Notices

roll cage help

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2011, 06:15 PM
german2jap..in.1.drive
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roll cage help

hi i own a metal fabrication company we have 6 cnc machines and manily use tig welding...
anyway i have recently purchased a cheap 1998 2000 turbo.
wich i intend on using as a track car.
i am just at the rollcage stage and would find it alot easier get 1 of the lads make it if i knew thew mounting points and how you assemble(excuse the spelling lol) them i.e in the car or in sections. and wether just weld straight in or weld in plates with nut serts and then fix to plate.

anyway thanks 4 reading this and if anyone has any photos feel free 2 post them.

and also i myt begin making some parts soon i.e pullys..wheel nuts..roll cages once i get the design 2 a T ...AND ANYTHING ELSE WHAT ANY1 ELSE CAN THINK OF ???

CHEERS STEVE
DV MACHING AND FABRICATIONS.COM
Old 05 July 2011, 06:57 PM
chewee
Scooby Regular

steve if you start making cages let me know as im at the same stage as you and cant find a cheap cage within a 1000 miles! what about making strut braces? id be interested in them aswell, but would also be interested in a set of pulleys! if you need any help with anything give me a shout and ill see what i can do!

most of the cages that are weld in are assembled in the car rather than on the floor but to be honest you are probably best trying it and findin out for yourself! are you going to make dash dodgers or the other sort?
Old 05 July 2011, 07:18 PM
german2jap..in.1.drive
Scooby Regular

hi mate..i dont know about strut braces as you can pick them up fair cheap anyway..but cages and anything machined like pullys and well anything you find on sale i could get made and anodised for a better price if i go ahead with my plan...the only thing im thinking is if you weld it in car how then do you get it powder coated or anodised as i think that would look great cheers mate
Old 05 July 2011, 08:00 PM
chewee
Scooby Regular

yea fair point steve! to be honest i dont think ive ever seen a powder coated weld in cage! i know most people that have custom cages or any other weld in cages like that just paint them! which is personnaly what i shall do if your plans work out ! oh and ive never seem a cage anodised as ive never seen an ally cage they are all made of steel! i know its still early days but could you imagine a rough price on a dash dodger cage?

dan
Old 05 July 2011, 08:16 PM
german2jap..in.1.drive
Scooby Regular

i priced up the tube yesterday and for the spec for the cages in rally cars it was 200 hundered in mtirial then 500 in work maybe i can not reli say untill i have done 1mine and i will get pics but i aint sure if i myt be doing 1 that runs threw the dash let me know what that price sounds like cus i need some idea cheers steve
Old 05 July 2011, 08:25 PM
chewee
Scooby Regular

yea thats not bad mate, when you say work do you mean fitting or the fishtailing and joining and all that? rally car cage may be a bit over the top for me but find some specs or pics that you might aim for and ill let you know!
Old 05 July 2011, 08:34 PM
german2jap..in.1.drive
Scooby Regular

yeah obviously it depends on what your intentions are..and the push in ends could be an option i just could do with seeing 1 lol then i be sound i will no more when i get mine started next week cheers mate i will keep you posted
Old 05 July 2011, 08:58 PM
chewee
Scooby Regular

yea cool bud ill wait ti hear from you!
Old 19 August 2011, 09:47 PM
chewee
Scooby Regular

alright steve,

how have you been getting on with the cage fab?