Notices

bad knock sensor = bad idle??

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2011, 07:21 AM
rswyatt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad knock sensor = bad idle??

my car is still idling bad. it starts up well. idles healthy. get to the end of my drive way and up the rd and by that time, if i put the clutch in and let the revs drop all the way it struggles to stay alive. just sits around 700 and sometimes dies. quite abit lately. sometimes it idles normally. i think its running rich and flooding itself but dont no why. have tried adjusting both screws on throttle body and icv. two codes have come up, temp sensor and knock sensor. then i reset the ecu. went fotr a drive and only knock sensor came back. any ideas??
Old 24 May 2011, 08:31 AM
MIAMI
Scooby Regular

Hello, What you need to do is get hold of a multimeter, set it to ohms

You need to unplug the knock sensor, connect the positive to the terminal in the plug and the black lead to ground preferably on the engine. You need to get a reading of about 530 to 580 ohms. If you get anything outside this parameter then there is an issue with the knock sensor.

If you require any further assistance please let me know. Thank you.
Old 24 May 2011, 12:20 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rswyatt
my car is still idling bad. it starts up well. idles healthy. get to the end of my drive way and up the rd and by that time, if i put the clutch in and let the revs drop all the way it struggles to stay alive. just sits around 700 and sometimes dies. quite abit lately. sometimes it idles normally. i think its running rich and flooding itself but dont no why. have tried adjusting both screws on throttle body and icv. two codes have come up, temp sensor and knock sensor. then i reset the ecu. went fotr a drive and only knock sensor came back. any ideas??
You should really of done a error check before getting the spanners out. By blindly 'adjusting' random sensors you have doubled the amount possible problems.

The symptoms sound more like CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor 21).

What is the idle at cold?

Although 700rpm is at the lowest end, it is not 'to' low, mine sits at 725rpm when warm.

By resetting the ECU, do you mean you just disconnected the battery for a length of time? Do a 'proper' reset:

http://www.jollygreenmonster.com/ecu.asp.htm

This allows the ECU to 'self check' the system and gives you any errors, or the 'all clear' at the end.

If the KS has gone then you will need to source the correct MY replacement as they are not serviceable. The best you can do is to check it's secure, and that the condition of the wiring is good.
Old 25 May 2011, 01:27 AM
rswyatt
Scooby Newbie

no to reset i put green to green and black to black. um the idle sits around 700 but usuall y lower and wants to die. it puffs black smoke out the exhaust will idling low and sometimes stalls by flooding itself. i can sometimes get it to idle good at lights but rarely if i accelerate and try get it to stick around 1.1. idle at cold is good. once a little warm it starts to play up but if i turn it off, it is never a propblem to start it again unless it stalls. thats y i dont belive its the cts
Old 25 May 2011, 11:04 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

no to reset i put green to green and black to black.
Well done.

um the idle sits around 700 but usuall y lower and wants to die.

idle at cold is good.
What is the idle rpm at cold start???????

it puffs black smoke out the exhaust
Which is unburnt fuel.

will idling low and sometimes stalls by flooding itself.
It is not flooding per se, (carburetor issue) it is over fueling or not burning corrctly.

once a little warm it starts to play up
A fudged KS will send duff info to the ECU which in turn will pull your timing and reduce power.
If the CTS is fudged it will continually over fuel as the ECU will think the car is always cold. Hence when you get warm there is to much fuel going in.
If the plugs and/or coil packs are fudged then there will be no/weak spark and fuel will pass unburnt.

Check the picture below and make sure the pipe with the red line is properly secured and not holed. Just a thought.

Name:  DSC00299-3-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  250.2 KB
Old 25 May 2011, 09:12 PM
rswyatt
Scooby Newbie

yep i have that hose connected. um idle is at 1.5 when start up. then drive, then idle drops down to 500-700.