Notices

sloppy steering (steering rack?)

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2011, 11:12 AM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sloppy steering (steering rack?)

hi, i have very sloppy steering, most noticable in a chicane manouver or coming off a roundabout (car takes too long to respond after steering)

i have taken it to two different garages (as well as had a wheel alignment) and they say nothing is wrong with it, no wear etc.

so i am at a loss what to do. i was thinking about changing the bushes to poly or even just better/newer rubber ones.

even though they said there was no wear, do you think it could be tired bushes? car has done 40k miles and has a quick steering rack (if that makes a difference)

i have no other ideas...

Last edited by walterwhite; 16 August 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 16 August 2011, 09:56 AM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i heard (i'm sure on here) that there is some nut you can adjust on your steering rack/box.

is this true?

i found this on another forum (a honda one though)

Around 60 MPH on the highway, my steering would slowly get looser it felt like, also seemed to feel alott more dangerous the faster i got going, to the point to where I avoided highways because it felt like I was gonna die from it. So i ordered the $25 tool from honda to adjust the steering rack, figured it couldnt hurt to try and maybe i'd use the tool again in the future. So i got the tool today, loosened the 40mm locknut, and tightened the guide screw, it was about 1/2 turn out, factory specs say tighten all the way, then back it out 1/4 a turn. So i did that, and went for a drive. Immediatly i noticed it was alot stiffer feeling, kind of like i installed a brand new manual rack, but easier to turn when stopped. So i got on the highway and to my happy surprise, no looseness what so ever. There was no one on the highway so i decided to go a little faster (only like 95) just to see how it responded with higher speeds, still stiff as a board at that speed. Normally at 95 i would feel like i was on the verge of death. I also had alot of vibration in the steering wheel before this, most all of the vibration at high speed went away as well.

So basically, if you have loose steering at high speeds, adjust your steering rack before anything. A simple 1/4 of a turn of the guide screw can make the biggest difference. I only posted this for people looking for answers to read this before they waste money on other parts before atleast trying this. This did it for me, anyway. Good luck
can you do this with an impreza?

thanks.

also here is the link if it's helpful.
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php...ght=rack+guide

Last edited by walterwhite; 16 August 2011 at 09:59 AM.