Notices

What engine mods next?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2011, 12:48 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine mods next?

Wondering what next to do to my 05 WRX PPP, it is currently dyno'd at 259bhp with the following engine mods..PPP, Prodrive down pipe, Cosworth Timing belt, uprated Billet Guide, HRC 255lph Fuel Pump, Pro-R Air filter, Silicon hoses, STi Intercooler, Afterburner S/S center section.

Bought it with these mods already done, believe the previous owner was considering a TD05 and a remap. Should this be the logical next step, how much and what gains could I expect?
Old 07 October 2011, 01:02 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at your brakes next, the standard items are less than sufficient.

Tony
Old 07 October 2011, 01:10 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Look at your brakes next, the standard items are less than sufficient.

Tony
The mods above were only engine / performance, I have Prodrive/Alcon 330mm front brakes with goodridge lines!

Also got front strut brace, powerflex F/R ARB bushes and whiteline solid drop links.
Old 07 October 2011, 01:46 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

STI up pipe would probably have gotten you another 10-20bhp for the cost of about £30-40 for the part + remap.

I'm running a standard WRX intercooler, injectors and TD04 and made over 280bhp; good power I admit, but the up pipe is the next one without spending big money.
After that, power wise it's VF34/35 or TD05 18G, etc + bigger injectors, ported / tubular headers which should take you into the 300's.

I would also thoroughly recommend a 24mm rear ARB to massively improve handling. Best value for money you can buy - hands down.

That and a whiteline anti lift kit after.
Don't bother with the front bar unless you're doing track days, it doesn't make as much difference - I run F&R and tbh the front really hasn't transformed the car at all in comparison to the rear one.
Neither did a strut brace - the newage chassis is fairly stiff in comparison to the classic.

Also - brake stopper isn't a bad idea if you get pedal vibration when the ABS kicks in.

You mention a Prodrive sports cat and afterburner centre section - if this is then going into a standard WRX exhaust you're still strangling the gas flow - bin it and replace it from the centre back with a Prodrive item or other aftermarket job - will probably net you a few more bhp and sound far better too.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 07 October 2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07 October 2011, 03:32 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Get the map checked to make sure it's running correctly !!
Old 07 October 2011, 10:49 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Get the map checked to make sure it's running correctly !!
Do you think it should be seeing more then? Its still on the PPP map.
Old 07 October 2011, 10:51 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob

You mention a Prodrive sports cat and afterburner centre section - if this is then going into a standard WRX exhaust you're still strangling the gas flow - bin it and replace it from the centre back with a Prodrive item or other aftermarket job - will probably net you a few more bhp and sound far better too.
Have a Prodrive backbox too but am considering a vortex afterburner 3"

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2011, 10:53 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

The Blob WRX PPP runs 265 PS (261 BHP) so It's running fine

http://www.prodrive.com/up/03MY%20WRX%20PPP.pdf

Next step is usually TD05 16G / VF34 / VF35 with supporting mods to 330-340 BHP.

http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/58901.html

Shaun
Old 08 October 2011, 10:20 AM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

My 2005 WRX PPP is running 3" decat Milltek,VF35 STI pinks, decatted up pipe, Walbro 255 fuel pump, K&N panel filter, standard WRX intercooler and mapped by Zen. Ran 312.1 bhp with 299lb ft torque on the rollers.
VF35 can be had cheaply if you buy a previously enjoyed one from the For Sale section.
Old 08 October 2011, 10:45 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

...........that's good for the stock WRX intercooler

Shaun
Old 08 October 2011, 06:10 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
My 2005 WRX PPP is running 3" decat Milltek,VF35 STI pinks, decatted up pipe, Walbro 255 fuel pump, K&N panel filter, standard WRX intercooler and mapped by Zen. Ran 312.1 bhp with 299lb ft torque on the rollers.
VF35 can be had cheaply if you buy a previously enjoyed one from the For Sale section.
Liking those figures. May have to search out pink injectors, bigger turbo and a remap then.
Old 08 October 2011, 08:37 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Along with the anti-lift kit and rear roll bar you should have a geo set up done to make all the wheels point the right way, that will make the most of your handling mods and transform the car, and bin the prodrive map and get someone like dynamix to remap it for you, then you will have a good fast road car and i'd bet he would release a few more horses too.
Old 09 October 2011, 12:21 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wilbo
Wondering what next to do to my 05 WRX PPP, it is currently dyno'd at 259bhp with the following engine mods..PPP, Prodrive down pipe, Cosworth Timing belt, uprated Billet Guide, HRC 255lph Fuel Pump, Pro-R Air filter, Silicon hoses, STi Intercooler, Afterburner S/S center section.

