Notices

what to do, what to do?! sti engine conversion..

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2011, 04:42 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do, what to do?! sti engine conversion..

Hi,

okay so i have decided i really cant be assed with bolting on loads of expensive parts on my turbo 2000, when i could just put an sti engine in. and please any turbo 2000 tuned owners, dont slate me! lol

i have numerous questions!! lol

1. What engine can go into my turbo 2000 its a 98 model with 2 pot brakes, also i know i will need my brakes and suspension sorted!

2. if said engine will go in, what will i need to do about the loom, can i keep it?

3. if i said me and some technically minded mates are going to fit the engine, on a scale from 1-10 how complex is it to fit a STi lump into a turbo 2000? is it literally an "Unbolt and swap over"?

4. as far as i know, i have the dreaded "Unmappable" ecu in my car, if the engine i put in the car comes with the ecu or i can put a one in the car will it be mappable, and if so imo "I will save on that area on costs to!"

5. Also would my turbo 2k gearbox bolt onto the sti lump, also i am planning on a better stronger gearbox in the future but for the time being the 2k box will most likely be adaquate!

I just was thinking you see, i have what 212hp atm turbo 2k lump, why not look out for a nice sti lump, hopefully get a bargain nice one! (as my friend bought an N reg sti import complete car for £1000 few weeks back and the engine was spot on!!, also it pisses all over mine ) buy and STi lump which will be 270-285 dependent on model and fit that instead, imho i will have a much better base to start modding upto 300-340hp! as i will already have a complete exhaust system, induction kit etc, would just need a few more parts and a remap and were all good!

any guidance on a STi Lump to a turbo 2000 swap would be great! just thinking if i have left any question out, i probably have but im sure some expert will most likely point it out! haha

Thanks!
Old 19 September 2011, 04:48 PM
Paul Hutch
Scooby Regular

sell your turbo 2000 and buy an sti you can get one for like £2500
Old 19 September 2011, 04:52 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

just spent loads on the bodywork and its mint, no rust arches are mint, not even a ding on the doors or wings or anywhere! thats why im gunna do this! cars body is very very clean..

also supposingly the car drives great my mechanic told me, and it is really nice and tight! just needs more umph! lol
Old 19 September 2011, 05:32 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Be far simpler and cheaper to upgrade ecu, turbo and injectors on your car
Old 19 September 2011, 05:41 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Your gonna need an after market ecu. You could use any sti bottom end with your top end. Still the mappings the issue. Changing all the wiring etc for a newer model just isnt feasable. So really as above get an ecu and have yours mapped with the de-cat you fitting. Should see 270ish hp
Old 19 September 2011, 06:00 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

why would i need to change wiring if i got a sti lump from a late 98 or 99? just need to change ecu wouldnt i? also i dont really like the turbo 2000 engine lol i really have my heart set on the car having an STi one tbh!
Old 19 September 2011, 06:02 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

or maybe a better question what would be recommened to swapto my turbo 2k like the heads and/or bottom end off an sti etc?
Old 19 September 2011, 06:05 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

No you cant just put another ecu. Thats exactly the point. The different year cars have different plugs on the ecu's. Even same year cars i.e a 98sti ecu will not work on your uk version car
Old 19 September 2011, 06:11 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

It can be done. But its not just an engine swap. You need a complete sti and then swap everything. Complete engine including turbo,injectors etc etc. Wiring loom. Ecu. Then with all that done the jap cars often dont like uk fuel so to be 100% safe it would need mapping so your still gonna need an aftermarket ecu like simtek.apexi
Old 19 September 2011, 06:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My '98 UK car was modded to around the 300bhp mark, using an aftermarket LINK ecu, a full decat, induction kit and a few tweaks, and was plenty fast enough for me at that time, BUT, I HAD already fitted Godspeed Brembos front with his 325mm discs, and STi Brembos rear with the Godspeed conversion kit. I had also sorted the suspension, and fitted WRX 17" wheels to clear the bigger brakes BEFORE touching the engine.

In summer 2009, driving it in France in 40 degree heat, I was being a bit daft on a French autoroute and cooked the engine, with the result that it came home on a flatbed

Since then it has been rebuilt with a 2.5 forged engine, ACL race bearings, bigger turbo, 750cc injectors, FMIC and a decent induction kit, and now runs a safe 400/400, mapped by Bob Rawle.

The car is a sleeper, looks like any old classic, I've even taken off the pink STi badge, although I have recently put a MkII facelift front bumper on. This winter, hopefully, it will get the o/s rear arch done.

Ayway, the upshot of all that is that I love driving it, it's scared one or two "performance cars", and I wouldn't swap it.

