Notices

2007 wrx rattles and knocks ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2012, 09:15 PM
ohgoon2007
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 wrx rattles and knocks ?

hi guys its been a while since i have been on but i have just aquired my self a really low millage hawkeye but have some strange problems . ??
1 . when under load im getting a rattle sounds like its coming from the passenger seat a light mettalic rattle and im confused wot it is ?
2. getting a slight wine ( not all the time )and knock on the back end and notice the knock more when pulling away from stand still when lifting the clutch .
im really confused as the car has only done 15k with full subaru history ?
any help guys would be gratefull as im getting frustrated as i cant pinpoint it anywhere . ?
Old 23 January 2012, 09:31 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Not sure mate but the knock as you described could be the rear shocks. A comom fault they normally last about 5 years and then need replacing. Its a good excuse to get coilovers. loool
Old 23 January 2012, 09:34 PM
ohgoon2007
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Not sure mate but the knock as you described could be the rear shocks. A comom fault they normally last about 5 years and then need replacing. Its a good excuse to get coilovers. loool
cool wot would you recommend im not tracking day its a weekend toy really so not looking at spending loads . could that be the strange light rattle aswel then ?
Old 23 January 2012, 09:47 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by ohgoon2007
cool wot would you recommend im not tracking day its a weekend toy really so not looking at spending loads . could that be the strange light rattle aswel then ?
I don't want to say it is because I can't be 100% sure as I haven't seen the car myelf. But have a look and see if the shocks are leaking.

If you are looking at coilovers I would suggest BC coilovers. If you do a quick search you will see how highly recommeneded they are. I use them and think they are great. Worh every penny.

The other strage rattling I don't know but if you can have a look under the car you might see something obvious.
Old 23 January 2012, 09:50 PM
ohgoon2007
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
I don't want to say it is because I can't be 100% sure as I haven't seen the car myelf. But have a look and see if the shocks are leaking.

If you are looking at coilovers I would suggest BC coilovers. If you do a quick search you will see how highly recommeneded they are. I use them and think they are great. Worh every penny.

The other strage rattling I don't know but if you can have a look under the car you might see something obvious.
yeh just looked nothing leaking so the rattling has got to be a bush and they all sort of wine anyway especially if a bush has gone i guess it will through it out of line i guess .
Old 24 January 2012, 08:56 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

The rattlling sound could be the heatshield that runs underneath the car.
The knocking might be your rear shocks but at 15k miles might be something else.
Old 24 January 2012, 10:58 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohgoon2007
hi guys its been a while since i have been on but i have just aquired my self a really low millage hawkeye but have some strange problems . ??
1 . when under load im getting a rattle sounds like its coming from the passenger seat a light mettalic rattle and im confused wot it is ?
2. getting a slight wine ( not all the time )and knock on the back end and notice the knock more when pulling away from stand still when lifting the clutch .
im really confused as the car has only done 15k with full subaru history ?
any help guys would be gratefull as im getting frustrated as i cant pinpoint it anywhere . ?
My first thought was a problem in the rear diff. Incorrect mesh between the crownwheel and pinion and/or diff. bevel gears, may cause a whine and the knock could be the excessive crownwheel and pinion clearance. First thing to do is check the rear diff oil level. The oil should be nice and clear. Any discolouration of the oil could indicate a problem. There should be 0.8Ltr in there.

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 24 January 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 24 January 2012, 01:38 PM
lee67
Scooby Regular

my blobeye recently started knocking at the rear..2 new rear shocks and 4 uprated springs as one had snapped in half!!!...so check those...after fitting these a day or so after i had a slight metal knock/rattle from the seat area, found out its the seatbelt rachet mech( im sure theres a cure on here so do a search)...if u pull the seatbelts out really fast, and let em go back..then that stopped my noise for a while...good luck
Old 24 January 2012, 01:39 PM
lee67
Scooby Regular

also i forgot to add that i too removed my heatshields as they were indeed rattling esp when cold...