Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2011, 10:28 PM
rs-ross
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Advice Please

I'm going to look at this car on sunday:

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2842866.htm

Is there anything you guys think I should be checking in particular, or to pay special attention to that's been mentioned in the spec?

I don't have any experience with Subarus, all my previous cars have been fast Fords so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ross
Old 10 December 2011, 12:40 PM
rs-ross
Scooby Newbie

Any pointers...anything? Here's the spec in case the link doesn't work:

STI Type R, VERSION 6, X Reg, Clutch start, Last of the Classic shape 2 door coupe, Big Spec with no expense spared. The car has undergone a major overhaul with a new 2.5 USDM Short motor, rebuilt version 6 heads, Fully rebuilt gearbox with new syncro's in all gears, rebuilt with taller gear ratio's in order to achieve more power top end as well as a New VF35 Turbo. This work has been carried out this year and the car has covered approximately 1,000 miles since the work. I have paperwork to show all the work which has been carried out by a very Professional team with lots of experience in the modifying industry namely Dyno Demon. 2 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Coupe, Petrol, 65,000 miles, White, MOT-10-2012,
Here is an overview:

327bhp/359ft lb torque with Dyno Printout from Dyno Demon,
New 2.5 USDM Short Motor Imported from the US only covered 1,000 miles (£2,500),
Rebuilt Version 6 heads,
Steel Head Gaskets,
11mm ARP Head stud kit (£217.00)
Fully Rebuilt Gearbox with new synchro's in all gears (£1,073.00),
ECUTEK Remap (£646.00),
New VF35 Turbo from V9 Sti (£599.00),
Full S/S Exhaust System (£500.00),
Ninja Decat Downpipe,
High Flow Centre Sports Cat,
Autobahn 88 Front Mount Intercooler (£420.00),
Helix Organic Clutch,
650cc Injectors,
Parallel Fuel Rails,
Mocal Top Mounted Oil Cooler (£300.00),
Up rated RCM Oil Pump (£197.00),
Uprated Oil Sump (£600.00),
Uprated Oil Catch can,
Powerstation Handling Kit,
Bump and Steer Mod,
Cusco Adjustable Coilovers,
Anti Lift Kit,
Uprated Roll bars and Droplinks,
16" Powder Coated Alloys with 4 New Goodyear Tyres,
Brembo Brake Conversion,
Performance Discs and Mintex Pads,
Zero Sports Hard Pipe Kit and coolthermo Airfilter,
HKS Dump Valve,
Large Walboro Fuel Pump,
Oil, temp, turbo gauges,
Sti V6 High level rear spoiler,
Sti Carbon Fibre Strut Brace,
Clutch Start and much more too much to list.

It comes complete with a CAT1 Alarm and Immobiliser and Tracker. The Cambelt has been done along with this work. Over £11,300 spent on this car in the past 3 Years. The car has only covered 3000 miles in the past 3 years with MOT's to prove. Insurance Group:20, Car also comes with DCCD, Short Shift Sti Gearbox, Sti Seats Elec Windows/Mirrors, A/C etc. This car must be viewed to be appreciated, Work carried out by Dyno Demon, All work is documented with a huge folder full of bills in excess of £30,000. This car has been built to the highest standard with no expense spared. It has power and plenty of torque through every gear with very smooth gear change to go with it. Original Bill of sale from David Hendry Cars for £27,500 New and in standard form
Old 10 December 2011, 01:21 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

How much is the car, that sounds like a monster spec.

The thing that hasn't been said is the running in period and then the final map tweak.

If it is an original type r then it is an import.

16" with brembos, I didn't think they fit. Starge that is. Also with all that work it should have more bhp. There is no mention of a 6 speed conversion which is something that idealy should have been done when doing work on that level. I'm surprised they used USDM instead of the UK 2.5.

I know this is going to sound stupid but if I was talking to the guy on the phone there would be certain things I would ask him before even going out to see it. Depending on what he answers would determine my next load of questions that I ask him. But I can't explain that all in words on here sorry.
Old 10 December 2011, 02:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brembo's are probably a 16 inch (308mm AP disc or Godspeed) conversion, these use the same/similar calipers as the Pug 406 3ltr and fiat turbo coupe (they are pretty good, use to have the same setup on my classic ).
Id be a little worried about the gearbox, 359lbs of torque is ALOT for a 5 speed, even if its been rebuilt (by the looks to standard form), if it was an sc build then id be happy, it may be something you need look at in the future.

Also print this off http://www.subaru-impreza.org/impreza-checklist.html and use it when you go to look at the car.

Tony
Old 10 December 2011, 03:00 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Brembo's are probably a 16 inch (308mm AP disc or Godspeed) conversion, these use the same/similar calipers as the Pug 406 3ltr and fiat turbo coupe (they are pretty good, use to have the same setup on my classic ).
Id be a little worried about the gearbox, 359lbs of torque is ALOT for a 5 speed, even if its been rebuilt (by the looks to standard form), if it was an sc build then id be happy, it may be something you need look at in the future.

Also print this off http://www.subaru-impreza.org/impreza-checklist.html and use it when you go to look at the car.

Tony
That would explain the brembo thing lol. And looks like I'm not the only one with concerns with the gearbox on that car.

Call the seller up and post back on here mate. We will try and sift through what he says and see if you need to either call again or walk away.
Old 11 December 2011, 12:36 PM
rs-ross
Scooby Newbie

Thanks you both for your replies. I can't get down there today now so have got some more time to think/do research.

Apart from the gearbox - the fact it only has 1000 miles on the rebuild worries me - looking on here it seems running in takes longer than that and certain issues may still not have shown themselves? It's a difficult one as I would definitely be looking for one that's had a rebuild - but ideally have been run in and used for a fair bit first.