Notices

JDM Identification

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2011, 02:31 PM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Identification

I'm looking at a couple of JDM STI to buy soon. I'm looking at the 2003 model with twinscroll turbo and dccd. I can spot the switch for the dccd but I want to make sure that I'm looking at the right car. I previously had a thread about the paperwork and I wanted to know what codes I should be looking for and trying to match if any.

Are the vin plates in the same position as on UK models (I have one of these) and do I need to try and match it to an engine number?

What is the code? I've tried to find out from some websites and it makes my head hurt. Can anyone help?

Aside from the import paperwork and these numbers are there any other specific JDM inspections to carry out?

I'm going to be traveling a long way and I want to make sure I'm only doing the journey once.

Much appreciated.
Old 04 October 2011, 03:35 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

The V5 normally identifies if a car has been imported.
Old 04 October 2011, 04:29 PM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

thanks, do I need to match engine/chassis numbers? are these in the same places as a uk?
Old 04 October 2011, 04:36 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

I'd recommend an inspection by the likes of DEKRA (google them, they do the AA/RAC inspections but are cheaper going direct, plus the AA/RAC won't inspect an import). I used these when I bought my MY00 STi, car was only 40 miles away so not too far to travel, was more for peace of mind.
Old 05 October 2011, 07:27 AM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

I'll look into it. Thanks. Any more visual checks that I can conduct myself?

As far as JDM Sti's go, did it go bug eye and then blob with dccd, twin scroll or was there a blob inbetween without those features?

Thx
Old 05 October 2011, 07:34 AM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

Bristol 98: Dekra quote at £229. Ouch. What price peace of mind eh? alternatives?

Last edited by Scooby Classic; 05 October 2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05 October 2011, 08:32 AM
Geordie_Aaron
Scooby Regular

£229 could spot a lemon and save you the posibility of buying the car for argument sake £6k + £229 only to have the car a week and something go bang costing in excess of a grand.... worst case scenario of course.. i always get checks done on a car if i spend over 2k

Trending Topics

Old 05 October 2011, 08:40 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Scooby Classic
As far as JDM Sti's go, did it go bug eye and then blob with dccd, twin scroll or was there a blob inbetween without those features?

Thx
If you count the standard cars you could buy from japan (excluding limited editions) then there were 4 cars available to buy.
1st being the Spec C 16 inch motorsport version, the 2nd being the Spec C 17 inch version (had more goodies like engine oil cooler and a-dccd over the 16 inch version with the justy interior etc), then there was the GL which was a fully loaded STI with all the goodies, A-DCCD etc, then there was the KL which didnt have all the goodies, bit of a poverty spec car, no A-DCCD etc, so keep away from that one, harder to sell on.

The VIN number should also be shorter than that of a UK car (it is on my spec c), the dials are red and the stalks are the other way around to a UK car, plus you get a rear wiper

Tony
Old 05 October 2011, 10:26 AM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geordie_Aaron
£229 could spot a lemon and save you the posibility of buying the car for argument sake £6k + £229 only to have the car a week and something go bang costing in excess of a grand.... worst case scenario of course.. i always get checks done on a car if i spend over 2k
Makes financial sense of course. The AA do a basic check for about £150 and the things that aren't included are things I could check myself:

Aircon
Exterior condition etc..

Anyone used them or recommend the DEKRA guys?

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
If you count the standard cars you could buy from japan (excluding limited editions) then there were 4 cars available to buy.
1st being the Spec C 16 inch motorsport version, the 2nd being the Spec C 17 inch version (had more goodies like engine oil cooler and a-dccd over the 16 inch version with the justy interior etc), then there was the GL which was a fully loaded STI with all the goodies, A-DCCD etc, then there was the KL which didnt have all the goodies, bit of a poverty spec car, no A-DCCD etc, so keep away from that one, harder to sell on.

The VIN number should also be shorter than that of a UK car (it is on my spec c), the dials are red and the stalks are the other way around to a UK car, plus you get a rear wiper

Tony
Thanks Tony. Dials and stalks are easy checks for me. Hugely excited about the possibility of a rear wiper, it will remind me of the vectra days. Will the GL or KL appear on the V5? No A-DCCD it must be a KL?

Cheers
Old 05 October 2011, 11:08 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Bleeding hell! I only paid £150 (April 2010) for an inspection on a MY00 STi wagon.......Thats some inflation.
Old 05 October 2011, 11:48 AM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bristol98
Bleeding hell! I only paid £150 (April 2010) for an inspection on a MY00 STi wagon.......Thats some inflation.
That was the sort of money I had in mind. Still, £80 more is not the end of the world, just puts a dent in my track tyre budget. I think I will go and have a look first and then if I like it order the inspection.

Was yours a full or basic inspection?

Thx
Old 05 October 2011, 02:46 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Full inspection (minus getting it up on ramps). Checked the whole caboodle over. Went as far as mentioning a small split in one inner sidewall and said the sill needed replacing cos there was some scratches on there! Deffo worth the money...

Last edited by Bristol98; 05 October 2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: I'm a divvy!!
Old 05 October 2011, 02:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Scooby Classic
Thanks Tony. Dials and stalks are easy checks for me. Hugely excited about the possibility of a rear wiper, it will remind me of the vectra days. Will the GL or KL appear on the V5? No A-DCCD it must be a KL?

Cheers
Yup if it doesnt have the A-DCCD then its a KL, a couple floating about but most that were imported were GL's
It shouldnt say anything except STI on the V5C though.

Tony
Old 07 October 2011, 07:48 AM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, all in place from my end. I'm looking forward to going to see it soon. All the help is appreciated.
Old 09 October 2011, 05:43 PM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

'Phoned DEKRA and got a quotation of 150 quid for the comprehensive inspection. Strange that they would make the online quotation much higher, it is usually the other way around. Much more palatable.