Notices

Turn a turbo 2000 engine into an STi engine? possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2011, 08:43 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn a turbo 2000 engine into an STi engine? possible?

hey i know that the turbos are different and some of the internals, but i was thinking..

i have a turbo 2000, what parts would i need to replace so that i could plug a standard 275bhp sti ecu into my car and for it to run succesfully, wouldnt i only need a few bits? are the injectors different, manifold, sensors, MAf? i mean what else would i need to swap for this to work, or is it impossible, also i know the engines in the sti are semi forged but besides that.. as some ppl have turbo 2000's running 300bhp... also i have no idea what i would swap so if i said the wrong things to swap dont have a go i am just wondering if its possible and what could i would need to do it.

because perhaps it would be cheap for me to do this if its possible than spend 800+ on ecu and map, then parts so more £'s for 280-300hp?

what about the gearbox and diff in relation to the ecu? would these need to be swapped?

yours confused, J.

Last edited by 99jdee; 09 September 2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: more accurate title description.
Old 09 September 2011, 09:06 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

what year is your car. the ecu will make a difference to how much you are going to have to spend
Old 09 September 2011, 09:22 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

late 98 i think? or 98 lol not 100% sure.. do you get what i mean though why cant i swap the ecu with an sti one change the td04 to a td05 and what else needs changing then hay presto sort of sti engine except crappier block? lol in my head this sounds like it would work! lol ?
Old 09 September 2011, 09:24 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

or like a p1 ecu? and change the turbo 2000 engine to suit? arent they basically the same engines apart from some forged internal differences?
Old 09 September 2011, 10:04 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

all engines are different and will need individually mapped. not just a simple as change the ecu for a jap one and hey presto 280hp. timing, fuelling, afr etc, all need to be adjusted to make sure the engine doesn't lunch itself.

you might need to change the ecu to a stand alone as i think some uk ecus can't be reprogrammed. i can never remember which year ecu that is. someone will come along who know shortly.
Old 09 September 2011, 10:05 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Plus the heads and cams are different.
Old 09 September 2011, 10:07 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget that the heads are also different on the sti engine which will leave you short by 20hp or so mate.
Old 10 September 2011, 04:20 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99jdee
hey i know that the turbos are different and some of the internals, but i was thinking..

i have a turbo 2000, what parts would i need to replace so that i could plug a standard 275bhp sti ecu into my car and for it to run succesfully, wouldnt i only need a few bits? are the injectors different, manifold, sensors, MAf? i mean what else would i need to swap for this to work, or is it impossible, also i know the engines in the sti are semi forged but besides that.. as some ppl have turbo 2000's running 300bhp... also i have no idea what i would swap so if i said the wrong things to swap dont have a go i am just wondering if its possible and what could i would need to do it.

because perhaps it would be cheap for me to do this if its possible than spend 800+ on ecu and map, then parts so more £'s for 280-300hp?

what about the gearbox and diff in relation to the ecu? would these need to be swapped?

yours confused, J.

If your car is a 98MY you will not be able to just plug a sti ecu in and have 275 bhp,as the sti has a vf24 turbo and yours hopefully will have a td04 fitted,which the ecu will fuel for the larger turbo.Also the fuelling,timing and ignition may well be different to your oe setup.
It depends on what you are prepaired to spend ,£800 will see you with a remap & a decat exhaust system if it is a later 98 car,which can be mapped via ecutek.If its not your maybe looking at esl or apexi,either way you may see 270 - 280 bhp,with the turbo being the limiting factor.
As to the uk engines being strong enough ,some people have had over 400 bhp on std uk internals reliably,but they have had to change to a 6 speeder to cope with the power & the torque.
If you are prepaired to buy 2nd hand you can easily achieve 300 bhp by spending less than £1500,which will make a nice driveable car with more mid range grunt(depending on which turbo you choose) than your td04.
One word of advice dont make the mistake i made with my 1st impreza,if you are going to up the power dramatically ,make sure you upgrade your braking and suspension set up afterwards to cope with the extra power.
Old 10 September 2011, 05:19 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

im not being rude or anything but i dont think people get what im saying, your saying that i cant just plug the ecu in, i mean, if i changed the turbo to an STi turbo and most of the bits needed for the ECU(sti) to run succesfully. what im asking is what would i need to change, like people mentioned above, i have 1, the head and the turbo, what else?

i dont mean can i plug and sti ecu into my car and it run like an Sti lol

anyways thanks! J.