Notices

JDM Info

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2011, 07:22 PM
Jumpman23
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Info

Hey guys i currently own a usdm 04 wrx wagon and have the opportunity to trade for a usdm 02 wrx wagon with STI JDM Spec C block and heads. He says they are from a 2001 JDM STI.

Anyway i am just trying to find more information about said engine and was hoping you guys could at least point me somewhere where i can find out a little more about it.

Also if anyone has experience with this particular engine with stock internals what did you get out of it power wise.

Thanks so much in advance
Old 16 July 2011, 09:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
Well to start with if its out of a 2001 Model Year car then it wont be a spec c, they came out in 2002 (single scroll) so it will be more than likely out of an STI type RA.
Performance wise, standard is 280ps or 276bhp, and power available on the stock internals is 400+bhp safely, some have run these 2ltr blocks to 500+bhp but its just a matter of time before it lets go imho.
Anything around the 400-420bhp mark on a well maintained engine and it should be ok, plenty of people running that sort of power on the 2ltr STI turbo engines over here

Tony
Old 16 July 2011, 09:18 PM
Jumpman23
Scooby Newbie

Hey thanks a lot for the info. He is the 2nd owner and says he can get all the pics of it uninstalled and receipts so i will find out for sure what it is. If it was indeed an 02 spec c than what could i expect.
Old 16 July 2011, 10:02 PM
Jumpman23
Scooby Newbie

Also something else to note it does have single avcs if that helps narrow it down
Old 16 July 2011, 10:39 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jumpman23
Hey thanks a lot for the info. He is the 2nd owner and says he can get all the pics of it uninstalled and receipts so i will find out for sure what it is. If it was indeed an 02 spec c than what could i expect.
If its 02 Spec C you will expect around with proper tune and supported mods around 450-500bhp,but if its just on standard parts(ie VF34,TMIC) you should looking around at 350bhp at top.

Also something else to note it does have single avcs if that helps narrow it down
All JDM cars have AVCS, and you will need also JDM ECU,because USDM don't support AVCS.

Jura
Old 16 July 2011, 10:54 PM
Jumpman23
Scooby Newbie

Cool good info. I did know about the jdm ecu however. Ill post back when i find out more about what the car has.

Is there a lot of jdm owners on this sight? I would like to look at some diff set ups as far as supporting mods and see what to go for.

Thanks again
Old 16 July 2011, 11:08 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Cool good info. I did know about the jdm ecu however. Ill post back when i find out more about what the car has.

Is there a lot of jdm owners on this sight? I would like to look at some diff set ups as far as supporting mods and see what to go for.

Thanks again
Hi there all JDM WRX or STi from bugeye V7 cars have AVCS,WRX have slightly different cams than JDM STi,AVCS will help you in next stage if you will go for different turbo as Blouch Dominator 2.5XT-R(here known as SC46) or SC50(Blouch Dominator 3.0XT-R),because you will gain in therm of spool.

Depends for how much BHP you are looking at first and second how much you are looking spend?

Jura
Old 17 July 2011, 01:14 AM
Jumpman23
Scooby Newbie

Well it kind of a long story but the car is kind of already built. The car has cai, perrin inlet, hta68 turbo, meth kit, rebuilt tranny with ra gear set, new clutch, manual boost controller etc.

However due to miscommunication a repair shop messed up the cams and had to replace the 207 heads with 205 heads for the time being. The car will come with the 207 heads that i will put on myself after researching a little more about how to hook up avcs etc.

