Notices

Turbo timers - newage wrx ??

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2011, 11:32 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo timers - newage wrx ??

Okay guys anyone here able to advise exactly what the score is with the warm up / cool down on a newage wrx ?? often thought about buying a turbo timer but time and time again you here " save your money - totally unneccesary " and yet you see adverts worded - " always warmed up / cooled down " .

so okay appreciatte that the majority off us dont drive right to our destination on boost and always drive off boost for say the last few miles anyway, when I get the car back on on the drive at home I am led to believe it is okay just to switch straight off- correct ??

so okay if this is a safe enough way off doing things and I dont need to sit with the car ticking over for several minutes again even after driving off boost for the last few miles whats the story with the initial start up off the car ?? again I always wait until the car is fully warmed before driving on boost but dont sit for a few minutes to warm the car up prior to driving it- should I be ??

as I say have often heard folk say forgett turbo timers they are not needed , is this correct with the turbo used in the newage wrx and is my way off doing things okay ??
Old 24 October 2011, 11:37 AM
MattJ85
Scooby Regular

When I start my car I always leave it for about 3-5 minutes in the morning to warm up. It gives me time to settle in the car before driving

Upon driving home I will drive under 2k revs for the last 5 to 10 minutes and then when parked up I will also leave it to tick over for about a minute.

Sitting there with the engine on only warms the engine it - it doesnt warm up the gear or any transmission oil.

I was in the same posiiton as you - I am not bothering with a simple stopwatch to count down one minute, i think my brain is more capable of making the judgement
Old 24 October 2011, 12:22 PM
jr-85
Scooby Newbie

I just drive sensible for ten minutes when i start driving and take it easy for the last ten minutes before turning the car off,who got time&patients to sit on there for ages bored and annoy the neighbours with a deep burble at 6 in the morning? A quick way to get your car keyed i think! Lol
Old 24 October 2011, 12:28 PM
MattJ85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jr-85
A quick way to get your car keyed i think! Lol
Yeah which is why I don't stay long outside mine in the morning
Old 24 October 2011, 12:31 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

IMHO, get it moving from cold, just take it easy till up to temperature...

Cool down, simply ease off a mile from home.

dunx
Old 24 October 2011, 12:37 PM
Geordie_Aaron
Scooby Regular

EVERY car users manual says to drive sensibly (majority state to drive below a certain RPM) until warm. NONE of them say sit there for 1-5 minutes until temperature has rose, bearing in mind if you dont have an oil temp gauge all you're seeing is the COOLANT temp not engine
ALTHOUGH - in any car i've owned i always wait 20seconds before pulling off just to make sure the oil is everywhere it needs to be before loading the engine.

as for idling before turning off......not sure, many places state that hot oil stays in the lines which is bad because it turns to sludge or sumit?

Last edited by Geordie_Aaron; 24 October 2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 24 October 2011, 12:45 PM
Loco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
often thought about buying a turbo timer but time and time again you here " save your money - totally unneccesary " and yet you see adverts worded - " always warmed up / cooled down " .
turbo warm up and cool down is essential. the reason people say that turbo timers are a waste of money on newage is that they interfere with the alarm system.

basically, you can set a turbo timer to count down and then switch the engine off automatically, so you can remove the key. the problem comes when you go to lock it.

newage alarms throw a hissy-fit that the engine is still running, but the doors are being locked - hence the reason people say they are a waste of money, because you still have to stand around and wait for the turbo timer to shut the engine off before you lock it (which you can just do yourself).

Now, for the warm up /cool down period, i think the reason you warm your engine is obvious. but the reason to let the turbo cool after a journey is that it just turning the engine straight off can mean that the warm oil cools inside the turbo, instead of draining out, and can cause coking of the turbo (bad news).

So definitely warm up / cool down your engine, but as most people say, don't waste your money on a turbo timer

Trending Topics

Old 24 October 2011, 12:46 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't sit and let my car idle to warm up. Just get in and drive it gently. I use a turbo timer which turns the car off pretty much as I've finished putting the steering lock on and getting out the car. More of a gimmick than anything though.

Last edited by ScoobyDoo69; 24 October 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 24 October 2011, 12:48 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

warm oil will drain out, it's having a red hot turboshaft that may burn the oil into a coke deposit...
Old 24 October 2011, 01:17 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a Brand new HKS TT for sale if interested. Small & compact aswell
Old 24 October 2011, 01:29 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kas Spec C
I got a Brand new HKS TT for sale if interested. Small & compact aswell
Stop it, keep getting told they are not required 99.9% especially on newage cars !!

more off a gimmick than anything else !!

genuine HKS ?? how much ??!!
Old 24 October 2011, 01:35 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Stop it, keep getting told they are not required 99.9% especially on newage cars !!

more off a gimmick than anything else !!

genuine HKS ?? how much ??!!

Ofcourse its genuine. Make me an offer, PM

Its just soo cool to have TT though
Old 24 October 2011, 01:42 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Kas Spec C;10297459]

No offence but am sure you know just how many are not !!

make me an offer I cant refuse and will take it from there !! you got a newage harness for it ??
Old 24 October 2011, 02:22 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

[quote=jono300;10297474]
Originally Posted by Kas Spec C

No offence but am sure you know just how many are not !!

make me an offer I cant refuse and will take it from there !! you got a newage harness for it ??
I understand man,

Harness you have to buy separtaly, which is £12 from SumoPower. Will PM you shortly.
Old 06 September 2013, 08:24 PM
DTVHSR
Scooby Regular

There is too much nonsense to do with this warming up and cooling down malarky.

Start the car let it sit for say 10 seconds to allow the revs to drop a tad and you to get your seatbelt on then drive! The longer you sit the longer the engine sits with low Oil pressure increasing wear.
Engine oil will be up to temperature before the coolant, so drive under 2.5k rpm until the engine temp is where is should be then you can start using boost.

When cooling it down a mile or 2 at a reasonable speed in a high gear low revs will cool the engine fairly well. Even Subaru themselves state you should only after High load driving sit for 30 seconds to cool the engine so If you have not used boost in the last 2 minutes just switch it off when you get home.

Besides I'm sure the Impreza turbo has a Thermosyphon set up which continues to cool the turbo after the engine is switched off.

Sitting idling is BAD for the engine! And Idling for more than 30 seconds will just heat soak the engine and make things worse!!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06 September 2013, 09:11 PM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

Anyone would think they are formula one cars with there start up and shut down procedures lol taking it easy beginning and end is all it needs
Old 07 September 2013, 01:38 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DTVHSR
There is too much nonsense to do with this warming up and cooling down malarky.

Start the car let it sit for say 10 seconds to allow the revs to drop a tad and you to get your seatbelt on then drive! The longer you sit the longer the engine sits with low Oil pressure increasing wear.
Engine oil will be up to temperature before the coolant, so drive under 2.5k rpm until the engine temp is where is should be then you can start using boost.

When cooling it down a mile or 2 at a reasonable speed in a high gear low revs will cool the engine fairly well. Even Subaru themselves state you should only after High load driving sit for 30 seconds to cool the engine so If you have not used boost in the last 2 minutes just switch it off when you get home.

Besides I'm sure the Impreza turbo has a Thermosyphon set up which continues to cool the turbo after the engine is switched off.

Sitting idling is BAD for the engine! And Idling for more than 30 seconds will just heat soak the engine and make things worse!!

Just my 2 cents.
This

Due to the natural convection of water, the turbo on a Scoob will continue to be cooled after switch off!

Anyone who thinks idling for a few minutes from cold is a good idea