Car died

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2012, 02:42 PM
Finbin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died

Help required.

Car died last night on the way home from work, started OK then stopped after half a mile.

Car returned to work car park by fellow work friend. Had quick look at it before wife picked me up and took me home. There is no fuel coming out of fuel filter.

I had a quick search on internet for possible causes, relay and fuel pump was common fault. I have a spare car sitting in drive, so I removed fuel pump and the two relays that sit under dash by the fuse box.

I have connected fresh fuel pump to car without success, so I dived under dash and replaced the relay with blue plug again no success, then I replaced the relay with red plug again no success. Whilst I was under dash I see could see another relay with a green plug so I swapped this as well again no success.

Is there a supply fuse for the fuel pump? And if so where is it?

What else should I look at?

Car is UK Impreza Turbo 1999 (V reg)
Old 20 January 2012, 02:50 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Apparently there is a fuse behing the coin tray, have you looked at this?
Old 20 January 2012, 02:55 PM
Finbin
Scooby Regular

Yes do you know which one is for the fuel pump?
Old 20 January 2012, 03:05 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

No 11?
Old 20 January 2012, 03:38 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

If unsure which fuse then pull check and replace them one at a time.
Old 20 January 2012, 03:51 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

some reading for u !!

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...y-problem.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...t-cut-out.html

I had a similar problem, which turned out to be the immobiliser (clifford).
you could try running a live supply direct to the pump, to see if it will run.....

alan
Old 20 January 2012, 05:43 PM
Finbin
Scooby Regular

Fuse 11 OK.

Just run wire directly from battery to pump and pump to earth and engine fires up OK.

At least I can get it home for further invesigation, tracing wires looks like the order of the day.
Old 20 January 2012, 06:14 PM
spender(again)
Scooby Regular

connectors under rear seat are a common location for some faulty wiring......
Old 20 January 2012, 06:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Does the car have either an alarm or an immobiliser?
Both are common culprits for non-starting
Old 20 January 2012, 07:42 PM
Finbin
Scooby Regular

The car has a standard alarm/immobiliser. Does anybody know what colour wires go through it, or does anyone have a wiring diagram for this circuit?
Old 06 February 2012, 01:43 PM
scoobynick1983
Scooby Newbie

hi guys,im a newby so be gentle,anyways im having similar sort of problem with my impreza wagon turbo 97,car starts and idles good,but as soon as i start driving after about 5 miles car will cut out?it will only fire back into life if i tap the fuel pump relay with the green plug??i have replaced relay with new one but still the problem occurs,also the relay is burning hot,fuel pump primes and sounds fine???

i have disconnected and cleaned all connectors and checked all fuses but still this problem happens???

car did have an alarm immobiliser but it has all been disconnected by previous owner

does anybody know what is causing this problem and know where to start so i can rectify it

all help would be much appreciated

thanks nick
Old 06 February 2012, 04:06 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's getting hot, sounds like there could be a short somewhere which could possibly cause a thermal cut out, not sure how these work as not too familar with subaru electrics.

I would start by making sure none of the wires are burnt in the loom and that none of the connectors are touching, as if the original relay was faulty and running hot it's possible that this caused some of the associated wiring to melt and stick together in the loom thus causing another short.
Old 06 February 2012, 07:07 PM
scoobynick1983
Scooby Newbie

cheers,when i was looking at the wiring loom,there where 3 wire up againt a sharp metal edge and looked as if they had been cut by rubbing up against it,i moved them away and checked the part it had rubbed on to see if had gone through to the wire but by the looks of things it has'nt,also when it cuts out all it takes is for me to grab the fuel pump relay and give it a wiggle or tap and car bursts into life??

just need to find the problem as i need to be up in edinburgh on thurs-fri for a course and dont know if i'd be safer getting a rental car instead of causing more damage or ending up at the side of the road!!
Old 07 February 2012, 09:30 AM
cary2012
Scooby Newbie

automotive dvr camera system,car did have an alarm immobiliser
Old 07 February 2012, 03:55 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a dodgy relay, all sorts of things can happen to them especially as you say its getting hot, and you had a short, first thing i'd do is insulate the bare wires with some tape , check the area again for any other signs of heat damage and change the relay, but if your able to solve the problem by messing with the relay then it's giving you the answer your looking for, and a new relay is cheaper than a hire car.
Old 07 February 2012, 04:37 PM
scoobynick1983
Scooby Newbie

well ive had the dash stripped and wiring loom opened and no split wires or signs of burnt loom any where,also managed to get it to stop idling at junctions(burst spring on dump valve)have had it out most of the day and it hasnt cut out once,i starting to think that it was a bad connection on one of the block connectors or plugs on the bottom of the fuse box,

thank you for the help and the pointers people much appreciated,will just have to bite the bullet tomorow on way to edinburgh!!fingers crossed it dont play up,lol
Old 09 February 2012, 07:25 AM
eclipse performance
Former Sponsor

Did you get it sorted finbin? I would check the wiring/plug under the back seat. We see a few where the plug gets corroded and the contact fails.

One led to a failed engine as it was intermittently switching the pump off at high revs!
Old 09 February 2012, 02:54 PM
Finbin
Scooby Regular

I should apologise, I thought I had posted what I had found.

Yes all sorted, (sort of).

This is what I found, green plug relay is the fuel pump relay (which is situated behind dashboard need to look up from the pedals) this relay has four wires going to it:-

Green/red (coil terminal) from fuse box inside car (fuse 11) this becomes live when ignition is switched on (+12volts).
Green/black (coil terminal) from ECU this provides the earth for coil, which looks like this controls the operation of the relay, switches off relay when up to pressure.
Black/red (thicker) contact terminal from main fuse box (slow burn fuse 5 in the engine bay)
Black/yellow (thicker) contact terminal to fuel pump

The black/yellow wire after about a couple of inches has a soldered joint under some heat shrink and the wire changes into a plain black wire which disappears into a loom!

Unsure where this went, I then started to follow the wires back from the fuel pump. As people know you get to this by removing boot carpet and access plate in the boot. The plug has five wires, I was only interested in the thicker ones which were:-Black/red and Black. I then removed the rear seat base to discover a plug/socket joint where the black/red wire changes into a black/yellow wire. Following this into a loom which runs along the inside of the sill to the front of the driver’s door. I remove the trim to prove I was following the correct loom.

At the end if the loom, wires go into a white plug/socket joint there I found the black/yellow wire. The black/yellow wire after about a couple of inches has a soldered joint under some heat shrink and the wire changes into a plain black wire which disappears into a loom! I can only guess this goes to the alarm/immobiliser?

So I did what anybody else would do after chasing this for a long time and having most of the car stripped, I run a new piece of wire between the two soldered joints.

Hurray, car now starts and runs.

Then all that was left to do was put car back together.

If anybody has any questions or does not understand my writing drop me a message.

Cheers
Old 09 February 2012, 04:39 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

FinBin - this is a common fault and is often being asked about in the forum. You have supplied some great info in your last post....

Many thanks !

alan