Here what he told me

The LONG story
When I bought the car last year it had 330 WHP. Came with an STI JDM Spec C block and heads (2000 or 2001) setup with AVCS, TurboXS Utec, STI RA gearset and the works. The car ran great for 10,000+ miles until an O2 sensor went out. After replacing the O2 sensor I started noticing issues with the UTEC; even though the car was running fine, I couldn't get the maps to save or the boost to go over 10PSI. I took the car to a specialty Subaru shop that claimed tons of experience with import motors and such, even TurboXS certified reseller...I even drove hundreds of miles out of my way to take it there. They installed the HTA 68 turbo, removed the UTEC in favor of open source tune, performed the dyno tune, etc. Unfortunately, they also discovered the need for some "repairs" and suggested I have them done ASAP. Turns out, they installed parts for a stock WRX motor on the STI block and disabled the AVCS. 1000 miles later, the camshaft got jammed by the breakage of said WRONG part and I took the car in for repairs. Luckily, there was no damage to anything but the cams. The shop that did the repairs wasn't familiar with the STI heads (setup for AVCS) so they replaced them with stock, 2002 WRX heads.
Old 17 July 2011, 01:29 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Well it kind of a long story but the car is kind of already built. The car has cai, perrin inlet, hta68 turbo, meth kit, rebuilt tranny with ra gear set, new clutch, manual boost controller etc.

However due to miscommunication a repair shop messed up the cams and had to replace the 207 heads with 205 heads for the time being. The car will come with the 207 heads that i will put on myself after researching a little more about how to hook up avcs etc.

Here what he told me

The LONG story
When I bought the car last year it had 330 WHP. Came with an STI JDM Spec C block and heads (2000 or 2001) setup with AVCS, TurboXS Utec, STI RA gearset and the works. The car ran great for 10,000+ miles until an O2 sensor went out. After replacing the O2 sensor I started noticing issues with the UTEC; even though the car was running fine, I couldn't get the maps to save or the boost to go over 10PSI. I took the car to a specialty Subaru shop that claimed tons of experience with import motors and such, even TurboXS certified reseller...I even drove hundreds of miles out of my way to take it there. They installed the HTA 68 turbo, removed the UTEC in favor of open source tune, performed the dyno tune, etc. Unfortunately, they also discovered the need for some "repairs" and suggested I have them done ASAP. Turns out, they installed parts for a stock WRX motor on the STI block and disabled the AVCS. 1000 miles later, the camshaft got jammed by the breakage of said WRONG part and I took the car in for repairs. Luckily, there was no damage to anything but the cams. The shop that did the repairs wasn't familiar with the STI heads (setup for AVCS) so they replaced them with stock, 2002 WRX heads.

Here in UK probably nobody using Utec,which i know about this ECU is just piece of crap,sorry,OS tune is much better,but still don't understand why tuner disabled AVCS,if its properly tuned will run sweet as you will have better spool.

In this case you are using JDM bottom end with WRX cams,JDM bottom end is stronger than any 2.0l and probably will last 450-500bhp with proper tune.

If you could i would suggest in future try source AVCS cams with JDM ECU or Hydra ECU,which can control AVCS as well.This will make difference on yourr tune in future.

HTA turbos,i'm not big fan of this turbos,i've seen few turbos making nice power,but i've seen few turbo blown just like that.

I'm running JDM WRX with AVCS and Bouch DOM 3.0XT-R and i'm hopping for 500BHP

Jura
Old 17 July 2011, 01:58 AM
Jumpman23
Scooby Newbie

Yes i agree, utec is garbage. As far as the tuner disabling the avcs, i dont think that the tuner meant to do it. Also not sure you seen my first post, but this car isnt mine yet. I will be trading my 04 usdm wrx for this 02 usdm wrx with jdm internals.

I am planning on getting a jdm ecu and and then putting the 207 heads back on. At the same time i will hook back up the meth kit and see what the turbo can do. I am also not a fan of the hta 68 turbo, but its very over hyped on all the forums over here in the U.S. which is why he probably went with it. He definitely is not the most educated owner.

Wow 500 hp is pretty impressive. That not just on pump is it? if so what octane do you guys have over there

Last edited by Jumpman23; 17 July 2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 17 July 2011, 02:09 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Yes i agree, utec's is garbage. As far as the tuner disabling the avcs, i dont think that the tuner meant to do it. Also not sure you seen my first post, but this car isnt mine yet. I will be trading my 04 usdm wrx for this 02 usdm wrx with jdm internals.

I am planning on getting a jdm ecu and and then putting the 207 heads back on. At the same time i will hook back up the meth kit and see what the turbo can do. I am also not a fan of the hta 68 turbo, but its very over hyped on all the furums over here in the U.S. Wow 500 hp is pretty impressive. That not just on pump is it?
Aha,OK matey will be good with JDM internals and you will be have piece of mind as well.