Bought it with these mods already done, believe the previous owner was considering a TD05 and a remap. Should this be the logical next step, how much and what gains could I expect?
I don't see PPP cars making the claimed power. Also remember different rolling roads equals different figures.
Your car still has more to come on existing injectors/turbo with full supporting mods, complete decat, ported headers and matched uppipe.
STi injectors, ported headers, matched uppipe, full decat and you are ready for the next step. Your existing intercooler is not too bad providing you have the STi intercooler. Turbos to consider are VF35, VF34, TD05 16G front entry or TD05 18G or VF43. Be very careful if you are looking at secondhand turbos.
Old 18 November 2011, 07:58 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Started buying the parts ahead of a remap next year. At the moment, thinking of aiming for 290bhp / 300lb and keeping the TD04. So is there anything else I need in addition to the below?

Prodrive sportscat d/p, decat u/p, afterburner centre section, HRC 255lph Fuel Pump, Pro-R Air filter, STi TMIC.
Old 18 November 2011, 08:50 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Better off running a TD05 VF35 / VF34 at 75 % than a TD04 at 110% plus for the figures you want.

The TD04 will be heating the air rather than compressing it efficiently.......might lose a bit low down but not a lot with matched up-pipe and ported headers...

Shaun
Old 19 November 2011, 11:05 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Better off running a TD05 VF35 / VF34 at 75 % than a TD04 at 110% plus for the figures you want.

The TD04 will be heating the air rather than compressing it efficiently.......might lose a bit low down but not a lot with matched up-pipe and ported headers...

Shaun
Like he said.
I sincerely doubt unless you're looking at a hybrid that you'll ever see 300 ft/lb from a TD04.
Mine made 281bhp and a little less torque wise on a Prodrive Sports cat, STI up pipe, Prodrive centre decat, going to 3" catback, WRX intercooler, walbro and green panel filter.

With STI pinks, STI intercooler, VF35 and porter headers added to the mix, it made 328bhp, but lower down it's about the same as it was as the TD04 until you get to about 45-50mph, then it pulls much more strongly than the TD04 did.
Apparently my up pipe has a slight blow though, so I may see another 5-10bhp once I get that resolved and the map tweaked; had the same issue when mapping the TD04 and the car made another 10bhp once Simon had worked his magic.
Old 19 November 2011, 12:05 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Like he said.
I sincerely doubt unless you're looking at a hybrid that you'll ever see 300 ft/lb from a TD04.
Mine made 281bhp and a little less torque wise on a Prodrive Sports cat, STI up pipe, Prodrive centre decat, going to 3" catback, WRX intercooler, walbro and green panel filter.

With STI pinks, STI intercooler, VF35 and porter headers added to the mix, it made 328bhp, but lower down it's about the same as it was as the TD04 until you get to about 45-50mph, then it pulls much more strongly than the TD04 did.
Apparently my up pipe has a slight blow though, so I may see another 5-10bhp once I get that resolved and the map tweaked; had the same issue when mapping the TD04 and the car made another 10bhp once Simon had worked his magic.
Thanks for the response guys. Looks like I may need to add turbo onto the xmas list after all. Does make sense.
Old 19 November 2011, 12:12 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

If you're changing the turbo, you'll be removing the catted up pipe at the same time too.This will improve the turbos spool up
Old 19 November 2011, 12:20 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
If you're changing the turbo, you'll be removing the catted up pipe at the same time too.This will improve the turbos spool up
Got a decat uppipe on the way! Gradually getting it all together, hoping for a remap once winter is done so going to keep my eyes open for a turbo and pink injectors now
Old 19 November 2011, 01:24 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Not to everyone's taste but what I have on my blob is a larger intercooler, 3" straight through decat exhaust, cold air induction kit and obviously a remap. You could look at a bigger turbo if you wanted.
Old 21 November 2011, 06:53 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Not to everyone's taste but what I have on my blob is a larger intercooler, 3" straight through decat exhaust, cold air induction kit and obviously a remap. You could look at a bigger turbo if you wanted.
With a CAIK, you need a cold air feed, but tbh unless you're going for 360+ many would say it's probably a waste of time - the design of the standard airbox is usually acknowledged as being very good and will be more than adequate to get you into the low to mid 300's, probably providing colder air too!

The OP also could look at a bigger Turbo, but get much past 350 ish and you're looking at killing the wrx gearbox, and reliability becomes more of a problem - so then you'd need to think about PPG or STI boxes....and then you are talking ££££'s!

