Retro fitting roof rails to Hawkeye Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2011, 09:39 PM
fargone
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retro fitting roof rails to Hawkeye Wagon

Hello all.

I've just bought my second Impreza, a 2007 Hawkeye WRX wagon. I do a lot of mountain biking and was disappointed to find that the new wagon doesn't come with the factory fitted roof rails - the ones on my old Classic made adding/removing the roof-mounted bike rack much easier.

Anyway, I plan to look around and pick up some roof rails from a breaker and retro fit them. Am I right in thinking that the roof rails off any New Age wagon will fit my 2007 Hawkeye wagon?

Anything else I should know before I start?

Cheers, David
Old 13 October 2011, 02:09 PM
fargone
Scooby Newbie

Default Answering my own question

Finally got the rails onto the Hawkeye. I've grown to like the "shaved" rail-less looks, so was a bit reluctant to put the rails on, but it''s so much more practical for shifting my mountain bikes around that it had to be done. With no rails, the Thule footpacks you have to use to mount the roof rack are a bitch to fit, damage the wiondow surrounds, and need two people to lift the rack on and off. With the rails, I can fit the rack alone and it doesn't screw up the trim. It's still looks pretty cool with the rails on anyway.

Here's what I did, in case it's of any use to anyone in future, whether retro-fitting the rails, or removing them:

I still don't know if the rails are standard across all Newagers, as I got some off a Hawkeye from Grade-A.

I then used the detailed write-up here to get the headlining out and the roof trim off - it's actually a description of how to remove the rails, but obviously it's 90% the same job:

http://www.scoobymods.com/removed-wa...321.html?t=321

Make sure you also read the last post on the page as well - it'll save you time by reducing the amount of trim, panels, etc you need to remove.

Rails went on a treat, measuring and cutting the roof gutter trims needs to be done carefully and refitting them requires a little care not to break the clips. Left hand side trim clips (when sitting in the car) need to be pushed backwards to remove, forward to fit. RHS the opposite. You can squeeze a thin screwdriver under the trim to push the clips as needed.

Took 3 hours all told, no major issues, just a lot of stuff to remove and replace.
Old 13 October 2011, 09:48 PM
daijones
Scooby Regular

That's really useful, nice one
Old 23 June 2012, 10:41 AM
BLACK TURBO
Scooby Regular

I know it was a while ago but do you still have the roof trims that you removed