ECU Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2011, 04:35 PM
RSF1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Quick Question

Easy all,
Im guessing its a no unless mods but 330bhp ecu in a standard 97 2000 turbo wagon,what do I need to run ok at that BHP and can I un plug an plug in between the standard an 330 ecu?
For example,tune to handle 330bhp then use my standard ecu for daily runner?
Im guessing,
down pipe all threw turbo back 3" but do I need to run bigger ejectors,clutch,think about things breaking?
Thanks in advance
PS Obviously break calipers and handling tightened up to with proper disks,think il start there any ways.
Old 22 August 2011, 05:01 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

while 330bhp won't do your tranny any good, it won't blow it to bits staright away. But you will need quite alot of mods to get to that figure. bigger turbo, bigger injectors, exhaust system, intercooler upgrade (my research tells me an sti will do), fuel pump, maybe some kind of boost controler and a custom map for the mods you have installed (which will probably mean an aftermarket ECU or can you piggy-back the 97 ECU now?).
Just fitting the parts that theoretically will make 330bhp and then chucking an ECU mapped on someone elses car to make 330bhp will be unlikely to work great. At worst could be dangerouse, very unlikely you will both have exact same mods, the map on it could be very wrung out or very laid back (e.g. if the previouse owner had a bigger spec tuned for very safe, "conservative" power). Further more chucking your standard ECU back in with the given mods would likely end in disaster too!
Some programable ECUs allow multiple maps onboard, that i think would be your best bet so you can have custom maps for both high power and daily runner
Old 22 August 2011, 05:15 PM
RSF1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that reply,
I was pretty much thinking the same,best have a total seperate car..
What bhp can the standard car handle with no mods? 260?

I really have no iea what the deal is with imprezas,I need a tuner who aint in it for the money,which is pretty much what ive ha any other car and they can send me safe mapped ecus to try till I find the one I want or give feedback after rolling rd,not sure I want to take this car that far but was thinking 260 with no harm to engine,do brakes and what not,then just build a seperate weekend car engine up..

Any one who knows about ECUs well or dabbles with any mapping please drop me a pm.
I just cant see me spending well over a k for 300bhp pluss,like you say,id be best off buying a sti or a import already modded or im sure i seen a stanard 330 or deffo a 270 bhp in classic shape..
Old 22 August 2011, 05:42 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

What were the standard turbo 2000 wagons... 210bhp or so? The WRX ones i think are basically the same and made about iirc 235bhp (mine dynoed at 225bhp standard), so i wonder if sticking in a WRX wagon ECU of the same year would be an easy 20bhp boost... mind you run it on V-power only if you do though!! Mine is now at 276bhp but that is with all the mods i mentioned apart from sti intercooler and poor boost control (wont hold peak boost). With just a remap and good fuel i wonder if you could maybe get 240-250 maybe? but you would need an after market ECU and the cost of mapping too. might be more worth while spending an extra couple hundered here and there on few upgrades and then getting it mapped so at least you are getting a bit more bang for the price of your ECU and map.