Very Strange Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2011, 04:25 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Strange Starting Problem

Hello all,

My 97 UK Turbo wagon has a very weird starting problem.

When the key is turned you can hear the starter solenoid engage but the starter will not turn.

Simple I thought, change the starter motor, as hitting it while the key is held in the start position would make it turn over and fire up.

However I have replaced the starter motor with a brand new one and the problem still remains.

Hitting the new starter motor does not make it turn over as it did with the old one???????

I have changed the earth lead that comes directly from the battery, which goes right next to the starter and also to just above the passenger front headlight. I have also changed the positive power lead from the battery to the top of the starter motor.

I have also today fitted a brand new battery. Still the same problem.

This happens when the car is hot or cold, makes no difference if the car has been driven 2 miles or 200 miles.

There is a TOAD Ai606 alarm and immobiliser fitted. Could this cause this type of problem? I would have thought if the immobiliser was at fault you probably would get nothing, but of course you can hear the starter solenoid every time the key is turned so I am ruling out the immobiliser.

Sometimes it will turn over and fire up with no problems. Other times you can try and try and just hear the solenoid engaging.

Leave it for 10 mins, come back and try again and it will start right away.

So it is a bit of a weird one.

Just to summarize then.

1. New starter fitted, hitting old starter with the key held in the start position would make it turn over and fire up. Hitting new starter makes no difference whatsoever.
  2. Battery replaced for brand new 510 AMP battery.
  3. Main earth cable from battery and also positive battery feed to starter changed.
  4. Engine temp makes no difference.
  5. When it turns over it fires up right away, so doubtful of any sensor problem such as crank or temp sensor.
Anyone get any clues to this?

Cheers
Old 10 October 2011, 04:52 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Just another thought.

Does as 1997 UK Turbo have a factory immobiliser fitted?

My key is not a genuine Subaru one but it seems to have a transponder in it.
Old 10 October 2011, 06:54 PM
Scoobyno1
Scooby Regular

A few years ago I had a Kia sedona to which I had a cat 1 alarm fitted. Ever since it was fitted it had starting problems, exactly as you describe. After a lot of investigation work on my side, I realised that on the starter you a a single wire on its own. This is the wire that throws the starter ring gear into position and then turns it. The wire that is used to imobilise the car as part of the alarm was this one, so it would stop the starter from working. It was this wire at fault so I rewired a new one onto the ignition barrel and I never had another problem with starting.

I even tried a new starter like you and the aa helped me by giving me a piece of wire with a connector and every time it wouldn't start, just clicking, I would leave the ignition on position 2, connect the wire to the start, then touch the other end to the positive terminal on the battery and it started every time. This illiminated the starter at being at fault.

Try my wire trick and if it starts then this is your problem. The problem is that too high a resistance is created on the wire because it had been tapped into for the immobiliser, therefore not sending enough current to turn the starter motor over.

Hope this helps.
Old 10 October 2011, 09:24 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Thats very interesting, thanks for taking the time to post that.

I have been doing further reading and if the above does not solve it then it maybe something to do with the ignition barrel itself.

I will get a piece of wire and try your suggestions.

Thanks again
Old 10 October 2011, 10:53 PM
giz1978
Scooby Regular

It sounds like a earthing problem to me and I have know headgasket leaking coolant to stop the engine turning over as you can not compress water??
Old 11 October 2011, 01:08 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by giz1978
It sounds like a earthing problem to me and I have know headgasket leaking coolant to stop the engine turning over as you can not compress water??
No, you cant compress water.

But if it was the headgasket then it wouldnt work at all.

As above, the earth lead has been changed, so its not that.

I feel it is to do with the wire coming from the ignition barrel as stated by Scoobyno1 above.

If its not that then it may well be the ignition barrel itself.
Old 11 October 2011, 09:42 AM
giz1978
Scooby Regular

to test just use a wire from the pos of the battery to switch the starter.
Old 28 October 2011, 10:05 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyno1
A few years ago I had a Kia sedona to which I had a cat 1 alarm fitted. Ever since it was fitted it had starting problems, exactly as you describe. After a lot of investigation work on my side, I realised that on the starter you a a single wire on its own. This is the wire that throws the starter ring gear into position and then turns it. The wire that is used to imobilise the car as part of the alarm was this one, so it would stop the starter from working. It was this wire at fault so I rewired a new one onto the ignition barrel and I never had another problem with starting.

I even tried a new starter like you and the aa helped me by giving me a piece of wire with a connector and every time it wouldn't start, just clicking, I would leave the ignition on position 2, connect the wire to the start, then touch the other end to the positive terminal on the battery and it started every time. This illiminated the starter at being at fault.

Try my wire trick and if it starts then this is your problem. The problem is that too high a resistance is created on the wire because it had been tapped into for the immobiliser, therefore not sending enough current to turn the starter motor over.

Hope this helps.
Absolutely bang on with whats causing the problem.

The immobiliser wires are way to thin to carry enough current to the starter.

Spliced in a thicker wire, all soldered in place and it starts first time everytime.

Nice one
Old 30 October 2011, 05:58 PM
Scoobyno1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DoZZa
Absolutely bang on with whats causing the problem.

The immobiliser wires are way to thin to carry enough current to the starter.

Spliced in a thicker wire, all soldered in place and it starts first time everytime.

Nice one
Hi mate,

Glad you got it sorted and glad that I could be of help.