Notices

replacement engine - what would you add?

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2011, 10:31 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement engine - what would you add?

Ok so i've picked up a replacement EJ205 engine for my classic and once fitted i'll be taking it to Zen for a remap.

I figure that if its going to get mapped I might as well consider what other bolt on mods to do prior to fitting. I cant afford to rebuild it etc so that out of the question so please no posts saying to put Sti stuff in there, it aint gonna happen.

Question is, whats worth doing?

Lightweight pulleys?
Ceramic/stainless headers and up pipe?
Thermal inlet spacers?

I currently have a VF35, FMIC, Scoobyworld sports cat and system, lightened flywheel and decent clutch and an ecutek remap running 337bhp/298 lb/ft but i'm going to have it mapped to 95RON so this will come down. Vpower/Tesco 99 isnt available within 20 miles of here so I have to change it to 95 or 97.

If theres and plus/minus points to doing any of the above then let me know, i'd like to get shopping in time before the fit. Cheers
Old 21 July 2011, 10:41 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightweight pulleys are just for look and bhp gain is just marginal

Ceramic/stainless steel headers are not for you at current tune,i would invest money to Harvey Ported Headers with Harvey Up pipe rather than Stainless steel headers

Thermal inlet spacers will be gain,but again just marginal.

What worth is to do,buying second hand SimTek and get this mapped for Methanol or use your EcuTek ECU with adding meth mix,with this you will definitely will gain bhp and torque

Jura
Old 21 July 2011, 10:46 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Thanks Jura but If i'm currently running 337bhp on standard internals surely i'm reaching the upper limit for the engine? I know some of these mods only give marginal gains and some are only cosmetic but while the engine is out surely its a good time to consider these sort of things.

Meth mix isnt for me, I just want something reliable that I can fill up at the pumps and not have to worry about.

Why is everyone against changing the headers at under 400 bhp? I dont want to change them to gain power, more for an exhaust note change and maybe a faster spool.

I've looked around but cant find a link to this Harvey guy or any ported headers for sale, can someone post a link please. Thanks
Old 21 July 2011, 10:56 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
Thanks Jura but If i'm currently running 337bhp on standard internals surely i'm reaching the upper limit for the engine? I know some of these mods only give marginal gains and some are only cosmetic but while the engine is out surely its a good time to consider these sort of things.

Meth mix isnt for me, I just want something reliable that I can fill up at the pumps and not have to worry about.

Why is everyone against changing the headers at under 400 bhp? I dont want to change them to gain power, more for an exhaust note change and maybe a faster spool.

I've looked around but cant find a link to this Harvey guy or any ported headers for sale, can someone post a link please. Thanks

Yes on standard your engine i would don't go more than 350bhp,maybe little bit more.

Yes depends on your feeling,but if you want go and buy these items,but i would say you will see small increase.

Meth mix is good if you are looking for few horses and meth is easy to buy via Jennychem.

With some headers you will loose spool and with Harvey you will gain spool and about the note,with these you will loose spool
PM here Harvey for best advice and help,he know his stuff https://www.scoobynet.com/member.php?u=5340

Jura
Old 22 July 2011, 06:54 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Harvey Headers will make a huge difference to spool especially with the correct match up-pipe from the man himself - expect to see around a 500rpm gain in boost
Old 22 July 2011, 08:26 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

few thing's i'd look at:
modified oil pump?
decent cambelt?
New coil packs if getting on a bit or leads if old std ones (dependent on model/year you have) & new plugs
Up rated fuel pump
harvey ported headers or at least heat wrap yours
i did the lightweight crank pulley - more of an inertia thing to reduce weight it has to spin suposedly to aid responsiveness
check the crank seals front & back
decent clutch like AP racing organic
lightened flywheel, or skimmed standard one
i changed the rocker gaskets all for new
i use three bond as well if your re-fitting the sump to the new engine etc
wrap the downpipe

* side note - dont forget your brakes
Old 22 July 2011, 07:15 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

cant find a link to this Harvey guy
harveysmith1@btopenworld.com
The advice wiil depend on whether you intend to move on to another turbo and probably injectors.
337bhp/298 lb/ft but i'm going to have it mapped to 95RON
The power difference between 97 RON and Tesco Momentum 99 or V-Power is likely to be 10-12 bhp minimum.
We do not have details of your injectors or engine model and year. 350 bhp is probably a safe limit and 380 bhp tops. All figures relate to Shell v-V-Power and DynoDynamic rollers.

Last edited by harvey; 24 July 2011 at 12:30 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 23 July 2011, 12:07 AM
the hamster
BANNED

Hi Harvey, I have a standard EJ205 (MY00) block and standard injectors.

Reason for me wanting to change to 95 RON is to drop power a little to around 300bhp plus not have to worry about finding a place to fill up on 99 RON/V-Power all the time without using additive etc. If I can get mapped to 95 but fill up with 97 then its got to be safer than having a v-power map and using a lesser grade.

Also, I feel my transmission is getting tired and i'm concerned about shredding 2nd/3rd gear at my current power level. I've already replaced the centre diff in the last 1000 miles plus the box has been repaired (1aa box) with a 5th gear replacement. I tend to use midrange power when driving, not hard launches so a drop in power may prolong the life of the box.

If porting the headers, heatwrapping etc will improve driveability more than add outright power then i'd be interested in this, along with any other bolt on stuff I can do beforehand. What do you charge for a set of ported headers?
Old 24 July 2011, 12:33 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

You already have potential to make 300 bhp your stated target so you do not need additional power mods.

If porting the headers, heatwrapping etc will improve driveability more than add outright power then i'd be interested in this, along with any other bolt on stuff I can do beforehand. What do you charge for a set of ported headers?
Fitting ported headers and matched uppipe will make the car more responsive, more willing to go and add torque right across the rev range.
Ported headers, DEI heat wrapped, matched stainless steel, slip jointed uppipe with five new Subaru studs, also DEI heat wrapped £369 exchange. £12.50 postage or we fit for £75.