Notices

1996 wrx sti help

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2011, 12:54 AM
carswell1980
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 wrx sti help

Hi guys new to all this could anyone help me with a fuel pressure regulator instalation i have a 1996 wrx i brought the kit of ebay item number 360370411484 could anyone talk me through how to fit it sorry if im a bit cheers!
Old 21 August 2011, 06:22 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Having looked at the above item, it would appear that the kit you have bought does not have the correct adapter plates included to suit the Classic Impreza's fuel rail set up.

The adapters look too big compard to the size of the origonal regulator, however it is quite possible that the illustration is deceptive & is making everything look larger than it acually is...

I noticed that the seller states "this is a universal product and may require a different fuel rail adapter plate or different connections for your specific model." so I would contact him/her to clarify if the adaptors you have been supplied are suitable for use with your 1996 Impreza's fuel rail.

With regard to fittment, you will first need to locate the "stock" fuel pressure regulator... You will find it fitted to the end of the fuel rail next to the injector that feeds cyl no:3.. (just in case you're not sure... no:3 cylinder is located on the drivers side & is nearest the turbo).

If you look at the end of the rail, you'll see a small round regulator held in place by 2 screws which has 2 pipes connected to it. Pipe 1 is the larger of the two and it's secured to the regulator by use of a jubilee clip or crimp connection (this is the return pipe & it channels the excess fuel released by the regulator back into the fuel tank), the second pipe should be a push fit & is not usually secured by the use of clips. This pipe should run from the regulator to the inlet manifold and it's job is to sense engine loading, which in turn tells the regulator weather to increase or decrease the fuel pressure required by the engine.

To fit the after market regulator you'll first need to remove the std unit & replace it with the correct adaptor plate.. You will then need to run a hose from the adaptor plate to the inlet side of the replacement regulator and then another hose from the outlet side of the regulator and connect this to the origonal fuel return pipe that you disconnected from the std regulator. Finally, you need to connect the small pipe from the regulator to the point at which the std reg connected to the inlet manifold.

To carry out a basic set up, you need to run the engine at idle with the regulator disconnected from the inlet manifold and set the fuel pressure to 3bar (re-connect afterwards). This setting would be acceptable for a carefull drive down to see the engine mapper so that he can set everything up correctly for you.
Old 04 September 2011, 06:27 PM
carswell1980
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks PeeVee ill pass that on to the hubby
Old 04 September 2011, 07:11 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

If i was you id start by throwing it in the bin, then buyng one that is up to the job, possibly an aeromotive or fuel lab brand
Old 04 September 2011, 08:26 PM
carswell1980
Scooby Newbie

Hi thanks would there be one you would reccommend and would you know the prices many thanks Helen
Old 05 September 2011, 01:09 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrxsti280
If i was you id start by throwing it in the bin, then buyng one that is up to the job, possibly an aeromotive or fuel lab brand
+1 , I have just bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1404989089...84.m1423.l2649

I had one on my cossie ,i think 20+ yrs ago and never had any probs with it
Old 05 September 2011, 08:08 AM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

lol f.s.e are not even in the same league as aeromotive or fuel lab !

Originally Posted by midnight
+1 , I have just bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1404989089...84.m1423.l2649

I had one on my cossie ,i think 20+ yrs ago and never had any probs with it
Old 05 September 2011, 09:20 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Not to mention the fact that from what I've read elsewhere, FSE are completely unsuitable for turbocharged cars... certainly cossies, anyway!