Classic rear brake problems!

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2011, 04:42 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic rear brake problems!

Ok this is now driving me mad.

I started off one day with a rear wheel etc getting hot so stripped it all down and cleaned and checked everything. Couple day and the same thing.

At this point I thought the pads are a bit low and maybe the handbrake shoes. So changed both and the disks. As they were only std and I wasnt sure what caused the prob I replaced them with decent but none std parts.

This again was ok for a couple days.

Then the same again on the opposite side. I since had the entire lot apart 4 times before eventually setting the rear with zero handbrake.

Still no better so took it to a top notch gargage and asked if it was the bearings? They checked it all out and set it up correctly. I had been making an adjustment in the wrong way and all was good.

Have only done 50miles in the last 2 months as Ive been using the comuter alot and it did the same thing yesterday. I can feel the car being held back and soon as i stoped everything was hot again.

Any thoughts. It is a case of needing genuine parts? Dont want to bother the garage again as they did a good job if its the parts.

Help or advice, its doing my head in!
Old 24 July 2011, 05:38 PM
wr pete
Scooby Regular

It will be the brake caliper sticking, quite common on a classic.

Last edited by wr pete; 24 July 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 24 July 2011, 05:44 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Heat is generated from inside the hub and only spreads out to the caliper.
Old 24 July 2011, 05:48 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

Could well be a faulty/failing hand brake shoe adjuster that's continually over adjusting itself (assuming you think its coming from within and not from the brake pads of course). Did you slacken the hand brake cables off first before adjusting the internal shoe adjuster as they might have been over adjusted themselves over the years.

If you jack the car up at that corner is the wheel hard to move or as free as the others (bearing in mind you will have resistance from the 4 wheel drive)

Last edited by Yamarashi; 24 July 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 24 July 2011, 06:11 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

I wasnt slackening the cable correctly but the garage did. And they checked and are sure its not the bearings. How could i check if the handbrake is over adjusting inself?
Old 24 July 2011, 06:54 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dspeed
I wasnt slackening the cable correctly but the garage did. And they checked and are sure its not the bearings. How could i check if the handbrake is over adjusting inself?
If when you think the brake is over heating you jack the car up at that corner with the handbrake off and see if the wheel rotates as freely as it should, as said there will be some resistance as its 4wd but it shouldnt be rock solid and unable to rotate.
Old 25 July 2011, 08:24 AM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

After another drive I think i can hear the shoes rubbing round corners. Thinking they may be too wide?
Old 12 October 2011, 04:25 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sorry but did u ever get this sorted as my type r doing this?I noticed a few months ago i changed caliper disc s and pads that sorted. Now 500 odd miles im getting a whining (wheel bearing like noise)noise from this rear left wheel could it be wheel bearing generating so much heat? Iv also thought it could be a dodgy brake hose as iv known them to colapse inside so when u put foot down your pushing fluid through but having trouble returning if u what i mean?