1994 wrx sti import non start after cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2011, 10:17 PM
sim0n_parker
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 wrx sti import non start after cutting out

hello guys,
firstly im new around here and been browsing about the forum on a regular basis just havnt been posting.

new scooby owner, picked my classic import wrx sti up last week,
1994 turbo model,
had it on the road a couple of days and know its broke

when buying it, car performd well on road test pulled well through gears, nothing strange to report. had the car parked up and spent a good few days cleaning the seats and carpets. starting it every so often aletting it idle over a week period.
used it all day monday (bank holiday) and performed as it should, no issues what so ever, but did notice a ever so slight miss on idle, but before you could notice it, it disapered again.

yesterday got to work, fine no problems what so ever, had the wheels balanced up at lunch parked up afterwords and went back to work.

finished work, blipped my clifford concept300 fob, hop'd in the car started her up, fired up like a dream no issues what so ever sounded sweet as she usualy does went for my belt just as i grabbed the belt she cut out, and since then hasnt started since

just under half a tank of fuel, cant hear a fuel pump priming at all, checkd all fuses, looked for a relay for the fuel pump but cant see a great deal, i have noticed someone has been at the fuel pump wires before under the rear seat.. but on igniton im getting about 3volts at a wire, and cranking about 10-11volts (i presume batt voltage) been cranking abit so btt has lost some juice. the wiresa look like they have had a repair done to them, looks ok but without further investigation i cant tell how well its been done.

any other pointers to look for, such a shame really as i was loving my scooby ownership, i just hope this does not put a damper on it as once i lose faith in a car it goes as i cant not have a reliable car.

thanks alot and hope you can point me in the right direction
Old 31 May 2011, 10:25 PM
evobad
Scooby Regular

well it must be a wiring problem to the fuel pump if it looks like they have been played with,if you no what your doing just check the wireing mate
Old 31 May 2011, 10:28 PM
scottydog137
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sim0n_parker
hello guys,
firstly im new around here and been browsing about the forum on a regular basis just havnt been posting.

new scooby owner, picked my classic import wrx sti up last week,
1994 turbo model,
had it on the road a couple of days and know its broke

when buying it, car performd well on road test pulled well through gears, nothing strange to report. had the car parked up and spent a good few days cleaning the seats and carpets. starting it every so often aletting it idle over a week period.
used it all day monday (bank holiday) and performed as it should, no issues what so ever, but did notice a ever so slight miss on idle, but before you could notice it, it disapered again.

yesterday got to work, fine no problems what so ever, had the wheels balanced up at lunch parked up afterwords and went back to work.

finished work, blipped my clifford concept300 fob, hop'd in the car started her up, fired up like a dream no issues what so ever sounded sweet as she usualy does went for my belt just as i grabbed the belt she cut out, and since then hasnt started since

just under half a tank of fuel, cant hear a fuel pump priming at all, checkd all fuses, looked for a relay for the fuel pump but cant see a great deal, i have noticed someone has been at the fuel pump wires before under the rear seat.. but on igniton im getting about 3volts at a wire, and cranking about 10-11volts (i presume batt voltage) been cranking abit so btt has lost some juice. the wiresa look like they have had a repair done to them, looks ok but without further investigation i cant tell how well its been done.

any other pointers to look for, such a shame really as i was loving my scooby ownership, i just hope this does not put a damper on it as once i lose faith in a car it goes as i cant not have a reliable car.

thanks alot and hope you can point me in the right direction
take the clifford off!!!

I had a similar problem on my clifford concept50 on a 1997 golf Vr6 but on the ignition side

The relays are weak and burn out,

If it had a repair to the wires to the fuel pump ie a bypass for the alrm unit the wires coming off are usually pure black looking the same thickness as speaker wire!!!
Old 31 May 2011, 10:47 PM
sim0n_parker
Scooby Newbie

i thought it could of been an alarm issue, but funny how ive got a live feed to the pump on ignition and on cranking, and i have an earth..
just seems odd that if it is the pump, how it just packed up all of a sudden? are these common to packing up? as its not as if i had a poor performance issue at all.
Old 31 May 2011, 10:50 PM
wazlee
Scooby Regular

Hi,

If you can't hear it prime, it could well be a fuel pump - through past experience they can go at anytime, without warning.
I had a 1996 WRX & was driving onto a ramp at work to do check the brakes and it just cut out !
Done some feed checks etc & the pump was cream crackered.
Old 31 May 2011, 10:52 PM
sim0n_parker
Scooby Newbie

whats the best thing to do for a replacement pump? worth while just going oem? or to do a walbro pump? if it is this of course
Old 31 May 2011, 10:54 PM
scottydog137
Scooby Regular

3 volts isn't enough, it must be 12vts

try powering the live up to the fuel pump direct from the battery and starting
Old 31 May 2011, 10:58 PM
wazlee
Scooby Regular

I went Walbro - at the time was cheaper than the OE one, plus if thinking of modding, upgrading now is something less to do in future !
Old 31 May 2011, 11:00 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

i had the same problem last month on my car - turned out to be the alarm (clifford 300!).
But yours could well be the wiring (given what you have posted) the feed to the pump is by the two wires on the right of the plug (as you look towards the back of the car) - the central two are the fuel gauge. the pump relay is up on the bulkhead behind the accelerator pedal (more or less where your right knee points)
Old 31 May 2011, 11:00 PM
sim0n_parker
Scooby Newbie

3 volts isnt enough on ignition? i have roughly battery voltage though when cranking.
Old 31 May 2011, 11:02 PM
scottydog137
Scooby Regular

3 volts isnt enough on ignition? i have roughly battery voltage though when cranking.
Nope, you need 12v volts to prime and 12 vols on running!!

Last edited by scottydog137; 31 May 2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 31 May 2011, 11:04 PM
sim0n_parker
Scooby Newbie

albob, how did you get round the alarm?
Old 31 May 2011, 11:05 PM
sim0n_parker
Scooby Newbie

ok, so where would you look next then?
Old 31 May 2011, 11:08 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

albob, how did you get round the alarm?
mine was in the garage - they got in an independent auto electrician who bypassed something -- the alarm still works normally. the garage said he had bypassed the section of the immobiliser that shut off the pump (which I didnt think the 300 had ??!!)
Old 31 May 2011, 11:15 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

as scottydog suggested - try running a live supply direct to the pump. I didnt try this - but i did read a lot of threads on here about it - one person took a supply from the rear lights....