Notices

Wee bit of piston-slap, end of the world?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2011, 01:44 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wee bit of piston-slap, end of the world?

So this has only come about as a result of the cold weather, but noticed some very faint piston-slap on cold start. Only lasts for around a mile or so but is it going to be a huge issue? Rebuild etc?? Or can I live with it? Doesn't seem to affect the car in any way and always fades away after a short time..
Old 21 November 2011, 01:54 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Common issue this buddy. I get a bit on cold start but like you it seems to fade away.
It's not major and is fine to carry on as normal.
Some people get the engines done as cant stick the noise which may get progressively worse with time.
I'm happy to leave mine to be honest as its really not a problem and you have to have the hearing of a cat to hear it.
I'm going to carry on as normal and wait (if it ever happens) until the car goes pop, I'll then be having another newage STI bottom end stroked to a 2.1.
Old 21 November 2011, 01:58 PM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I've got it too. As soon as the car is warm it goes.
Old 21 November 2011, 02:01 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

It's re-assuring others have the same issue if it is an issue The car doesn't smoke or miss etc so I'll just live with it as you fellas are I think.. until it goes pop!
Old 21 November 2011, 02:09 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine makes a bit of piston noise on cold start but it is seen as normal with the newage forged sti pistons.
Old 21 November 2011, 02:14 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

i had a 1995 jdm sti which gained this horrid noise and it was the end of the engine whithin a few months of being driven hard,.
Old 21 November 2011, 02:19 PM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

I get that every morning but thats because my engine has been fully forged but i never drive before the noise goes away which take 5min warming up everyday before i can drive.
Old 21 November 2011, 02:34 PM
sonicvr6
BANNED

i would worry just let it get warm before you drive it i never take mine over 2k before it's warm and forged do make nose lol
Old 21 November 2011, 02:53 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Trouble is where I live I can't really justify sitting in the car running it for 5 minutes!! It's a little bit noisy Not too much though.. Enough to annoy folk if I sat there for any length of time though..
Old 21 November 2011, 03:02 PM
sonicvr6
BANNED

i go out 5-10 min's before i got out in the morning and leave it running and you can hear mine from long way off 3.5 inch strait through from turbo lol
Old 21 November 2011, 03:12 PM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

I start my car at 7:20am everyday with a decat blits nur spec r my neighbours love me for that
Old 21 November 2011, 03:14 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonicvr6
i go out 5-10 min's before i got out in the morning and leave it running and you can hear mine from long way off 3.5 inch strait through from turbo lol
Originally Posted by BLACKSTI97
I start my car at 7:20am everyday with a decat blits nur spec r my neighbours love me for that

Old 21 November 2011, 03:19 PM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

Double post
Old 21 November 2011, 03:19 PM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLACKSTI97

Say they love you mate

@OP, My wagon is fully forged 2.5 and has piston slap in the morning, my procedure is start it let it idle for 30 secs and then drive away, keeping the revs below 3k until warm. I think the letting it idle takes longer for the pistons to expand to spec. I just get in a drive it have been doing that for 15k and no problems.
Old 21 November 2011, 04:12 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Baz82
Say they love you mate

@OP, My wagon is fully forged 2.5 and has piston slap in the morning, my procedure is start it let it idle for 30 secs and then drive away, keeping the revs below 3k until warm. I think the letting it idle takes longer for the pistons to expand to spec. I just get in a drive it have been doing that for 15k and no problems.
I'll give 30 secs a go and see how it goes I think.. cheers for advice..
Old 21 November 2011, 05:17 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

i have fully forged and the sound of slight piston tapping, completely normal.

although i would not leave it idling on the drive for 10 mins, i prefer to let it idle 30sec to a minute and drive slowly, much better way to get heat into the engine
Old 21 November 2011, 08:51 PM
P1P!
Scooby Regular

yep nothing to worry about. My forged 2.5 sounds like a Mk1 fista when it first starts from cold but them once warmed up it's as quiet as a mouse.
Old 21 November 2011, 10:02 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

You can always tell winter's coming on when piston slap posts start springing up on S'net!

JohnD
Old 20 January 2012, 04:17 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Well reading this has cheered me up! Phew... panic over!
Old 21 January 2012, 01:51 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is no excessive oil consumption,then I wouldnt worry about it tbh.