Last edited by MrNoisy; 21 November 2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 21 November 2011, 06:20 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

The OP also could look at a bigger Turbo, but get much past 350 ish and you're looking at killing the wrx gearbox, and reliability becomes more of a problem - so then you'd need to think about PPG or STI boxes....and then you are talking ££££'s!
Thats why I will be limiting any gains to c.300, not ready for new gearbox scenario yet.
Old 22 November 2011, 12:50 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Stick with the OE airbox for what you are doing.
FULLY decatted with ported headers and matched uppipe, 3" open neck downpipe I see these cars making 280 plus bhp on the OE turbo after Ecutek mapping and the best one we had according to the road dyno was 296 bhp.
Without a full decat you will make less than the figures above and I seriously doubt even with a full decat that 300 bhp is likely but you will notice a good difference from what I am suggesting.
This crap about gearboxes breaking ie. 5 speed TY754s especially on New Age cars is grossly overdone. We have lots of these running well over 400 bhp and they do not break unless they are in the hands of some neanderthal or someone has extreme bad luck, possibly on a car previously abused.
Old 23 November 2011, 06:58 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by harvey
Stick with the OE airbox for what you are doing.
FULLY decatted with ported headers and matched uppipe, 3" open neck downpipe I see these cars making 280 plus bhp on the OE turbo after Ecutek mapping and the best one we had according to the road dyno was 296 bhp.
Without a full decat you will make less than the figures above and I seriously doubt even with a full decat that 300 bhp is likely but you will notice a good difference from what I am suggesting.
This crap about gearboxes breaking ie. 5 speed TY754s especially on New Age cars is grossly overdone. We have lots of these running well over 400 bhp and they do not break unless they are in the hands of some neanderthal or someone has extreme bad luck, possibly on a car previously abused.
By that do you mean traffic light grand prix's Harvey?
JGM advised me clutch would eventually need uprating after upping the power past 320-330, but I had a mate who killed his bugeye's gearbox at 360 on an 18G, and didn't fancy chancing it myself! (Given that we all like a bit of corsa humiliation every now and then ).

Simon got 281 out of my TD04 with a Prodrive sports cat, which we both thought were good figures without decay.
Does full decat add further benefit in terms of spool, torque, or just overall power?
Old 24 November 2011, 11:19 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

By that do you mean traffic light grand prix's Harvey?
Yes. that and other jerky, unnecessary application of the right foot, poor use if clutch and hard clonky gear shifts at almost every opportunity.
Also note a paddle clutch will shorten the life of any gearbox.
I have run the TY754 box in three of my cars, all above 400 bhp, one above 500 bhp and all have done numerous drag starts at Elvington or lots of flat out laps at Croft blowing Ferrari, Porsche and other exotica into the weeds. Only issues I have had have been with the viscuous centre diff. However, with the TY752 box this can break quite easily, possibly because the casing is not rigid enough.
Two of the above 3 cars now have 6 speeds, one being with the latest wide ratios.

I agree with Simon. My experience is that on 5 speed cars the standard clutch will show tendancies to slip because of the increrased torque when you get to somewhere in the order of 320-330 bhp. This often occurs during mapping on fairly lightly modded cars with TD05 16G, VF24, VF28 etc. On the 6 speed box it is obviously far more robust, the clutch is bigger diameter (240mm as opposed to 230 or 225 diameter) and slip there because of torque as opposed to wear is not evident until we are beyond 350 bhp but remember it is torque not the bhp that causes the slip.

Simon got 281 out of my TD04 with a Prodrive sports cat, which we both thought were good figures without decay.
Does full decat add further benefit in terms of spool, torque, or just overall power?
Very good figure if you still have a sports cat in there and great potential when you remove it and remap.
What have you done with your headers and uppipe?

BHP = torque x RPM/5252.
Generally, depending on the effect the modification has on the RPM area where torque is produced, any increase in torque results in an increase in bhp. Depsite glossy advertising claiming 8 or 10 bhp is the cost of a sports cat. I have not found one yet that did not cost 12 bhp and generally they are 15-22 bhp in my experience but you need the car remapped after you remove the CAT.

Last edited by harvey; 24 November 2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 25 November 2011, 11:41 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Yes. that and other jerky, unnecessary application of the right foot, poor use if clutch and hard clonky gear shifts at almost every opportunity.
Also note a paddle clutch will shorten the life of any gearbox.
I have run the TY754 box in three of my cars, all above 400 bhp, one above 500 bhp and all have done numerous drag starts at Elvington or lots of flat out laps at Croft blowing Ferrari, Porsche and other exotica into the weeds. Only issues I have had have been with the viscuous centre diff. However, with the TY752 box this can break quite easily, possibly because the casing is not rigid enough.
Two of the above 3 cars now have 6 speeds, one being with the latest wide ratios.

