Another oil question!

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2011, 06:51 PM
yammer5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another oil question!

Hi Guys

Sorry to ask an oil question which im sure has been asked a million times before, i did look at the stickies but could only find one that told me every thing i need to know about oil apart from which to use lol was a good thread tho!

Ive got a 01 plate Bugeye Impreza WRX Turbo AWD, im going to do a full service and im just wandering which oil i should use.

The halfords website says 5W-30 A1 Fully Synthetic

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...ed=fullService

I would normally go for Magnatec because its a named brand that ive used before, would this be ok?

Also im going to change the plugs are there any advantages to buying fancy named plugs over the normal ones you get from places like halfords or quality factor etc etc

Cheers

Jay

Last edited by yammer5; 27 August 2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 27 August 2011, 07:33 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Millers CFS 10w 50 is what I use and have used in all my Imprezas. Good stuff and I think Banny sti was selling some at a good price in the for sale section.
Old 28 August 2011, 03:41 PM
yammer5
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply

But now im confused i was kinda hoping all that id have to worry about was the make of the oil but now it seems im gonna have to choose the actual type of oil now.

Does everyone else use 10W 50?
What are the benefits of 10W 50 over 5W 30?

Cheers
Old 28 August 2011, 04:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Spark plugs: Easy, stick with the NGKs, but buy online though or at least not from Halfords, as you don't want to be paying stupidly high RRPs (50% mark up IIRC ).

Halfords does spec the correct oil for your year of car (presuming it is a UK/EU car not a Japan Import). Which is 5w-30. However 5w-40 and 10w-40 are listed as acceptable too (the latter being the cheapest as it is often just semi-synthetic).

Other people will say to use thicker oils. But thats pure personal choice based on what they 'think' they need.

The questions that needs to be answered in relation to what oil and change interval you need is:

How do you drive (be honest ): Short sub-30min journeys? Weekend B-road blaster? Or motorway cruiser? Towing? Track days?

Does the car have any BHP increasing modifictions (proper mods: like remaps, bigger turbos etc)?

Basically put: What Halfords (or OATS...as thats where their data comes from) reccomend is fine for a standard car dirven in normal conditions. 'Normal' meaning the car being typically driven within the confines of UK road/traffic laws, and not doing any excessive amounts of short journeys.

Anything else, think about a better oil or changing it more often. For short journeys, an oil with a low number before the 'W' is better. For hard use an oil with a higher number after the 'W' is better.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 August 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 29 August 2011, 01:03 PM
yammer5
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Ali

My WRX (uk spec with a cat back ninja exhaust and a piper X cone filter) is a weekend car, i take it out when i want to smile, so id probably class myself as a B Road blaster, however i never floor it for more than a few secs at a time, i mostly cruise about listening to the engine and the turbo and then when i see a straight road thats car free i put my foot down and then slow down again, or i get to a set of traffic lights and put the bmw or lexus drivers back in line lol but then chill out again.

I do let my car warm up for about 5-10 mins before i drive it hard and always let her idle before switching her off.

What type of oil do you think would suit her?

Thanks again

Jay
Old 29 August 2011, 02:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'd suggest a 5w-40 or 10w-40 oil then. Which is a bit more tolerant to higher temps found when when booting it when compared to 30 grade oils.

Combined with oil changes every six month, if your not doing it already.

If you want to get paranoid, put in a 5w-50 or 10w-50 or a high quality 5w-40 ester based synthetic (such as Motul 300V or Silkolene pro R/Fuchs Titan Pro S). But these are more expensive and not so readily available down the local motor factor stores.
Old 30 August 2011, 01:20 PM
yammer5
Scooby Regular

Thanks again Ali

I think ive decided to go for :

Motul 300v 5W 40 oil
K&N HP-1008 oil filter
NGK PFR6B Plugs

I think these should hopefully be the right ones for my car.

Thanks for all your help!

Jay
Old 30 August 2011, 01:50 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Sounds about right to me - I used Millers 5w-40 before I went 2.5 sure the motul is as good/better.
Old 01 September 2011, 04:53 PM
yammer5
Scooby Regular

Well managed to get the all the parts and got the service done and all seems to be fine.

I did have a bit of a shock when i got to Demon Tweeks however, id looked on their website and it said that the Motul 300V 5W 40 was £36, i didn't realise that was for only 2 litres! so when the guy said that it would be £73 pounds for enough to do a full service it was a bit of a shock.
Ive no idea why the car oil is sold in 2 litre cans, its not enough to do a full service and is too much to buy for a top up....anyway i umed and arred and looked on the net on my phone for how much i can get it for and found that opie oils sell 4 litres for £58 so i decided to be cheeky and asked if they would price match and they did! so it wasn't so bad after all.
The plugs that were taken out were champion and the oil filter was some nondescript thing, so now its got a K&N oil filter and some NGK's and some Motul oil im hoping things should be as good as they can be

Next job now is to get her remapped, im finding that she has a slight flat spot in the acceleration which im hoping is caused by the previous owner putting a Cat back exhaust and cone air filter on without getting her tuned accordingly. Im just gonna have to save up cos the prices ive been looking at are about £550!

Thanks for all the help guys

Jay