Mick
Old 10 April 2012, 10:59 PM
datuck
Scooby Regular

is this what u guys here in the morning?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrdMpLPUu3c
Old 10 April 2012, 11:39 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by datuck
is this what u guys here in the morning?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrdMpLPUu3c
Does that noise go when it gets hot ?

Mine doesn't sound as bad as that to be honest and disappears pretty quickly after its started.
Old 11 April 2012, 01:17 AM
datuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Does that noise go when it gets hot ?

Mine doesn't sound as bad as that to be honest and disappears pretty quickly after its started.
takes about 5mins of easy driving and it goes away completely then i go ***** out lol. i bought the car about 2 weeks ago and it was not tapping at all. i put some 5w30 semi synthetic oil in as a top up and it started tapping on a cold start. i then found out that its has 5w40 synthetic used in it all its life. i had a oil change done on it today and its still tapping. a better vid of the tapping im getting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQELTwI6Qk0

Last edited by datuck; 11 April 2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11 April 2012, 08:48 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rez
So this has only come about as a result of the cold weather, but noticed some very faint piston-slap on cold start. Only lasts for around a mile or so but is it going to be a huge issue? Rebuild etc?? Or can I live with it? Doesn't seem to affect the car in any way and always fades away after a short time..
strip your car out. then you can listen to the whine of the fuel pump and coilover suspension. you will never hear that piston slap again
Old 11 April 2012, 09:24 AM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

takes about 5mins of easy driving and it goes away completely then i go ***** out lol. i bought the car about 2 weeks ago and it was not tapping at all. i put some 5w30 semi synthetic oil in as a top up and it started tapping on a cold start. i then found out that its has 5w40 synthetic used in it all its life. i had a oil change done on it today and its still tapping. a better vid of the tapping im getting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQELTwI6Qk0
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that sounds like the bigends are just starting to let go to me, if you hold the revs from under the bonnet and increase them very slowly to say 1800rpm the point at which the revs rise the noise sounds a little thudd like then I'd say it's definitely the bigends.
Old 11 April 2012, 09:40 AM
datuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Davey96wrx
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that sounds like the bigends are just starting to let go to me, if you hold the revs from under the bonnet and increase them very slowly to say 1800rpm the point at which the revs rise the noise sounds a little thudd like then I'd say it's definitely the bigends.
Big end hahah wow that goes away once the car was warmed up thats pretty unheard of. ive been in a car with the big end going and u dont hit 135 with big end. i know your trying to only help but thats pretty harsh to just throw out there that its big end knock.
Old 11 April 2012, 09:45 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Yeah the engine sounds poorly mate but it's hard when listening through IPhone, if it settles down and runs smoothly once upto running temps then I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited by L.J.F; 11 April 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11 April 2012, 09:49 AM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

Big end hahah wow that goes away once the car was warmed up thats pretty unheard of. ive been in a car with the big end going and u dont hit 135 with big end. i know your trying to only help but thats pretty harsh to just throw out there that its big end knock.
Hey was only saying what it sounded like, when they first start they are more noticeable on a cold morning.

Will be looking back at this thread in a week or two and see how silly my advice was...
Old 11 April 2012, 10:03 AM
datuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L.J.F
Yeah the engine sounds poorly mate but it's hard when listening through IPhone, if it settles down and runs smoothly once upto running temps then I wouldn't worry too much.
Im pretty sure it sounds worse by the phones speaker this is not even my car or vid. mine doesnt knock at idel at all like this guys car is. its only when i rev it a little u can hear it, its quite hard to get it in the sweet spot to here it. My nearest garage is about a mile away by the time i get it there the ticking has gone. I would have to drop the car off for say 3 to 4 hours before the tapping returned at a cold start. you can only here it at light load and it doesnt go through all the rev range car pulls fine still really fast. i have been for big drives in it giving it some and no change to the noise. it doent seem to be getting any worse fingers crossed.

Last edited by datuck; 11 April 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11 April 2012, 10:07 AM
datuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Davey96wrx
Hey was only saying what it sounded like, when they first start they are more noticeable on a cold morning.

Will be looking back at this thread in a week or two and see how silly my advice was...
O very sorry m8 didnt mean to sound offish but its because i was concidering what u said as a possibillty. Which made me get all worried lol my bad

Quick Reply: Wee bit of piston-slap, end of the world?