Notices

bov - does it affect mpg

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2011, 03:47 PM
scooby_dobby_doak
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bov - does it affect mpg

I have a non recric BOV on my 2ltr 55 plate wrx and wondered if the mpg would improve slightly if i fitted a recirc type? The BOV was already fitted when i bought the scoob and i've heard that it can make the engine run rich, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, shaun
Old 05 August 2011, 03:55 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

dunno, but you would stop sounding like a bus...which is probably a good thing

Last edited by trails; 05 August 2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05 August 2011, 04:00 PM
scooby_dobby_doak
Scooby Regular

lol, brilliant answer! I have been on the phone to scoobyworld and they said it could affect it but not by much. Think i will get it booked in for a recirc next week as it'll stop it running rich.
Old 05 August 2011, 04:07 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_dobby_doak
I have a non recric BOV on my 2ltr 55 plate wrx and wondered if the mpg would improve slightly if i fitted a recirc type? The BOV was already fitted when i bought the scoob and i've heard that it can make the engine run rich, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, shaun
Speaking from my own personal experience, I have been down that exact road except for the fact that I bought my MY05 WRX with a standard recirc and then fitted a VTA BOV. I found that I got better economy and performance with the standard recirc.

No doubt you'll get a range of opinions on this thread; I was fortunate enough to be able to try with both.

I think the theory behind it is that the ECU is programmed to expect the recirc.

My advice would be if you can get hold of a recirc, put it back on. I have a cold air induction mounted in the inner wing and the cone filter sits behind the fog lamp recess (fog lamp removed), when I lift off, you would think I had a BOV fitted... sounds nice!! no loss in performance either
Old 05 August 2011, 04:08 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

aim to please...even better now I've corrected the typo
Old 05 August 2011, 04:14 PM
scooby_dobby_doak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoober-Dubs
Speaking from my own personal experience, I have been down that exact road except for the fact that I bought my MY05 WRX with a standard recirc and then fitted a VTA BOV. I found that I got better economy and performance with the standard recirc.

No doubt you'll get a range of opinions on this thread; I was fortunate enough to be able to try with both.

I think the theory behind it is that the ECU is programmed to expect the recirc.

My advice would be if you can get hold of a recirc, put it back on. I have a cold air induction mounted in the inner wing and the cone filter sits behind the fog lamp recess (fog lamp removed), when I lift off, you would think I had a BOV fitted... sounds nice!! no loss in performance either
Cheers, this is what i'm thinking. I'm not against the VTA sound but the mpg is a little lower than it should so i'll take it in and get a new recirc at scoobyworld down at loughborough.
Old 05 August 2011, 04:20 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Tbh mate, they're a piece of p!ss to fit yourself... if you want I'll video the removal and refitting tomorrow and stick it on Youtube for you and post the link back on this thread? Save you a few quid
Old 05 August 2011, 07:52 PM
scooby_dobby_doak
Scooby Regular

Tbh mate, they're a piece of p!ss to fit yourself... if you want I'll video the removal and refitting tomorrow and stick it on Youtube for you and post the link back on this thread? Save you a few quid
Mate that would be awesome, scoobyworld charge £15 to fit so it would save me a few beans - cheers!
Old 06 August 2011, 01:03 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_dobby_doak
Mate that would be awesome, scoobyworld charge £15 to fit so it would save me a few beans - cheers!
No worries mate... I'll get it done this arfternoon.
Old 06 August 2011, 05:23 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

No worries mate... I'll get it done this arfternoon.
Had a go today but was unable to complete the video without my trusted assistant so I couldn't manilpulate the tools and hold the camera well enough on my own.

Have a look at this link that I found, it's actually the removal of the OEM dump valve and fitting a Turbosmart BOV on a newage STI, the procedure is the same whether it be an STI, or WRX. One thing that the video doesn't show, but I would strongly recommend is a.) removing the retaining bolts either side of the intercooler and b.) loosening the hose clip from the large pipe at the front of the intercooler c.) slide the intercooler back a bit to give you some room whilst removing the bung from the return pipe otherwise it's a bit fiddley. If you can't make it out I'll get my mate to come round and hold the camera for me tomorrow.

Just reverse this procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kTfjkz1IZA
Old 10 August 2011, 02:09 PM
scooby_dobby_doak
Scooby Regular

thanks mate, much appreciated!