I agree with Simon. My experience is that on 5 speed cars the standard clutch will show tendancies to slip because of the increrased torque when you get to somewhere in the order of 320-330 bhp. This often occurs during mapping on fairly lightly modded cars with TD05 16G, VF24, VF28 etc. On the 6 speed box it is obviously far more robust, the clutch is bigger diameter (240mm as opposed to 230 or 225 diameter) and slip there because of torque as opposed to wear is not evident until we are beyond 350 bhp but remember it is torque not the bhp that causes the slip.
What clutch would you recommend on a newage 5 speed?
I've been told the Exedy pink clutches should be good enough for early to mid 300's. Mine seems ok at the moment but I haven't driven the car an enormous amount yet since the last upgrade.

Originally Posted by bugeye_scoob
Very good figure if you still have a sports cat in there and great potential when you remove it and remap.
What have you done with your headers and uppipe?
At the time, that was on a standard STI up pipe and standard WRX headers, Prodrive sports cat and decat centre, into 3" back exhaust and backbox, a green panel filter, and a walbro.

I've been tempted to remove the sports cat but have retained it for MOT purposes (can't be doing with the hassle of finding a friendly MOT centre or swapping it over every year).

Just had a ported VF35 and headers fitted, with an STI intercooler and injectors and Simon got 328bhp out of it, but it looks like my up pipe is blowing a little, so need to diagnose that over the weekend; may be another 5-10 to come

Last edited by MrNoisy; 25 November 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 25 November 2011, 11:47 AM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

What clutch would you recommend on a newage 5 speed?
I've been told the Exedy pink clutches should be good enough for early to mid 300's. Mine seems ok at the moment but I haven't driven the car an enormous amount yet since the last upgrade.

At the time, that was on a standard STI up pipe and standard WRX headers, Prodrive sports cat and decat centre, into 3" back exhaust and backbox, a green panel filter, and a walbro.

I've been tempted to remove the sports cat but have retained it for MOT purposes (can't be doing with the hassle of finding a friendly MOT centre or swapping it over every year).

Just had a ported VF35 and headers fitted, with an STI intercooler and injectors and Simon got 328bhp out of it, but it looks like my up pipe is blowing a little, so need to diagnose that over the weekend; may be another 5-10 to come
Your plans sound exactly the route I will be going down with my 2005 WRX, and similar figures that I am looking for too. Just not sure whether to bite the bullet and go for the VF34/35 at the same time as everything else or do it in 2 stages (i.e supporting mods then remap to 280ish, then later change the turbo). Would also prefer to retain the sportscat.
Old 25 November 2011, 11:52 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Your plans sound exactly the route I will be going down with my 2005 WRX, and similar figures that I am looking for too. Just not sure whether to bite the bullet and go for the VF34/35 at the same time as everything else or do it in 2 stages (i.e supporting mods then remap to 280ish, then later change the turbo). Would also prefer to retain the sportscat.
I'd advise you to just buy everything and then get it fitted in one mate - it's far cheaper financially as you only have to pay for the one map.
I admit I was tempted to go for an 18g over a VF35 and sometimes wonder if I should have done....still tempted to switch, but we'll see....

At the risk of being flamed, I know many people sing the praises of the 34 over the 35 in terms of build quality, performance etc, but I couldn't justify the extra £100-150 I'd probably have been looking at for the potentially small difference in performance I felt it might have made, hence I went for a '35. Managed to pick up a set of pinks and the turbo for £350 all in.
Old 25 November 2011, 12:43 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

I'd advise you to just buy everything and then get it fitted in one mate - it's far cheaper financially as you only have to pay for the one map.
I admit I was tempted to go for an 18g over a VF35 and sometimes wonder if I should have done....still tempted to switch, but we'll see....

At the risk of being flamed, I know many people sing the praises of the 34 over the 35 in terms of build quality, performance etc, but I couldn't justify the extra £100-150 I'd probably have been looking at for the potentially small difference in performance I felt it might have made, hence I went for a '35. Managed to pick up a set of pinks and the turbo for £350 all in.
That sounds a good price, will be keeping my eye out from now. Just noticed you are in Berks too, I am near Reading, would be good to meet up, wouldnt mind a passenger ride to see what those figures are like

Last edited by wilbo; 25 November 2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 27 November 2011, 09:03 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

That sounds a good price, will be keeping my eye out from now. Just noticed you are in Berks too, I am near Reading, would be good to meet up, wouldnt mind a passenger ride to see what those figures are like
Hey mate,

I'm near Bracknell, go to the local Berks scoobs meets (and also sometimes Jap meet on the A33).
Up pipe has a slight blow at the moment but once I get that fixed (hopefully will sort it this afternoon), yeah no probs can meet up and do a passenger ride

Quick Reply: What engine mods next?