Notices

Help! Infuriating problem, Bugeye (often) not starting...

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2011, 06:20 AM
BigBadDavid
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Infuriating problem, Bugeye (often) not starting...

Before I go and spank £££ on hours of labour at the garage on Friday, I'd like to know if any of you fine people have had a similar problem to that which is inflicting my '01 Bugeye WRX... It's an intermittent fault, hence I'd prefer not to leave it in the hands of the garage all day just to be told they can't find anything wrong or replicate the problem. I've posted the same fault on this forum in the past, but afterwards it more or less went away so I left it. It's recently got worse though.

Battery fully charged. Car unlocks using immobiliser fob every time. Ignition goes on as normal, clutch depressed, turn key, either the car starts first time or nothing happens (starter doesn't turn, just silence). It's as though the immobiliser has kicked back in (it's a factory CAT1), but the problem can happen even if I'm quick, before the point it re-immobilises. I can be turning the key again and again for a minute or up to fifteen minutes until eventually it suddenly decides to start. The thing is, given enough persistence, it will eventually always start but there's no obvious pattern to it. And when you've finished a night shift you don't want to waiting around fifteen minutes just to get the car going.

I gather the early bugeyes had a ropey, unshielded Sigma immobiliser that was prone to interference. Anyone had these symptoms with this type of immobiliser?

Any other ideas? Suggestions gratefully received.
Old 20 September 2011, 08:34 AM
spender(again)
Scooby Regular

Does it happen wherever you park the car or is it just in the one place (work car park)?
Old 20 September 2011, 08:43 AM
fingerscooby
Scooby Regular

Hi mate I had similar problem when I parked the car in sainsburys the immobiliser locked I eventually got it started after 2 hours but then bit the bullet and got a shield fitted by Subaru in hailey, Witney Oxfordshire . Never had problems since. Cost around £ 150
Old 20 September 2011, 04:00 PM
BigBadDavid
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by spender(again)
Does it happen wherever you park the car or is it just in the one place (work car park)?
It's all over the place to be honest. But it's not as bad at my house, which is on the edge of town (away from interference perhaps??).
Old 20 September 2011, 04:06 PM
BigBadDavid
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by fingerscooby
Hi mate I had similar problem when I parked the car in sainsburys the immobiliser locked I eventually got it started after 2 hours but then bit the bullet and got a shield fitted by Subaru in hailey, Witney Oxfordshire . Never had problems since. Cost around £ 150
I might suggest this when I get to the garage then...tekkers.

Did you ever have any problems unlocking it or with the alarm disengaging? Other posts on the interweb say that some people had issues with unlocking their cars (which makes sense to me it there's interference on the immobiliser), but I've never had any problems like this. The fact it always locks and unlocks wherever I am is the only thing making me think it's not shielding on the immobiliser.

Cheers.
Old 20 September 2011, 04:08 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Sounds like sticky brushes in the starter motor.

Probably is gonna need a nee one. If its locking and unlocking with the remote then its not an alarm sheilding problem