 1 pump at a time and lock the bleeder briefly to let him release the pedal.
Listen to this man
Old 29 January 2012, 03:39 PM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

yep thats what i was doing and i have found my problem i have a split in my hoes
Old 29 January 2012, 07:08 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

ouch
Old 29 January 2012, 07:15 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

No, dont touch the rear ones. Re bleed both front calipers. How are you bleeding the brakes ? with an assistant or one man method ?
Actually you should bleed alternate wheels. ie front n's then rear os. Then front os then rear ns.
This is because you have 2 brake circuits being opposite wheels, one front one rear for safety reasons.
Old 29 January 2012, 07:41 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

[quote=chopperman;10459135]Actually you should bleed alternate wheels. ie front n's then rear os. Then front os then rear ns.
This is because you have 2 brake circuits being opposite wheels, one front one rear for safety reasons.

As long as the resevoir didnt empty, the air would only be in the front strut pipe, so no rear brake lines needed to be touched.

For a total brake bleed or fluid change then obviously you would bleed all circuits, one circuit at a time.
Old 29 January 2012, 08:28 PM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stedee
ouch
yep lol
Old 29 January 2012, 08:32 PM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

[quote=madmarx;10459201]
Originally Posted by chopperman
Actually you should bleed alternate wheels. ie front n's then rear os. Then front os then rear ns.

As long as the resevoir didnt empty, the air would only be in the front strut pipe, so no rear brake lines needed to be touched.

For a total brake bleed or fluid change then obviously you would bleed all circuits, one circuit at a time.
yeah resevoir was bone dry left it for 2nyt new hoes been put on
Old 29 January 2012, 08:42 PM
mike h
Scooby Regular

A little tip for removing struts regarding where the hose passes through the little bracket on the strut.
Unclip the hose retainer and wiggle the hose loose.
Cut a slot in the side of the bracket slightly wider than the rubber hose and slide the brake hose out.
The retaining clip holds the hose perfectly when refitted, even with the slot cut in the bracket.
No need to disconnect the brakes.
Old 29 January 2012, 08:49 PM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike h
A little tip for removing struts regarding where the hose passes through the little bracket on the strut.
Unclip the hose retainer and wiggle the hose loose.
Cut a slot in the side of the bracket slightly wider than the rubber hose and slide the brake hose out.
The retaining clip holds the hose perfectly when refitted, even with the slot cut in the bracket.
No need to disconnect the brakes.
wish id done that mate that was sort of my intention in the 1st place but looked alot easyer to just undo the hose and reconnect it oh how wrong i was lol
Old 29 January 2012, 09:16 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

[quote=richscoobylove84;
yeah resevoir was bone dry left it for 2nyt new hoes been put on[/quote]

If resevoir ran dry then you may as well change the complete brake fluid. You should ask someone who knows how to do this for you.
If you have to disconnect a brake line in the future either use a hose clamp or for a steel or copper pipe get a piece of rubber tube with a screw in one end to put over the end of the pipe to stop fluid leaking away. oh and dont touch the brake pedal till you have re attached the pipe.