Notices

Sti dead!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2011, 03:53 PM
goluckman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sti dead!!!

hi this is my first post so please bare with me.. iv'e had my 52 reg sti for about 6 momths now. about 1 month ago the battery died so had to jump start it and everything seemed fine untill now. iv'e been away for around 3weeks on honeymoon and tried the car today and nothing is happening...key fobs not working so have to use key to enter car, also noticed the imobiliser light is not flashing, nothing lights up when i try starting the car, basically not a thing seems to be working. im no expert on cars like but think its to do with the battery... what happens to the alarm if i need to change the battery will the alarm need a pin entered or something because dont think i have one!! any help is much appreciated

cheers Gav..
Old 03 September 2011, 03:55 PM
goluckman
Scooby Newbie

im also worried if i try to jump start it the alarm will play up.
Old 03 September 2011, 03:57 PM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

If its gone flat a few times it will be better to buy a new battery.they arent that much money and will give you piece of mind
Old 03 September 2011, 04:02 PM
goluckman
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scoobyd00999
If its gone flat a few times it will be better to buy a new battery.they arent that much money and will give you piece of mind
yeah i planned on getting a new battery but what will happen to the alarm will it need resetting or something??
Old 03 September 2011, 04:05 PM
shag
Scooby Regular

mate just take battery off , re-charge it, refit it and have key fob ready when you connect the negative lead last so if it does go off you can reset quickly, doubt the fob will have gone out of sync.
Old 03 September 2011, 04:15 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Scoobys are known for eating batteries for some reason.
Just replace the battery and everything will work fine again, The alarm may go off when you reconnect the battery but the fobs will all work as before.
Old 03 September 2011, 04:17 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonNedly
Just replace the battery and everything will work fine again, The alarm may go off when you reconnect the battery but the fobs will all work as before.
I didn't know scoobs were known for that

I bet it's because it's earthing somewhere wrong.
Old 03 September 2011, 04:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Two thing about the alarm - which is the same for 99% of vehicle alarms, both OEM and aftermarket

One: If the siren sounds, press the unlock on the fob and it'll always turn off (assuming the fob actually works).
Two: if the siren ever does sound and you can't stop it, it'll sound for 30seconds then shut up (unless a door/bonnet is open).

So either way its nothing to worry about.

As for the car battery. After jumping did you charge it? Running the engine for a few hours will NEVER fully charge a battery. It may put in enough charge to last a week or so, but what ends up happening is sulphation, which damages the battery permanentaly. Never let a lead acid battery go below 12.5volts as it WILL damage it and causw a reduction in its overall capacity (or worse - a shorted cell).

Battery charge info here: http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq9.htm#types

Also see this post:https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...34&postcount=6

If you ever have a flat battery or it feels a bit sluggish when starting the engine, ALWAYS use a mains charger to fully charge it. The majority of battery failures are caused by owner ignorance. I've not had a battery die on me since I learnt this myself and bought a decent 5 stage charger and used it at any hint of battery discharge, this has probably saved me a few hundred quid in needlessly replacing damaged batteries over the years. Everything you need to know about car batteries, charging and caring for them is here: http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 September 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03 September 2011, 04:29 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CREWJ
I didn't know scoobs were known for that
I only say that as most newage owners i know have had to replace the battery within 3 years of ownership.
It was also mentioned in Jap Performance in their buyers guide for imprezas that the battery doesn't last.
Old 03 September 2011, 04:30 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I only say that as most newage owners i know have had to replace the battery within 3 years of ownership.
It was also mentioned in Jap Performance in their buyers guide for imprezas that the battery doesn't last.
Oh newage, that's why I haven't had much of an issue then.
Old 03 September 2011, 04:36 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

All scoobs go through abtteries as they dont like feeding an alarm immobiliser without regular runs to keep it charged, whilst it sits in the garage for a couple of weeks, its constantly being discharged by thenalarm and immobiliser
Old 03 September 2011, 05:23 PM
goluckman
Scooby Newbie

cheers guy, it jump started fine so will go buy a new battery, any recomendations on good batteries??
Old 03 September 2011, 05:26 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Varta red top i think their called, unless you want to go the whole hog and buy an oddessey lightweight but your looking at £150 ish for one of them.
Old 03 September 2011, 05:35 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more internet untruth take no notice
the reason most newage owners are replacing their battery is because the cars are 5 plus years old and most batteries start to fail at this age.
also the newages use sigma alarms that were fitted before being supplied to uk dealers, this is what uses the power when the car is being unused.
if the car is unused for a length of time the batteries loose charge because they are still powering the alarm,clock etc.
they should be connected to a trickle charger like motorbikes use .

Last edited by tubbytommy; 03 September 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03 September 2011, 07:16 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

mine is well over 5 years old it bee there since i improted it 5 years ago hell it could even be the original one
Old 04 September 2011, 03:43 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
more internet untruth take no notice
I am only speaking from personal experience. My car was 5 yrs old when i got it and the previous owner had replaced the battery already and i had to within 6 months of owning it. My father-in-law's has got through 3 batteries in 8 years. Then i noticed it mentioned in Japanese Performance so it seemed like a common thing to me. Sorry.

Anyway I haven't had any problems since fitting a Yuasa battery.
If its good enough for the BTCC its good enough for me.
Old 04 September 2011, 03:52 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

had mine 6 years and never replaced the battery . i was told allways drive with the sidelights on even in daylight , it makes the battery easier to charge by the alternator , don't know how true that is but it's worked for me
Old 04 September 2011, 04:18 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by madscoob
had mine 6 years and never replaced the battery . i was told allways drive with the sidelights on even in daylight , it makes the battery easier to charge by the alternator , don't know how true that is but it's worked for me
Nearly, the alternator will only charge when the load is sufficient to switch it on, adding a load ensures that the alternator "kicks in".

Both my Impreza's needed a new battery at 4-1/2 years old. The Japanese "MOT" occurs after three years, and most fail and are shipped abroad. Why make a battery last any longer ?

All IMHO.

dunx
Old 04 September 2011, 05:02 PM
kennedyuk2001
Scooby Newbie

Maybe also check that the alternator is working as should be or your new battery might not last long.
Old 04 September 2011, 11:33 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

most likely the tracker killing the battery,on the early bug/blob stis the tracker dont go into sleep mod for something like a 3 days or something along the lines, most were rectified i believe but some wasnt.

solar panel from maplins works very well if been left

Last edited by maydew; 04 September 2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05 September 2011, 11:26 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above. The Trackstar system was notorious for draining the battery due to it not going "to sleep" My system was replaced as the only cure for the battery problem.

JohnD
Old 05 September 2011, 11:30 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ****
mate just take battery off , re-charge it, refit it and have key fob ready when you connect the negative lead last so if it does go off you can reset quickly, doubt the fob will have gone out of sync.
why would you take it off to re charge it? just do it on the car
Also if its been pancaked a few times it will be knackered, so as mentioned just get a new one, comes fully charged. All you will loose is the radio code
Old 05 September 2011, 07:36 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by madscoob
Would braking no do the job? Radio too
Old 06 September 2011, 07:08 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Would braking no do the job? Radio too
and fuel pump, and injectors, ecu, heater blower, coil packs, boost control solenoid etc etc etc lol