Notices

hey, new to site needing some info

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2011, 03:04 PM
Thomson
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey, new to site needing some info

hey there, just joined up the other day and thought id ask a few questions to get a rough idea about my car.

its a 98 classic with PPP ... so firstly what rough power should that be?

since having it i changed the exhaust for a 3" decat turbo back Mongoose system, a cone filter and fitted a td05 16g turbo. So im curious as to what power it should be running now, roughly of course ?

also, is it possible to have the prodrive ecu mapped again to go for more power if i go down the route of a fmic and injectors?

thanks
Old 30 July 2011, 04:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome

Power for your car running 97 ron+ fuel is 245bhp, though we have to be sure your car is actually an MY98 and not an MY99 car, so can we confirm that first please?
Easiest ways to tell are the engine, the coil pack in dead centre on the inlet manifold on the MY98 phase 1.5 engine, its off set to the right when looking in on an phase 2 engined car.
Also the MY99 cars had subaru on the front calipers (4 pots) on the MY98 they were 2 pot and no subaru writing on them (also smaller discs).
The momo steering wheel has a nice shiney bit on the MY99, on the MY98 its just black and pressed.
Once thats out of the way (MY99 = good, MY98 = bad), we can tell you the pitfalls of owning an MY97/98 car or the benefit of owning an MY99

Tony
Old 30 July 2011, 04:24 PM
Thomson
Scooby Newbie

hey, sorry about the confusion i should have been more clear. when i was saying 98 i was meaning year, as its a 1998 (s reg) uk model - sorry about that . it is a my98 however, phase 1.5 with coilpack in the middle etc etc..

so the power you said (245) is that with the Prodrive pack? or with all mods including the td05 turbo?

oh, whats the bad points? this is my 2nd scooby and ive had it for about just over a year and a half. my first was an import.

thanks again
Old 30 July 2011, 05:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The PPP will increase the power from 208bhp to 245bhp, your car will have a TD04 turbocharger as standard, the down sides to your model year (and MY97 cars) is that if you want to modify then your at the worst starting point, 2 pot brakes, unmappable ecu (so you have to go after market and then mapped), 380cc injectors (MY99's had 440cc and ecutek mappable ecu's).
Its not going to be a cheap option to modify, you could go for an apexi ecu 2nd hand if you could find one, other options are simtek (1200 quid mapped), maybe a link ecu 2nd hand, or just stick with the PPP ecu, though modding with this can cause issues

Tony
Old 30 July 2011, 05:37 PM
Thomson
Scooby Newbie

Aw that's not great . What are the issues with the prodrive ecu if I was to try doing more? I've fitted the td05 already would that cause an issue?

The prodrive ecu isn't sounding to promising if I want more power .

Sorry about all the questions! Haha.

Thanks again.
Old 30 July 2011, 06:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The Prodrive ecu is mapped for the TD04 turbocharger which is smaller than the TD05 you have fitted, this will cause issues with the running of the car, mainly being the fact the ecu cannot keep within its parameters so leading to the likes of lean running, pre detonation, engine failure etc so its quite serious.
Also that ecu is mapped specifically for the performance pack, changing part or parts of that performance pack can also cause the ecu to exceed its parameters so it wont be able to control whats going on, leading to running issues.
Changing most things (with the exception of the likes of a back box or centre section or panel filter), can cause running issues, sometimes terminal.

Tony
Old 31 July 2011, 01:34 PM
Thomson
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the info Tony!

well as i said ive had it for over a year and a half and basically after a month of owning it i changed the full exhaust system, induction kit and a few bits n bobs and so far it hasnt missed a beat.. but seing as ive put on this bigger turbo i would maybe like to get it sorted out incase anything were to go wrong. do you know of anyone/anywhere that could maybe tweek the prodrive ecu? or would it be prodrive themselves ?

cheers.