Subaru Bugeye Gear knob ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2011, 08:31 PM
jaseman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Bugeye Gear **** ?

Hi guys
I want to replace my worn gear **** on my bugeye but just want to know how to get off the old one and is it an easy job?
Any help appreciated
Jase 
Old 29 May 2011, 08:32 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

i want to do the same on my blobeye,gave up in the end.
Old 29 May 2011, 08:45 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bug WRX is just a threaded ****

Be careful what you replace it with, I've got a metal one and boy is it cold in winter. Before that I had a MOMO one which went tatty very quickly

Shaun
Old 29 May 2011, 10:26 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaseman
Hi guys
I want to replace my worn gear **** on my bugeye but just want to know how to get off the old one and is it an easy job?
Any help appreciated
Jase 
I've recently done this job on my bug and it's a bit of a fiddle but is reasonably easy, if your careful.

To remove the gear **** that unscrews off of the gear lever, you will have to remove the centre console because you will need to remove the gear lever shroud, which is attached to the gear **** by a plastic ring that holds the shroud on to the bottom of the gear ****.

You will also have to remove the armrest/hand brake cover, as this stops you from pulling up the centre console because it holds it down on the join in the middle.

It's not that bad, but you do need to be careful prising off the hook pawls that hold both the arm rest and the console.

Once you got all these parts off, the rest of the job is self explanatory except for the ring that holds the gear **** the the gear lever shroud it will just need to be prised open to release the gear **** from the shroud.

You have to be a little brutal, but be careful and the job will be done in no time.

When I changed my gear lever, I was super careful not to break anything, but if I was doing the same job today it would probably take no more than a quarter of an hour because it is a straight forward job when you know how!

Good Luck!

Last edited by Twin Fields; 30 May 2011 at 06:44 AM.