Notices

OIL COOLER FITTING/UPSIDE DOWN O.K???

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2011, 10:46 PM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL COOLER FITTING/UPSIDE DOWN O.K???

Hi guys just a quick one, im fiiting a 19 row mocal oil cooler to a classic scooby with a fmic, whats the best place to fit them??

I was thinking behind the grill on cross member for air flow but i would have to mount it with the fittings to the bottom???

Would this be a problem??

Any advice/pics/guides or help would be much appreciated. tim.
Old 19 June 2011, 11:18 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

No problems fitting them that way what so ever... I have mine fitted side ways with the input at the bottom, and the output at the top, that way the oil has more time to cool.

The pump is what pushes the oil around the cooler, so fitting it like you suggest will be fine
Old 20 June 2011, 07:46 AM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Default mounting oil cooler

Cheers for the reply, ive just heard some people say that you shouldnt fit them that way becouse of trapping air and that the oil drains from the cooler every time you turn the motor off!

Also if i mount it sideways like you said, how do i know which line line is feed and return?? Sorry 4 being dumb!!

Dont suupose youve got any pictures of yours have you?

cheers tim.
Old 20 June 2011, 12:35 PM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Default oil cooler fitting

Can anyone shed somelight on this oil cooler issue? Is upside down ok? Or am i best vertical or with the fittings on top. If i put the fittings on top then it drops the cooler right down behind the fmic so it wouldnt get as much air flow? Would this be a prob? Cheers guys.
Old 20 June 2011, 12:38 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

in theory you want oil in at the top, oil out at the bottom.

as far as sideways, dunno lol
Old 20 June 2011, 01:03 PM
NISFAN
Scooby Regular

Firstly, the oil does not drain out of the cooler when the engine is off.

Yes you can fit the cooler with the fitting at the bottom, however, you need to ensure the air is bled out the first time you set it up, and each oil change, etc.

You can do this by running the car with the connections on top, or sideways if 'in' is at bottom, 'out' at top. Do this temporarily to get rid of the air lock, then you are free to mount it 'upside down'.

Over time the odd air bubble will start to collect at the top of the cooler, reducing it's capacity for oil, but as long as you drain it and refill come oil change time, should be OK.

An air bleed screw on top of the cooler would be great.
Old 20 June 2011, 01:40 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have mine fitted with the hoses at the bottom, but as NISFAN says it will be fine
Old 20 June 2011, 01:41 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

more importaint i would say is to make sure the hoses are stainless braded, and have a good heat protection on them. like fire sleeve etc
Old 20 June 2011, 06:08 PM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Default oil cooler fitting/views/ comments

Cheers for the response guys, i knew i could count on U!!

Sometimes it hard to know if your doing the right thing!

Any pictures showing mountings/positions/ or more comments and

views much appreciated as im sure this thread could be helpful to

more than just me!!

Also how do you know which pipe is feed and which is return from the sandwich plate??

thanx again tim.
Old 20 June 2011, 07:56 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I do not know the answer about this for sure but on any installation I do the feed has to be at the top.
The oil cooler matrix is above the level of the sump so unless you have a check valve fitted, ie. a one way valve, which I would not want to fit anyway as it is an additional constriction. There is always the possibility that oil will back feed out of the matrix which after a couple of days could contain a significant volume of air. This cannot happen if the fittings are at the top or it is less likely to happen.
Those of you with oil pressure guages will see how long it takes from the engine firing to achieve reasonable/full oil pressure at tickover. Any air in the matrix will simply add to the delay of achieving reasonable oil pressure. Not good to run the engine without full oil pressure on start up particularly when it is very cold.
In cold weather I always crank the engine without any fuel until I can see oil pressure at which point fuel pump is switched on and the engine started normally with full oil pressure in 2 or 3 seconds.
I obviously get in and out of very many cars. Some have oil pressure almost immediately but others are a bit frightening as it takes so long to get oil pressure (oil viscosity may be badly chosen or a tired pump) so mounting the oil cooler upside down is not an option for me.
Having said all that I am prepared to listen to anybody that knows more about this than me.
Old 20 June 2011, 10:34 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Hi Harvey,

this is a reply on another forum when i asked the same question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zornorph
Jimbo- the oil does not drain from the coolers or lines. It doesn't appreciably change the oil level

Originally Posted by Ian Jones
does this count as well if both lines to the cooler are at the bottom?

Shouldn't make any difference. The oil can only drain out if there's something to replace it, IE air. It's a sealed system, where will the air come from to displace the oil in the cooler? Same reason the fuel system doesn't drain out when you shut off the car. If air can't get in, the oil/fuel can't get out.

Same reason why you can dunk a bottle under water, wait for it to fill up completely, turn it upside down, and lift it out of the water without it draining. As long as the mouth of the bottle stays below the surface of the water, air can't get in. If air can't get in, the water can't get out, so the bottle stays full even though 90% of it is above the surface of the water.

All of that being said, that orientation isn't a good one. It will be very difficult to "prime" the core, because there will be no way to get the air out of it initially. If I were you, I would unmount the core and orient it with both of the connections on top for your first start. After you start up the car and get oil circulating through, which will push all of the air out of the system, you can re-mount it with the connections facing down. As long as you leave all of the connections attached, so air can't enter the system, the cooler won't drain back out.
Old 21 June 2011, 02:38 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Thanks for that Ian. I see what is being said but the oil cooler is above the level of the sump and the oil can most certainly drain somewhere on an O/E system.
Why does it take so long for some cars to build oil pressure.
I am not sure as to what the actual situation is but I plan to stick with my logic with fittings at the top until I see clear evidence that this is unnecessary.
Old 21 June 2011, 02:49 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask Prodrive...
Old 21 June 2011, 02:57 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

I have mounted mine up side down, with the lines at the bottom, as i have fitted the cooler under the bonnet bar. and the lines would not fit at the top. but if i of had fitted it any where else and there was room, the lines at the top thats for sure, then you know 100 % it will be fine.