Notices

2007 STi Fuel Gauge misreading?

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2011, 01:47 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 STi Fuel Gauge misreading?

I've a 2007 STi Hawkeye. It is standard.

When I bought it two weeks ago I topped it up to the brim from what was shown as nearly empty. It took 47 litres. The manual says its a 60 litre tank?

Anyway within 13 miles it had dropped from the brim to the first 1/4 (as in showing I'd used 1/4 of a tank). And no! I hadn't given it some during that time lol :loll:

Anyway it gets to half a tank now on about 100 miles then at about 200 miles its showing on empty although there is no fuel light showing at any point.

I'm thinking that with normal use something is not right here?

Any ideas about what appears to be a misread?

<I have extended Subaru warranty on the car so not fussed if something is broken!>
Old 20 October 2011, 01:53 PM
Megaman
Scooby Regular

My standard 2.0 STI WR1 used to do 220 to a tank on long runs or 160 to a tank in stop start rush hour. Thirsty cars mate, better get some shares in Shell
Old 20 October 2011, 01:54 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King Eric
I've a 2007 STi Hawkeye. It is standard.

When I bought it two weeks ago I topped it up to the brim from what was shown as nearly empty. It took 47 litres. The manual says its a 60 litre tank?

Anyway within 13 miles it had dropped from the brim to the first 1/4 (as in showing I'd used 1/4 of a tank). And no! I hadn't given it some during that time lol :loll:

Anyway it gets to half a tank now on about 100 miles then at about 200 miles its showing on empty although there is no fuel light showing at any point.

I'm thinking that with normal use something is not right here?

Any ideas about what appears to be a misread?

<I have extended Subaru warranty on the car so not fussed if something is broken!>
Hiya mate,

I have the same car and it does exactly the same. about 200 miles to a tank is about right mixed driving..

I meant to say the light will come on and you usually get an extra 25 miles or so (however i wouldnt recommened that due to fuel surge and risk of sucking the dregs etc..)

HTH

Last edited by T5BNC; 20 October 2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: i meant to add the last bit..
Old 20 October 2011, 02:01 PM
DantheMan2605
Scooby Regular

I never run below 1/4 tank in my stock 06 sti. Normally get about 150-160 miles to that point. And since owning it i dont think ive never had a tank where ive not used turbo or shown some silly littlle boy racer in his fiesta etc... What he really needs to work his **** off for and buy!
Old 20 October 2011, 08:11 PM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

Sounds about normal, they are thirsty and run VERY rich as standard which doesn't help.
Old 20 October 2011, 08:20 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Yep, sounds like mine too.
Old 20 October 2011, 08:23 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Thanks boys No issue with the fuel usage/mpg (have had a re-mapped scoob before as well as 400bhp Cosworths so Shell know me very well already). What I can't fathom is that huge initial drop of the needle to 3/4 after being filled to the brim after only 12/13 miles?

Do they see better MPG after a remap given they run so rich? Best get to see Duncan @ Race Dynamix again then

Trending Topics

Old 21 October 2011, 09:52 AM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Thanks boys No issue with the fuel usage/mpg (have had a re-mapped scoob before as well as 400bhp Cosworths so Shell know me very well already). What I can't fathom is that huge initial drop of the needle to 3/4 after being filled to the brim after only 12/13 miles?

Do they see better MPG after a remap given they run so rich? Best get to see Duncan @ Race Dynamix again then
I know what you mean it must be down to the shape of the fuel tank! to be honest i would rather it the other way around. as cornering hard with just over 1/4 of a tank creates major fuel surge.. mine was mapped by Duncan and he does lean the mix out some and the car goes really well after. we recon BHP is up to 330 from 276 and the fuel economy is about the same so an extra 54 BHP for the same MPG bargain
Old 21 October 2011, 10:33 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

What I can't fathom is that huge initial drop of the needle to 3/4 after being filled to the brim after only 12/13 miles?
Maybe if it only took 47 litres it wasn't what Subaru actually consider 'full', hence the quick drop to a quarter? It would be interesting to know if there was actually 13 litres in it when you went to fill up?

Light came on again this morning at 214, that seems to be the average for mine at the moment.