Cost? You don't want to know, Impreza tuning is expensive, end of.

The problem with fitting an STi engine into yours is that the loom doesn't match, you will need an STi ecu, and any second hand engine could go bang on you, leading to a BIG bill.

Why not bite the bullet and ask Allan Jeffery about a 2.1 stroker kit? Yiou WILL need an aftermarket ecu, but they can be had off e-bay now.
Old 19 September 2011, 06:23 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

hmm some good advice, itsjust i really am starting not to like the whole "turbo 2000" thing, everytime i hear "STi" and i know i have a turbo 2000, it does my nut in! lol and i think grr i have 212hp and they have 275hp(not 100& certain on STi hp, 280?) it just gets my down lol

so if i upgraded my turbo + injectors, have my full exhaust system, induction, aftermarket ECU + remap id be looking at 300-320HP, and would it be as reliable as an STi of the same year? (that is the other thing i was on about are they as reliable as a turbo 2000 engine at that BHP?)

thanks!
Old 19 September 2011, 06:42 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Sell it and buy a sti, easier and cheaper,don't forget your gearbox may struggle with a sti engine
Old 19 September 2011, 06:45 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

lol! I DONT WANT TO SELLL ITTTT!!! :P

hmmm i might just have to bite my tongue and mod the 2000 engine!
Old 19 September 2011, 06:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

That's what I would do: have it rebuilt, or DIY if you know what you are doing. Fully forged, race bearings, then away you go. Bigger turbo, FMIC, bigger injectors, but you WILL need an aftermaret ecu.

Watch out if you go 2.5, or get too clever with the 2.0, you'll need to budget for a 6-speed box
Old 19 September 2011, 06:57 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

if i was to DIY the forged build myself, what would i need for the engine to be forged? like conrods, pistons, crank, and if im looking for 340bhp, what could i perhaps upgrade inside the engine from say an STi engine to save some money, ive heard something about the crank?

thanks, im just gunna get a rough guide, see what i need to get together!

cheers!
Old 19 September 2011, 10:49 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your engine is as tight as you say and with the mods you have already,just buy a vf turbo and a aftermarket ecu then remap - simple . Goodbye 208 bhp , hello 300+ bhp,with a good slug of torque, which is more than a sti , & a lot less hassle buying a sti and having to strip the loom , etc IMHO.
Keep It below 350 bhp and STD box should be fine . just because you buy an sti engine don't mean it won't go bang . UK engine not as strong, but designed to run on UK fuel,
Old 20 September 2011, 09:42 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Have a look here http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/58668.html It details what you will need to get to STI power levels.
Old 20 September 2011, 11:01 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

i agree with what people said tbh, have made my mind up! it is far simpler and more cost affective for me to buy a turbo + aftermarket ecu, better plugs and a walbhro pump and remap for 300+ hp!

Thanks for all your advice, i dont know what i was thinkin! lol
Old 20 September 2011, 11:11 PM
e110at
Scooby Regular

sorry to thread steal but im kinda in the same boat looking for more power on my 95 wrx, what turbo and ecu would u be running for 330ish?
Old 20 September 2011, 11:29 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

well from what ive heard a td05 should be sufficiant, and a simtek ecu is advisable or you can remap your standard one via ecutek, i cant so i need to buy a simtek, oh and obv the other little bits like a uprated fuel pump and NGK plugs couldnt go a miss! and not forgetting your complete exhaust system and your induction! and then you remap and hopefully you should see your 330, i hope i will too! fingers crossed eh!
Old 20 September 2011, 11:37 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

you could get esl live mapping done on my98 cars now bud. they are going to production with it last time i looked on their facebook page.
Old 21 September 2011, 06:53 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99jdee
well from what ive heard a td05 should be sufficiant, and a simtek ecu is advisable or you can remap your standard one via ecutek, i cant so i need to buy a simtek, oh and obv the other little bits like a uprated fuel pump and NGK plugs couldnt go a miss! and not forgetting your complete exhaust system and your induction! and then you remap and hopefully you should see your 330, i hope i will too! fingers crossed eh!
1995 is a 4 plug ecu and not able to be remapped via ecutek , only MY99 onwards, so the guy is in the same position as you . He can opt for an apexi fc with commander or go ESL daugterboard,or simtek. His turbo in his wrx is good for 300 - 340 bhp , but this depends on state of engine and the supporting mods chosen. 300 bhp makes a nice drivable quick car,and if you strive for the extra 30 - 40 bhp you will need to change your injectors to 440 cc's(yellows). The earlier classic gearboxes are not as strong as the facelift ones ,so aim for 300 bhp unless you are going to change the injectors imho