big problems, help needed asap

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2011, 03:53 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big problems, help needed asap

hi
i have a v3 sti, i have had it 4 yrs now, and never missed a beat done a few mods, fmic, hks air filter, urated fuel pump and cat back exhaust, then a few months ago went a bit mad again and fitted, hks down pipe, hks EVC-S boost controller and 330mm k-sport brakes all round, white line adjustable anti rollbars with drop links and fitted tein springs on brand new kyb shocks.

Now the car was fine untill i fitted the boost controller as i cant set it up, but its running at 19.8 psi and holds about 12, and now since friday my CEL comes on intermitedly and the car is running like a bag of bolts, done ecu check and came back with CODE 11,23,24 then done a ecu reset and car was fine for a few miles, then it plays up again.

all i have done so far to try and fix this is borrowed my mates crankshaft sens
but its still the same.

could it be:
ecu is not set up for engine mods
MAF
idle speed valve

big time help needed, cheers matthew
Old 08 October 2011, 05:53 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

thanks
Old 08 October 2011, 06:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hang on mate: you give it 2 hours and expect a host of replies? That's NOT how it works. The people with knowledge on here aren't sat doing nowt awaiting the next question, you know?

Anyway, have you had the map looked at?

You have listed a whole host of engine mods, any one of which can upset the ecu. Most especially, FMIC, Cat back, HKS filter, (Do you mean an induction kit? They kill the MAF, which could be your problem).

You really need to get the map checked after every engine mod.

Scoob engines do not like changes that affect the fuelling. They go bang if you get it really wrong
Old 08 October 2011, 08:14 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

cheers mate yeh it is an induction kit HKS high flow green filter, im leening more to say its cuz the ecu aint set up for the mods my self, so ill be investing in a new ecu after crimbo and a MAF by the sounds of it, which untill then the cars off the road, just thought someone might have had the same prob as me, it makes sence with the ECU theory to me

cheers fella
Old 08 October 2011, 08:28 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

So let me get this right, you've decatted it, induction kitted it, front mount kitted it amongst other things and you didn't think to explore the ecu side of things first? Its a wonder it isn't in bits at the side of the road, bit more research before doing things may help next time!!!

Until then I would get it mapped otherwise you ain't gonna have a car to worry about.
Old 08 October 2011, 08:30 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

new ecu and turbo id better order my self a 20g to keep up lol
Old 08 October 2011, 10:33 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxsti280
So let me get this right, you've decatted it, induction kitted it, front mount kitted it amongst other things and you didn't think to explore the ecu side of things first? Its a wonder it isn't in bits at the side of the road, bit more research before doing things may help next time!!!

Until then I would get it mapped otherwise you ain't gonna have a car to worry about.
on some forums/threads ive seen cars ( well read ) with bigger injectors and turbos along with what i have done running on std ecu's, reliability and for how long i dont really know, also me and a friend have just fully rebuilt an sti engine that has let go twice (bottom end gone) with the only mod being equal exhaust manifold, ecu's are very benifitial at this stage and i agree with you but i didnt plan on going this far with mods
Old 08 October 2011, 10:37 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

if you dont get it mapped....it will go pop!
Old 08 October 2011, 10:43 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

that's the plan
Old 09 October 2011, 12:05 AM
amego
Scooby Regular

You will rebuild jdm sti engines all day long when the owner runs it on 95 Ron With out a map
Old 09 October 2011, 12:26 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

I'll let you have this snippet.
You can't change injectors without remapping.
Fuel injectors operate by pulsing. Fuel flow is controlled by the ECU, in the form of injector duty relative to sensor input and pre set mapping.
If you change the OE injectors for those of a different flow rate, the car will usually run very very rich until you fix it by tuning.
Your V3 ECU can't be remapped as such. You need either an ESL set up or a plug and play such as Apexi or Simtek.
Your engine will be a country mile from where it should be tuning wise. If I were you, I'd back the boost off to actuator pressure, and just poodle about quietly until you've had it sorted. Or book your engine build.
Your call!
Old 09 October 2011, 11:51 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

the above is the truth dude if i was you id put your cra back to standard and then save for an ecu
Old 09 October 2011, 10:26 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your profile said where you were instead of some mumbo jumbo I might know if it was worth inviting you to call by for a careful inspection and some free advice after actually looking at what may be wrong.
Old 09 October 2011, 11:07 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
If your profile said where you were instead of some mumbo jumbo I might know if it was worth inviting you to call by for a careful inspection and some free advice after actually looking at what may be wrong.
I live In west Wales, so coming to you would not be an option!!( due to car off road) But would you know how to set a HKS EVC-S boost con so I could run my car on STD boost for an STI, it's the only controller I've had that works using percentages not psi values as such bit of a head scratched for me this is
Old 10 October 2011, 10:23 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no knowledge of your HKS EVC-S boost con I am sure it will take only a minute to work out in the flesh but I will seek out the instructions for you.