About the UTEC ,i've heard few horror stories and not sure if i would go for this ECU.

207 cams will make amazing difference with JDM ECU..

About the my spec,here is thread https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...s-project.html

I will run 340lph fuel pump with Bosch 044 second pump,this 500BHP are UK,not US,not sure how much is US

Octane here is 99RON

For turbo i would suggest Blouch Dom 2.5XT-R which will be amazing on 2.0L.And you will probably will make around 400whp.

Jura
Old 18 July 2011, 04:58 AM
Jumpman23
Scooby Newbie

Well after contacting the original owner he says it's a 2001 VER7 STI RA SPEC C.

Heard the spec c version has larger cams and larger ports. I also heard there were not many in production. Like i said these are all things i heard or briefly read on a few forums. Can anyone give me any more info on this? or confirm what i have been reading?

Thanks!
Old 18 July 2011, 05:15 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Well after contacting the original owner he says it's a 2001 VER7 STI RA SPEC C.

Heard the spec c version has larger cams and larger ports. I also heard there were not many in production. Like i said these are all things i heard or briefly read on a few forums. Can anyone give me any more info on this? or confirm what i have been reading?

Thanks!
This will help you

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823167

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1449876

http://www.type-ra.co.uk/pdf/typeRA_spec-c.pdf

Jura
Old 18 July 2011, 05:25 AM
Jumpman23
Scooby Newbie

Great info thanks again
Old 18 July 2011, 09:08 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The spec c had some engine modifications (well the 03 cars definately did) over the standard model, will get a link to that shortly but I expect similar on the MY02 model (abeit its single scroll vf34), the MY01 was just an RA and used exactly the same engine as the standard model, no tweaks etc.

Let me get a link showing you the difference on the later models (I think they brought the lot into line for the MY05 widetrack JDM's).

Could only find this, gives you some indication of the difference between a spec c engine and the 2.5 (though its a twin scroll unit)
http://www.litimports.co.uk/subaru_06specc.asp

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 18 July 2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 18 July 2011, 05:51 PM
Jumpman23
Scooby Newbie

Hey Tony thanks for the link and more information. You say there were no spec c for my 01 sti type ra? It seems the the links above say otherwise.

I think im going to try to get a hold of the original owner and find out who he ordered the engine from. There are not to many companies on nasioc that import jdm so hopefully it will not be to difficult to source them.

Edit: Read that pdf again and i believe it officially released spec c's starting on Dec. 10 of 2001, or am i just reading that wrong?

Last edited by Jumpman23; 18 July 2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 18 July 2011, 07:01 PM
Jumpman23
Scooby Newbie

OK finally figured out it is in fact just a type ra.

Now i have another question for you guys. There is for sale an 05 jdm sti motor on nasioc. How would you compare the type ra from 01 to the 05? which on would you go for and why?

Also i always hear people on nasioc saying what version the engine is rather than what year it's from when talking jdm. Do you know what "version" these two engines are considered?

Thanks for all the help so far guys
Old 18 July 2011, 07:07 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

If it's single AVCS then it's a WRX engine ........the STi had AVCS on the inlet and exhaust cams..... See your post 4

Shaun

PS Tony is right

There was no spec C until the revision B Impreza's came out. Subaru dropped the Revision A 2001 Type RA because of lack of performance compared to the Lancer Evo.
Old 18 July 2011, 07:47 PM
Jumpman23
Scooby Newbie

Well this is sounding more and more like a bummer lol. Thanks though i am glad to know exactly what is in this car before possibly trading. Either way its a hell of a lot better than a usdm 205.
Old 18 July 2011, 07:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Go for the MY05 Spec C engine, its the best unit subaru have ever produced uprated by about 80% internally, the crank is cross drilled and nitrided for better oil flow/strength to start with, its twin scroll so the power delivery is fantastic, you can change the turbo and injectors and run a very nice 420bhp with virtually no lag its not totally indestructable but as subaru engines go, its very hard to kill unless you really dont look after it.

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 18 July 2011 at 07:55 PM.