Newage Gearbox oil drain question

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2012, 09:06 PM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage Gearbox oil drain question

Hey,

replaced the gearbox and engine ol in my 06 STi Uk car,drained it with the large drain bolt underneath and then re-filled but it only took around 2.4 litres to get the gearbox to full? is there another drain bolt under there somewhere?

also I disconnected the cam position sensor and cranked it until the oil light went out,but not engine management light is on,will this go out or does it need to be re-set?

thanks,
Old 25 January 2012, 09:10 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motion-Mx
Hey,

replaced the gearbox and engine ol in my 06 STi Uk car,drained it with the large drain bolt underneath and then re-filled but it only took around 2.4 litres to get the gearbox to full? is there another drain bolt under there somewhere?

also I disconnected the cam position sensor and cranked it until the oil light went out,but not engine management light is on,will this go out or does it need to be re-set?

thanks,
Not sure of the capacity, but I was warned that the oil needs to be added extra slowly (like all fluids in this fricking car!) as you can get air locks in the 'box.
Old 25 January 2012, 09:21 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As above it needs to be poured in very slowly, IE not thicker than the width of the dipstick pipe to avoid air bubbles, Its normally pumped in at garages from what i have seen but easy to do at home if you take your time re-filling.
Old 25 January 2012, 11:17 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep! You forgot the drain plug under the gearbox itself. There is a small sump hidden by the plastic undershield beneath the gearbox (to the rear of the large engine undershield) This sump has a drain plug.
I've never had a problem with air locks when re-filling the box. I use a 1 litre plastic oil bottle (that the G/box oil came in) with a long plastic tube into the dipstick hole and simply pump it in! It helps to warm the oil while it's in it's container in a saucpan of boiling water.

The engine check light will go out after a few starts, when the ECU realises there's nothing wrong!

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 25 January 2012 at 11:25 PM.